Street Doc

• Newb
« on: <07-14-12/2225:43> »
Doc (Troll) 400BP
B 5, A 2, R 4, S 5, C 3, I 4, L 6/7, W 4, E 1, Ess 5.4, Init 8, IP 1
Condition Monitor boxes (Physical/Stun): 11/10
Sony Emperor Commlink Condition Monitor: 10
Armor (Ballistic/Impact): 12/11
Skills: Biotech Group 4, Chemistry 2, Computer 1, Data Search 1, Dodge 3, Etiquette 2 (Medical +2), Extended Care 3, Implant Surgery 3, Negotiation 2 (Business Deals +2), Pilot Ground Craft 2 (Wheeled +2), Pistols 1, Trauma Surgery 5
Knowledge Skills: Biology 4, Business 4, Chemistry 2, English N, Guerilla Theatre 2, Italian 3, Japanese 3, Literature - Sci-Fi 2, Music 2, Seattle Street Gangs 4, Street Drugs 4
Metatype Abilities: Armor (+1/+1), Enhanced Senses: Thermographic Vision
Qualities: Allergy, Uncommon (Mild): Gold, Analytical Mind, Black Market Pipeline: Cybertechnology: Paul Franks, Day Job (5000 nuyen/month, 40 hrs/week) (3), Exceptional Attribute: Logic, Pacifist (Self-Defense), Spirit Bane: Spirits of Earth
Cyberware:
. . Cybereyes (3) with Eye Recording Unit, Flare Compensation, Image Link, Low-Light Vision, Protective Covers, Smartlink, Thermographic Vision, Vision Enhancement (1), Vision Magnification
. . Datajack
Bioware:
. . Cerebral Booster (1)

My current character.  I wanted to play something different.  And whats more different then a troll who's a doctor!  I thought I would post him and see what others thought of doc.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-15-12/0020:48> »
A potential problem with this character is that builds focused on only one thing tend to be boring for the rest of the time.  It's a delicate balance between being good at what you do, and being capable enough to contribute to the team in other areas.  This guy is good for healing people, but if he doesn't have anything he can do when the team is negotiating, or sneaking, or in a fight, then I am worried you might not find him that satisfying to play.

Purely mechanical advice:
If you are using the optional rule where medicine is a skill group, and the separate specializations are skills - then don't take the biotech skill group, take medicine as a skill group, and get first aid and cybertechnology as the separate skills.

Another level of cerebral booster would take you to the augmented limit, and give you another die for all of your Logic-related skills.  For that matter, you might also consider getting PuSHeD for another +1 bonus.

Henzington

• Omae
  • Stun rounds+Edge=Lethal
« Reply #2 on: <07-15-12/0242:33> »
This kind of character makes a fine npc/contact but honestly not a player character.  That said you have a combat medic its not hard to build that into a say street sam or hell even a hacker/rigger but having a character just do it means npc generally.
Whenever I am at a loss for I should do, I ask myself what would Michael Weston do?

Street Doc

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-15-12/0951:40> »
Thanks for the Biotech skill group didn't even notice that lol, that will save me a lot of BP.

Overall I have been enjoying the character and I don't mind him not being combat focused.  While I am focused on being the medic I have not been limited to that I end up doing a lot of the legwork for the group which I highly enjoy.  Plus it helps that we are on the investigation aspect of the campaign right now so I actually end up doing a lot.  While i'll be next to useless in combat I'm ok with that because it should be fun when I actually have to fight  ;D

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #4 on: <07-15-12/1018:33> »
Hearing how much you've enjoyed it, my only suggestion would be taking the Rigger cybereware, buying an Evo Orderly, and using it for some remote medic duties as well; tjat also lets you use your good Pilot Skills with a other rigged vehicles, giving you some additional versatility.

