NEWS

Water to Land, Air to Water Mods

• 6 Replies

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« on: <09-10-12/1602:12> »
So the players in my newest game acquired the Hawker-Riddley Skytrain and had a contact hide it for them during the months that followed. The goal is apparently to use it with legit flight plans when possible, so thankfully no heavy weapon mounts.

They have asked if it could be ewuipped with Life Support and Ballast Tanks, so that they can submerge it 50ft after water landings, which I'm cool with. But how would you run making it submaribe- or land-mobile? Use Amphibious as the guideline? Or am I missing a better alternative?

Halancar

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <09-10-12/1734:03> »
The Flotation mod allows the plane to land on water, they'll need it. Or else it will think straight to the bottom of the sea, ballast tanks or no ballast tanks :(. At that point, they can probably sail around if they really want to, that's just running the propellers low enough that the plane stays on the water. Same for landmobile, presumably the place has some wheels to make it easier to move around on the ground, so as long as you are on a nice flat surface, you can drive around.

There is no modification in the rules to make a plane able to move underwater, so I guess you would have to use Amphibious as a model. I don't see the (presumably) internal combustion engines normally propelling the plane as practical underwater, so I would say go for the level 2 Amphibious as a model, adding some batteries, and electrical motor and a propeller designed for water...

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-10-12/1758:41> »
I figured that as a tilt-wing aircraft, Amphibious could apply by modding the wing engines and the tilt mechanism. Glad you pointed out Flotation device, I'd forgotten about it. I did point out that their sonar signature is gonna be horrible because of the wings and tail ailerons.

I think the primary land question was in how to get the wings folded, at least some. That would let it be stored easier, and drop their sonar signature.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #3 on: <09-10-12/1957:50> »
I figured that as a tilt-wing aircraft, Amphibious could apply by modding the wing engines and the tilt mechanism. Glad you pointed out Flotation device, I'd forgotten about it. I did point out that their sonar signature is gonna be horrible because of the wings and tail ailerons.

I think the primary land question was in how to get the wings folded, at least some. That would let it be stored easier, and drop their sonar signature.

If it's tilt-wing, then you can just say the wings turn pure vertical and then fold back along the tail. No real mod needed, though you could always make them take a 1-slot "Special Equipment".
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #4 on: <09-10-12/2004:24> »
Some special environmental mod would be good too, representing having to be airtight to keep out all that lake/sea water
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #5 on: <09-11-12/2325:30> »
of course, with extended wings and aerial control surfaces, it's be basically too maneuverable under water,,

huge control surfaces and airplane weight,, all sorts of underwater zippy, though probably susceptible to a slow fish hitting the windscreen and breaking the pressure seal.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-12-12/0929:34> »
I'm leaning towards multiple applications of a Vehicle-sized version of Weapon Powered Breakdown for folding the wings and ailerons, and I assume Life Support includes windscreen reinforcements and airtight seals. So:

Powered Breakdown
-for wings
Life Support
-obvious reasons
Ballast Tanks
-to submerge
Amphibious
-for underwater mobility
Flotation Device
-for buoyancy