NEWS

Shadowrun Rulebook: Alternate Format Options?

• 3 Replies

Ork_Adept_1970

• Newb
« on: <08-17-12/0840:06> »
Let me begin by saying I love the 20th Anniversary rulebook. I own two copies, one first print run, and the latest version.

But I ride a lot of public transit, and the book is a bugger to carry and read on the train.

I would love to see both a stripped down ePub version (no art, laid out with small eReaders in mind) AND a stripped down B&W softcover with minimal art and clean layout. I'd buy both of these. 

I know Catalyst possesses limited staff, and of course right now they're at Gen Con, but do folks think there's any chance we might see this at some point? 

Thanks! 

Demerzel

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-18-12/0005:20> »
I think with the steady march of technology you'll find devices like the Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1" will become inexpensive enough and cheap enough that the currently formatted pdf versions will be sufficient for that market segment. Currently you can find the tablet mentioned above (I use one) for well under $400 (this month Costco has them with a $40 instant rebate off of something like $380, so when I say under $400 I mean out the door under $400 with a case included).

The 7" version is a crisp c-note cheaper as well, and would sill be sufficient for pdfs if you're willing to deal with having to move the screen around a bunch to read a full page. I should try some PDF's on my mother's nook and see what I think of it on her 7" sized device, and a Fire is only $200.

Furthermore, the Galaxy Tab probably isn't even the cheapest 10" Android device. Not to mention the secondary market as these devices get upgraded from.

Given that I imagine that presenting small form e versions optimized for e-ink readers may be a little backward looking.

That said I wouldn't mind seeing a trade paperback sized version of the corebook. It would certainly allow them to produce a PDF sized well for a 7" tablet.  When I read my hard copy of Cosmic Patrol it is smaller than the minimum zoom on my 10" Galaxy Tab. That's a size of book that would be great for a 7" reader.

Ork_Adept_1970

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-20-12/1516:03> »
I own a Fire, and while I do not yet own the 20th Anniversary PDF, I've read other similarly sized PDfs on it and found it to be too fiddlly for the interface. 

With the march of technology, a cheaper, more robust tablet could be in my future. 

In the meantime, I would still love to see smaller, more spartan version of the rules to ride alongside the glorious 20th Anniversary edition.

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-24-12/1402:38> »
I second the Galaxy 10.1, as it works very well for reading Shadowrun pdfs without much scrolling; I just have to move a page about 1/4 up or down as I go along. Very handy at the game table as well.

Admittedly, not cheap. Definitely less clunky than a laptop, though. And a lot better than when I tried doing it with an ipod touch...
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.