NEWS

French translation of "oldfur"?

• 4 Replies

Rascal

• Newb
« on: <09-04-12/1545:12> »
For larp-reasons, I need a suitable French translation for the moniker "oldfur", meant at least kind of respectfully towards a veteran soldier. It needs to be short, preferably one-word. Little help?
"If you don´t stop driving through walls I´m going to start rolling for the van to explode - this is an American game!"

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-04-12/1625:20> »
I'm not a larper, but I'm fluent in French (although it is not my native language, but then again, neither is english).  So can you describe what 'oldfur' is supposed to mean and maybe I can help you.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Rascal

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-04-12/2330:30> »
I see it as something like "greybeard", perhaps with a bit of "oldtimer" in it. Not altogether a good thing. The character is mostly known as "le Loup", but since he´s a long-time mentor I want my own name for him.
"If you don´t stop driving through walls I´m going to start rolling for the van to explode - this is an American game!"

Smiley

• Omae
  • Full of bad Lulz
« Reply #3 on: <09-05-12/1636:57> »
Alright, since I'm one of the very few native French speakers on this board, I'll give a try and help you in your quest for a french moniker.

Old fur is translated to "Vielle Fourrure", but it doesn't sound good for a serious nickname in French. But it could be used to make fun of an old man while remaining respectful to him. "Vieux Loup" (which translates to Old Wolf) is a nickname often bestowed on old tough guys. "Vielle Branche" (which translates to Old Branch) is used to mean Old Friend and "Vielle Peau" (which translates to Old Skin) is often used for an old person as a very mean way to adress them. "Vieux Sage" (which translates to Old Wiseman) is used for old men with a lot of experience to share.
"Fun? Frag yeah! Always is when that involves a bucket full of drek!"
-Smiley

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #4 on: <09-11-12/0004:55> »
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."