NEWS

Hydrofoils are whack

• 24 Replies

shrike

• Chummer
  • The rep is dead. Long live the rep.
« Reply #15 on: <09-12-12/2045:20> »
Ultimately it depends on the type of game you are in as to whether this would be something the GM should either crush with extreme prejudice (read: "glee") or allow this type of James Bond tongue-in-cheek, physics-defying, vehicle of awesome. If you are playing in a more serious game, this could ruin the mood and kill believability in the setting itself. While, yes, we are playing in a fictional universe, there needs to be some established guidelines as to what can and cannot happen in "reality" or the game disintegrates.

As an aside, the idea of it is pretty cool.  :D
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #16 on: <09-12-12/2045:31> »
damn i take too long typing this crap out, thanks to both of you, a4bg and shrike.

so instead of making a "pure" hydrofoil, might i suggest a car with extendable bottom "layer" that pops down enough for a planing surface (like a skim board) and the chosen drive attached to that portion.

i'm not trying to say that it'd be perfect and physics and engineering might just make the driver die in a big bloody splash.

what i am saying is that if you had a system designed to convert on the move, you would ensure the system would survive the conversion.
though nothing that i've found in arsenal or deadly waves says anything about being still to convert.
« Last Edit: <09-12-12/2047:04> by beowulf_of_wa »
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #17 on: <09-12-12/2055:42> »
It's realism, sure, but it's going too far with the realism at the expense of story, awesome cinematic action scenes and fun. Taking those into account, dump the "realistic" approach in the nearest toxic-waste dump, IMO.

Even story, fun, and awesome cinematic action scenes have strong nods to realism.  And a vehicle with this sort of mod is certainly going to have an awesome cinematic action scene - a big and nasty crash.

Also, this is one of those times when you Do Not allow a player to get away with something shockingly stupid.  Or do you allow them to kill trolls with a dice pool of 5 and a holdout pistol, for the story and fun and awesome cinematic action scene?  No, of course not; that fits neither in-game realism or RL realism.  So why would you let someone build or get away with something so obviously BS, when it violates both in-game realism (see Colorado Craft cigarette-hydrofoil above) and RL realism?

I'm all for good fun, great story, and awesome cinematic action scenes.  But allowing this is the pinkest of Pink Mohawks, so that may be what you like in your game.  Isn't what I like, though, so ... *BOOM!!*
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-12-12/2124:32> »
Even story, fun, and awesome cinematic action scenes have strong nods to realism.

Not to the extremes you seem to want to take "realism".

I'm all for good fun, great story, and awesome cinematic action scenes.

Sure as heck doesn't seem like it going by how much you harp on "realism".
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #19 on: <09-12-12/2313:10> »
Mmmm.  You go for Pink Mohawk and/or Superspy, I guess.  You can play this however you like, A4BG.  Me and my table - and when it gets down to it, baseline SR - prefer(s) a bit more realism in its technological physics.  Feel free to dump it in your games, though.  I'm sure you'll have fun.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <09-13-12/0904:32> »
Isn't this quite a pointless argument, hydrofoil is mod for watercrafts not groundcrafts?
"An it harm none, do what you will"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <09-13-12/1023:00> »
It's a very pointless argument. And, if not careful, could get the thread locked and some warnings sent out.

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #22 on: <09-13-12/1236:50> »
Isn't this quite a pointless argument, hydrofoil is mod for watercrafts not groundcrafts?

One Amphibious is added, the Groundcraft is a watercraft

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-14-12/1646:32> »

One Amphibious is added the Groundcraft can move in water, so if you have that you can allready drive your car of the pier and continue on your merry way in the water, no need for the hydrofoil.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #24 on: <09-15-12/1236:12> »

One Amphibious is added the Groundcraft can move in water, so if you have that you can allready drive your car of the pier and continue on your merry way in the water, no need for the hydrofoil.

But couldnt you then add Hydrofoil to get its benefits as well? Thats my point.