NEWS

Fixers and their Fees

• 18 Replies

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <07-16-12/0702:07> »
I as well firmly believe that an extra sum should be given for expenses like bribes and other cred spent in legwork--as well as expenses incurred like ammunition expenditure and the like.

I disagree - I think that the run payment should be a single figure (half up front, half on completion).  The Johnson doesn't want to know details, they want the job done deniably.  So the fee is X and how the runners spend it is their problem.

I agree that over the course of a month, they should be able to pay the rent, replace lost gear and save for upgrades, but it shouldn't be made explicit.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <07-16-12/0759:03> »
I as well firmly believe that an extra sum should be given for expenses like bribes and other cred spent in legwork--as well as expenses incurred like ammunition expenditure and the like.

I disagree - I think that the run payment should be a single figure (half up front, half on completion).  The Johnson doesn't want to know details, they want the job done deniably.  So the fee is X and how the runners spend it is their problem.

I agree that over the course of a month, they should be able to pay the rent, replace lost gear and save for upgrades, but it shouldn't be made explicit.
That is what negotiation is for. Otherwise known as "80% of the reason you have a Face on the team."
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Scarecrow71

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <07-16-12/1007:15> »
I want to thank everyone for their input on this.  I had to ask because, as I read the rule book, it made reference to the fixer getting paid, but never made it clear where the payment came from or how much it was.  Just wanted to prepare myself in the event our fixer in Tokyo Nights came back to us after the run and said something like "Good job - you got everything accomplished.  Now, about my payment for finding you the job..."  I doubt our GM would do that, but I have a bad habit of needing to be prepared for every situation I can think of.  It never pans out that way, but I try to be prepared anyhow.
I could wile away the hours conversing with the flowers
Consulting with the rain
And my head I'd be scratching while my thoughts were busy hatching
If I only had a brain...

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #18 on: <07-16-12/1430:04> »

That is what negotiation is for. Otherwise known as "80% of the reason you have a Face on the team."
Which is fine in many games, but I think some of us are (like always) coming from kind of a Missions-centric point of view.  I know we're encouraged, there, to work up pay on a "per-runner" basis, and to keep negotiations fairly straightforward, because there's no guarantee that there is a Face on the team, because no one knows if this group of six-to-eight random strangers is going to work together well enough to complete the job (much less to share the pay evenly between themselves), etc, etc.

Most of the time I hear the "individual payment" argument come up, it's because someone has been playing or running in convention games, and just wants to keep it simple.