Street Doc

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-15-12/1106:31> »
Never thought about using an Evo Orderly (Didn't even know about lol)  And now having looked at it, I'm intrigued to use it and I think it would really fit the character to use it.  Thanks for pointing it out to me  :)

Mythik

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-15-12/1142:00> »
I'll pass along the bit of advice I got from Rasmusnicolaj (credit where credit is due...). Switch out Pistols 1 for Heavy 1 (possibly purchase specialization: grenade launcher too if you can spare 2 BP) and buy an Arms Tech MGL-6. I picked one up with Airburst Link, Ext SmartGun, extra clip, extended clip and a nice combination of smoke, frag HE and flash grenades. Mine cost 6660 credit with Advanced Biometric Safety and all the other goodies I listed (including ammo), it will go further than just a pistol, plus give you the option to form your battle field by creative use of smoke and such.

I can picture the troll medic running downrange to treat a fallen teammate, popping smoke and flash grenades with rounds zipping all around him...seems really exciting.

EDIT: I don't see any other add'l gear, so beyond adding your character to my HL ground up, I'm not sure how much cred you have left over from your Cyber/Bio wear purchases.
« Last Edit: <07-15-12/1218:45> by Mythik »

JmOz01

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-15-12/1253:45> »
Someone once suggested to me to get rid of Cybereyes and replace with contacts.  Seems like it would be good idea for this character too.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #8 on: <07-15-12/1308:14> »
Never thought about using an Evo Orderly (Didn't even know about lol)  And now having looked at it, I'm intrigued to use it and I think it would really fit the character to use it.  Thanks for pointing it out to me  :)

One thing to remember, though: The art and the text description don't mesh.

Check with your GM and see if he/she wants the Orderly as 1) A giant walker-mode "wheelchair", like a Transys Steed with extra bells and whistles or 2) A humanoid, EMT-style personal medical assistant.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Street Doc

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <07-15-12/1401:29> »
Interesting ideas here.  I didn't post the gear I gave him which I have a fair bit of.  I'm going to have to talk to my GM anyway sense the with the change of the biotech group and just using the First Aid and cybertechnology I get a fair bit of points back.  So with these ideas I can do a lot.  Defiantly gonna have to think about what I can.  I really do like these ideas posted.

I really do like the Evo Orderly and using it remotely allows me to do more in combat.  I like the idea of a humanoid EMT style drone myself.

groduick

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <07-16-12/0716:42> »
You can also modify UmaroVI Transhuman Mystic into a troll combat medic, with good pools in healing and combat, and the occasional magic spell.

MachineGunBallet

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <07-16-12/1123:25> »
I concur with much of what I'm hearing here.

Multiple roles is key to fun for a player.  Even if you look at the 'Troll Vat job' I posted, you'll note that he's unusually smart (Logic augmented to 6).  He's meant to grow into other roles like Medicine.  Otherwise... he's pretty much one dimensional.

If you did this in reverse... build a character that's great at medicine (Combat Medic fresh from the battlefields?), but also good with a gun or hand to hand (Troll).  Combine medical knowledge with Cybernetics knowledge, and some scanners (look up Radar), and you can now tell the other players what kind of augments they are facing.  They'll thank you later.

"Two Guys coming through the door!  Get ready... second one through is a heavily augmented, eyes on him.  I slap a stim patch on the Elf and get him back in the fight. Next initiative Pass, I draw my gun."

Emphasis... Logic, Intuition, Agility.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #12 on: <07-16-12/1401:32> »
You know, I just realized that nobody's mentioned this:

If you want to go Adept and take Mind Over Matter, you can dump your Agility down to 1 and focus on boosting your Logic as high as it will go. Being a better at Logic will literally make you better in combat, since your Logic would replace your Agility in all Agility rolls.

Next, since you already need Cerebral Boosters, get Genetic Optimization (Logic) geneware, to replace Exceptional Attribute.

Also take Changeling (SURGE Class II) for Metagenetic Improvement (Logic) (+1 to max and min!) and a couple Negative Metagenetic Qualities that sound fun for giving your character style. Extravagant Eyes and Scales for a bit of a "snake" thing, or Striking Skin Pigmentation and Unusual Hair to make him look like The Hulk. Whatever sounds cool for you.

Combined, they put you at 7(10) for your Logic cap. Bump up to Cerebral Booster 3, and there ya go. A Troll that has Logic 10 and can shoot at the baseline Elf cap.

