NEWS

Giving a Player the Boot

• 50 Replies

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #45 on: <10-14-12/1654:23> »
(In a prison cafeteria somewhere...)
shhh... don't let FastJack catch you talkin' bout the Karma System, man. Last guy to do that got turned into a human turducken. With his head. ;D

Joking aside, you don't really need the Karma System to show approval. Just type out +1 to the person who's comment you approve of, and state the reason why you did it.

PS: Wells, +1 for you. The examples list is useful for referencing what a good GM should do when talking to a problem player. Kudos. 8)

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #46 on: <10-14-12/1849:15> »
sorry guys, i'll skip most of the comments and make a general post to what else happened with this kid. This might have been his first couple of games with us but he was an experienced RPer and those are honestly all i can remember of what actually happened, its been 8 years or better. That said, maybe we were a bit tough on the kid, however when it came out later that he was only there to drag his buddy, (the GM's son) out of the game so they could hang out and get into trouble, we really didnt feel bad about it.
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Stonefur

• Newb
« Reply #47 on: <11-13-12/0043:59> »
It is a matter of 1. Intent, and 2. Effort.  If they intend to "play the game" to the benefit of the whole table, and put in the effort to make that happen, then they can stay.  My best advice is to never ever let the twink character get beyond paper, because the intent is to self stimulate an obviously diseased ego, and their "effort" goes into the same self serving ego trip.  Twinkies are for eating.   

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <11-16-12/0649:33> »
Had a problem with a play who was like this. played with him for years, but started noticing the bad signs of a bad play (roll and covering of dice, seemingly needing to be the actions center at all times, etc). called him out on it once, and hoped that would stop it. he eventually killed a RPG I had been running with his egotism and I gave him the boot with few regrets

The group was kinda sensitive after that so I handled and glossed over the rough edges. Then a long time player who had been mostly supportive started turning strange after a while. I am thinking his lack of employment might have been doing things to his perception of propriety. he started get more crude and was deliberately pushing what he could get away with and began to remind me of a juvie who liked getting others in trouble (he even smiled when the previous player got the boot). His pushing the envelope got to the point I asked him to dail it back a bit as it was making the female players uncomfortable. He chose to ignore me and picked on on of the other players as a target to screw with.

Eventually it got to be disruptive and I pulled him and the other player aside and said for them to settle whatever it was that was setting them against each other. the other player tried. the first didn't. He got a time out and put away from the game. to help out, I offered to help get him a job, using some personal pull. He declined and whined at me. things hit a rough spot as I tried getting the group back in order and I got used to my new jobb, pulling very long hours. One day, I got this rather long and involved guilt email from the offending player. I don't do guilt. We've not spoken since.

kinda sucks. but what can you do?
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Stonefur

• Newb
« Reply #49 on: <11-16-12/1245:55> »
 :o...i hate it when people forget about the game and having fun, and not at the expense of the game, system, other players, and GM.

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #50 on: <11-18-12/1107:52> »
It sucks, but it happens, and there's really nothing you can do.

When you get right down to it, most people that end up getting booted from a game are relatively long term friends that have recently gained issues making them disruptive to the game. If it's a new player, they don't get booted, they just never get invited back.

I had to boot a player just a couple weeks back that had gotten disruptive by griping about every choice other players made if it wasn't the action he suggested. Everything from planning and legwork to actual combat, gripe gripe gripe constantly to the point he wound up yelling at everyone at the end of the session and storming out of the house. We've been friends for a few years now, now we're not. His choice, not mine. It's a game. Get to serious about it, and things get unhealthy.

Sad thing about this one is that he had been warned repeatedly before, and had just been let back in the group (group vote) after being kicked for the same reason.