NEWS

Mystic Adept and Possession

• 2 Replies

Ryudo

• Newb
« on: <10-13-10/1727:08> »
I´ve got a little problem and would like to have your opinion:

Mystic Adept (Magic 8, 7 magic points in adept powers, 1 for magician stuff) and let´s say, 2 points of conjuring and channeling
If I summon a  spirit with force 1, does the character gain immunity to normal weapons and to what extend?

There is something about that in the Digital grimoire:

"So possession
requires the spirit make a Possession Opposed Test rolling
of 8 dice (Force 4 x 2) + the 6 dice modifier for the prepared
vessel against Johnny’s Willpower (5) + Intuition
(4)—one net hit is enough for the loa to ride the houngan
(increasing all his physical attributes by 4 and giving the
body Immunity to Normal Weapons for the duration)."
Page 13

Does this mean the body of my mystic adept has an armor of 2 (because it uses the spirits magic), an armor of 2 (because of the one magic point allocated to conjuring) or 16 (because of the magic the adept has alltogether)?

I think the second solution is not right, because in the FAQ it says:
"The Magic points allocated towards Magic-based skills counts for all aspects of those skills. This includes: Magic-linked skill tests (Summoning, Spellcasting, Enchanting, etc.), maximum spell Force, overcasting, etc."

and Immunity to Normal Weapon is not a Magic-based skill, but a Power:
For all other purposes—i.e., non-Magic-linked skills—the mystic adept's full Magic attribute is used: pressing through astral barriers, initiation grade limit, Masking metamagic, being assensed, etc.

With channeling (described in street magic page 54) the mystic adept gains more control over the body, wouldn´t this mean, he could use the power immunity to normal weapons with his own magic attribute?

I´m a little bit clueless here... thanks for answering.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <10-13-10/1808:45> »
Quote from: Street Magic, p. 101
Possession
      Type: P • Action: Complex • Range: Touch • Duration: Special
      Some spirits lack the ability to materialize, so they must possess vessels in order to interact with the physical plane. Each possession attempt requires a Complex Action in which the spirit touches the vessel’s aura and then accesses the physical plane and attempts to possess a vessel so that it may stay there. The spirit makes an Opposed Test pitting its Force x 2 against the vessel’s Intuition + Willpower Test (for living vessels). For inanimate vessels, the spirit makes a Force x 2 (vessel’s Object Resistance) Test. Apply a +6 dice pool bonus to the spirit if the vessel has been previously prepared (see Vessel Preparation, p. 86). If the test fails, the spirit is immediately forced back into the astral plane. If the test succeeds, the possession takes hold: the vessel and the critter are considered a single dual-natured entity for the duration. For the detailed eff ects of Possession, refer to the Possession and Vessels sidebar (p. 102).

Quote from: Street Magic, p. 102
POSSESSION AND VESSELS
      When a spirit possesses a vessel, the combined being that results is dual-natured, has Immunity to Normal Weapons (p. 289, SR4), and boasts all of the spirit’s powers and skills. Occasionally a possessing spirit’s nature manifests through the vessel in an effect similar to a shamanic mask (p. 168, SR4).
      Living Vessels
      If the vessel is a living creature, the spirit’s Force is added to the vessel’s Physical attributes. While possessed, the spirit’s Mental and Special attributes are used (which means that a possessed technomancer cannot access Resonance), with Initiative recalculated as normal (use the spirit’s normal Initiative Passes). The spirit is in full physical control of the vessel, but does not have access to the host’s knowledge, skills, or experience. The mind of the vessel remains in whatever state it was when possession began; if conscious, it becomes an impotent witness locked inside its own body for the duration. Possessing spirits cannot perceive or operate AR or direct neural or cybernetic interfaces, and do not benefi t from implants, cyberware, or nanoware that would require active control (i.e.: a spirit can benefi t from a vessel’s bone lacing or eye replacement, but cannot activate vision enhancements or a datajack).

Hope that helps. For more, I suggest you pick up the Street Magic.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-14-10/0227:39> »
Does this mean the body of my mystic adept has an armor of 2 (because it uses the spirits magic), an armor of 2 (because of the one magic point allocated to conjuring) or 16 (because of the magic the adept has alltogether)?
You character has ITNW 4(becouse you use the spirits forcex2), so getting possessed by such a low force spirit doesn't help much, i would succest at least force 6 spirit(max force of spirits is 2xyour total magic, as is the force of spells you can cast even if the FAQ tries to impose someones house rules on everyone else)
"An it harm none, do what you will"