NEWS

Skinlink and it's limitations

• 24 Replies

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <08-22-12/1406:30> »
It appears that the needed adjustments for attaching a skinlink (the transceiver, the fiberoptic threads to controls, disabling wireless) are sufficiently complex/invasive that it requires a mod slot.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

esprism

• Newb
  • did you say light ?
« Reply #16 on: <08-24-12/0949:02> »
My vision of skinlink wich i use very often.

does skinlink require direct contact with the user's skin (as the name STRONGLY suggests), or can it transmit through clothing (I've seen vague references to this being stated in Unwired somewhere, but I've yet to find it myself)?

It can go trough little clothing but if you don't like the idea consider that clothes have conductive parts made for that or add mod to the armor/clothe.

Can skinlink be used to directly issue commands to an item, or is it merely a method of connecting 2 (or more) devices together (I.E., is it a DNI in it's ow right, or just another way for your ~comlink~ to talk with your PAN)?

No, skinlink is just like a way of communication. I consider you need at least a DNI. Device need skinlink mod and an implented way to command it or a command program.

What's eveyone's feelings on your skin's 'dataload', I.E. how many device can you connect over your skin before the data just becomes useless noise?

No real limit like datajack. As stated in rule you should consider dataload only for huge amount of data.

Can a person with a full cyberlimb use skinlink on that limb, even though they have no 'skin'?

Yes, except if he has MDS Subdermal Sheath (rc p 35)

any other question/answers/clarifications people can com up with?

Problem is "touch" hacking :) any consideration about that ?
Can I do a structural analysis ?
(I have only one dice in English :p)

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-24-12/1115:23> »
Touch hack is really going to only be an issue if the opposition has some sort of subtle way to hack your skinlink. Darts (homebrew) or invader nano's are the only thing that really comes to mind, and if they are using Nanoware against you you have whole other problems.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <08-24-12/1409:13> »
Here's another question I just thought of... can a realistically manifested spirit use skin link?  O.o  (putting aside for a second the whole 'no TVs or AR' argument).
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <08-24-12/1417:06> »
Use in what way? The answer is probably no regardless but i'm curious where you going with it, as a connection medium? I'd say no probably not.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <08-25-12/0046:00> »
Use in what way? The answer is probably no regardless but i'm curious where you going with it, as a connection medium? I'd say no probably not.

As a connection medium, yes.  When realistic, a spirit posses a measureable pulse, heartbeat and regular breathing rate, so just wondering if it would have the fain electrical field around it's form that would allow skinlink to work.
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

Kat9

« Reply #21 on: <09-04-12/0046:50> »
CanRay's definition would be perfect, if it were... today. Except its not... its 50-60 years in the future... which means they have technology. "Skinlink" is not a hub, or a router, or a switch, it is a media type. Just like Cat3, Cat5, Cat6, Coax, Fiber-Optic.
You forgot Kat-9.  ;D

I love you too man!

Noctem

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <09-04-12/2043:23> »
I agree with the premise is just a MEDIA type.  Basically it is the tunnel that the information travels instead of using wifi or whatever else.  You stil need a way to interpret and use the information.  I believe that there's even references to using a simrig for this sort of thing.  So basically have a commlink + simrig + skinlink + information gathering stuff (like your eye contacts that have a camera inside) and you have a real time processing of various information sources (senses) onto your vision, or if you have a smartlink, onto your glasses or contact lenses.  I believe that the skinlink should be either in direct contact with the weapon or close.  For example having light gloves on shouldn't interfere with it but having baking mitts on or something probably will. 

For the questions:

I don't think it's possible to tell a gun to eject its clip because that's something that a smartlink states it can do.  However if you have skinlink and a smartlink on your gun you can absolutely use that to make the clip eject.  So telling devices what to do is possible as long as you have skinlink, the device has skinlink and other requirements for the action you wish to perform are met.

As for the limits of the quantity of information you can get, well there are none listed anywhere so I suppose it would actually be dependant on the devices you use along with the skinlink.  There's no limit to how much information you can try to download onto a hard drive, but the limit of the hard drive itself right ?
Non nobis Domine
Sed nomini tuo da gloriam.

_Pax_

« Reply #23 on: <09-04-12/2203:44> »
You need a way to interface with your own skinlink, too.

Cheapest (imlanted) way I know is a Datajack ... modified with Skinlink capability.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <09-04-12/2243:42> »
Skinlinked gun w/smartlink plus cybereyes w/smartlink = valid per rules thanks to cyberware having optional skinlink as a gratis.

Skinlinked gun w/smartlink plus skinlinked datajack plus cybereyes w/smartlink = my preferred method

Skinlinked gun w/smartlink plus skinlinked's goggles = +2 dice, but no eject as a free action (you have no way to input the command to the device in a timely enough matter to satify)

The above with some form of DNI, including hated trodes does satisfy the the above requirement.

Bottom line, you should really need some form of DNI to get the most out of cybereyes, by the rules you really only need it for the eject clip.