Lifespan of shapeshifter

• 24 Replies

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #15 on: <07-26-12/0746:25> »
Thanks all  ;D

Regards Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #16 on: <07-26-12/2111:59> »
You're mixing up Changeling and Shifter, farothel.

Why can't there be a shapeshifters that shift to giant insects?  I don't have my books here, so I can't look it up, but I assume a lot of animals are possible, including insects.

With very few exceptions - and right off the top of my head, the Eagle SS is the only one I can think of - shapeshifters are mammals.  Most are of fairly good size (wolf, bear, etc.).  Understand also that 'shapeshifter' is based off the 'werewolf' and similar ideas world-wide; metagame-wise, SR takes the old tales and says that they are based in fact, and here's the fact behind them - shapeshifters.  AFAIK, there are no RL legends of insects who can turn into people.

Besides, that's what insect spirits are for.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #17 on: <07-26-12/2225:03> »
I thought it was also incorporating the wealth of myths involving animal spirits taking human form (such as the Huli Jing in China).  Actually, there is a wide and varied wealth of folklore to draw upon.

Norse Berserkers could take the form of wolves and bears.

Mayan myth has eagle shapeshifters

Fox spirits in china and japan.  Japan also has cats, badgers and racoons. China has lots of animal spirits taking human form, particularly after buddhism started takin root in China and the idea that animal spirits could 'earn' human form.

Selkie, were-seals of a sort, from scotland

Maras, she wolves, from Scandanvia

Naga were said to be able to take human form (in Malay, the kings decend from one such marriage..)

Snake shapeshifters appear in Tatar lore as a Yuxa, a snake shapeshifter, and the Madame White Snake tail in China.

Almost all Shapeshifters in RL myth are mammals or at least warm blooded.  The exception are references to dragons, naga and the above snake examples.

I vaguely remember 'spider woman' from native american lore.. hmm... Hopi? 

But actual insects?  I havent found any examples.

Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #18 on: <07-26-12/2230:39> »
Anansi could take human form in certain stories, so arachnids could be in.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #19 on: <07-26-12/2244:08> »
I think after Bug City, any insect shapeshifters would have a really hard time convincing people they are not an insect spirit. If they were smart, they would stay hidden cause the attitude of just about everyone is "if it got more then 4 legs, fill it with lead".

Not saying there couldn't be.... Just they they have most likely been wiped out, or reduced in numbers to such an extent they might as well not exist.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #20 on: <07-26-12/2245:35> »
What would a shapeshifter viewed from the astral plane look like? (always wondered about that...)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #21 on: <07-26-12/2248:45> »
There animal form.  Afterall, they are not humans, but animals who can take human form.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

FlyDog

• Newb
  • Hail to the King, baby!
« Reply #22 on: <07-26-12/2258:54> »
The lifespan of a shapeshifter is the time it takes my ex-Red Army street sam who was stuck on the Russia/Yakut border detail to disengage the safety and level his AK-97.....
"Haven't met a problem yet that can't be solved with my Super Warhawk.  This includes long division."

_Pax_

« Reply #23 on: <07-27-12/0026:01> »
Flydog, I've seen some shifters who could turn your typical street-samurai into mincemeat in HALF the time it'd take yours to unsling and safety-off that assault rifle.  :)

FlyDog

• Newb
  • Hail to the King, baby!
« Reply #24 on: <07-27-12/0028:18> »
If I wanted a boring life I'd be a wageslave or living in the ACHE, baby.
"Haven't met a problem yet that can't be solved with my Super Warhawk.  This includes long division."

Register