EDIT: Actually, since it looks like Exceptional Attribute is your only Positive Quality, you have plenty of room to take EA, MI, and GO together, since killing Agility down to 1 will free up the 10 BP for Changeling. That puts you at 8(12) which, practically speaking, means Logic 11.

Also, going Adept lets you get Improved Ability, which can potentially boost your key skills by +3, once they're at 6.
« Last Edit: <07-16-12/1414:36> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Street Doc

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <07-18-12/1005:43> »
You know, I just realized that nobody's mentioned this:

If you want to go Adept and take Mind Over Matter, you can dump your Agility down to 1 and focus on boosting your Logic as high as it will go. Being a better at Logic will literally make you better in combat, since your Logic would replace your Agility in all Agility rolls.

Next, since you already need Cerebral Boosters, get Genetic Optimization (Logic) geneware, to replace Exceptional Attribute.

Also take Changeling (SURGE Class II) for Metagenetic Improvement (Logic) (+1 to max and min!) and a couple Negative Metagenetic Qualities that sound fun for giving your character style. Extravagant Eyes and Scales for a bit of a "snake" thing, or Striking Skin Pigmentation and Unusual Hair to make him look like The Hulk. Whatever sounds cool for you.

Combined, they put you at 7(10) for your Logic cap. Bump up to Cerebral Booster 3, and there ya go. A Troll that has Logic 10 and can shoot at the baseline Elf cap.

EDIT: Actually, since it looks like Exceptional Attribute is your only Positive Quality, you have plenty of room to take EA, MI, and GO together, since killing Agility down to 1 will free up the 10 BP for Changeling. That puts you at 8(12) which, practically speaking, means Logic 11.

Also, going Adept lets you get Improved Ability, which can potentially boost your key skills by +3, once they're at 6.

Will that is really cool idea, it does not fit my character idea for Doc.  Who is a just a doctor, who happens to be a troll.

I concur with much of what I'm hearing here.

Multiple roles is key to fun for a player.  Even if you look at the 'Troll Vat job' I posted, you'll note that he's unusually smart (Logic augmented to 6).  He's meant to grow into other roles like Medicine.  Otherwise... he's pretty much one dimensional.

If you did this in reverse... build a character that's great at medicine (Combat Medic fresh from the battlefields?), but also good with a gun or hand to hand (Troll).  Combine medical knowledge with Cybernetics knowledge, and some scanners (look up Radar), and you can now tell the other players what kind of augments they are facing.  They'll thank you later.

"Two Guys coming through the door!  Get ready... second one through is a heavily augmented, eyes on him.  I slap a stim patch on the Elf and get him back in the fight. Next initiative Pass, I draw my gun."

Emphasis... Logic, Intuition, Agility.

Another good idea, but it also doesn't fit my character idea for this character.  Although this may be a good character growth idea.  Start off just a doctor who doesn't want to involve himself in violence but through is shadowrunning being forced to deal with it.  Eventually loosing pacifism and increasing/adding some combat skills.  I like the scanner idea and will probably start using it, thanks!

I'll pass along the bit of advice I got from Rasmusnicolaj (credit where credit is due...). Switch out Pistols 1 for Heavy 1 (possibly purchase specialization: grenade launcher too if you can spare 2 BP) and buy an Arms Tech MGL-6. I picked one up with Airburst Link, Ext SmartGun, extra clip, extended clip and a nice combination of smoke, frag HE and flash grenades. Mine cost 6660 credit with Advanced Biometric Safety and all the other goodies I listed (including ammo), it will go further than just a pistol, plus give you the option to form your battle field by creative use of smoke and such.

I can picture the troll medic running downrange to treat a fallen teammate, popping smoke and flash grenades with rounds zipping all around him...seems really exciting.

EDIT: I don't see any other add'l gear, so beyond adding your character to my HL ground up, I'm not sure how much cred you have left over from your Cyber/Bio wear purchases.

I took this idea and instead of having it on my actually character I put it on the Evo Orderly drone which I think will be a lot of fun.

groduick

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <07-18-12/1027:10> »
Don't forget to stick a nanohive somewhere and buy neocortical neural amplifier nanoware.