NEWS

Rotating GMs

• 37 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <07-21-12/1352:48> »
I've only called one guy a munchkin to his face; he deliberately derailed every plot of every game we've ever been in together, but wasnt much of a powergamer. He just gets his kicks trying to avoid story advancement.

I wouldn't likely call them any thing to their face, but I think "asshole" might be a good moniker in that case.  ::)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #31 on: <07-21-12/1406:31> »
Every player has their quirks. One guy takes 10 minuted every IP, one guy wants a storyless sandbox, or you've got a power gamer extraordinaire, or my great arch nemesis, the ex-White Wolf player *shudder*

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <07-21-12/1415:28> »
Every player has their quirks. One guy takes 10 minuted every IP, one guy wants a storyless sandbox, or you've got a power gamer extraordinaire, or my great arch nemesis, the ex-White Wolf player *shudder*

Are you using the last one to describe the player-type that just basically wants a 'soap opera'-like game that's almost like walking into a high school drama class and has pretty much no combat (or really dice rolls at all)?
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <07-21-12/1418:23> »
Pretty much. Especially common with young female gamers.

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <07-21-12/1916:41> »
In my experience, players GMing sometimes dont allow the very shenanigans that makes them annoying players. Or, in the case of super min-maxers and munckins, they know how to handle it because its what they do:

The best GM I've ever played with turned out to be the worst player I've every GM'd for.  He was a major shit disturber as a player, but, as a GM, his stories and adventures were of epic proportions.
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #35 on: <07-22-12/0340:51> »

Are you using the last one to describe the player-type that just basically wants a 'soap opera'-like game that's almost like walking into a high school drama class and has pretty much no combat (or really dice rolls at all)?

Pretty much. Especially common with young female gamers.

Just remember, that's not all people who started out with World of Darkness! My first RPG was oWoD Vampire, and my table was nothing like that.

I played a Brujah that was a cross between an IRA Guerrilla and a Viking raider... hell, my table really resembled what I now know to be a good Runner team. Brujah "Heavy Weapons Troll", Gangrel "Melee Adept", Toreador "Face", Nosferatu "Hacker", and Malkavian "CanRay".

The one time someone (the Toreador) wanted to waste time on existential wangst, his character got dangled by her throat, off the roof of a skyscraper, until he/she (female character, male player) agreed to can it. I got regular doses of extra XP for "acting In-Character" because of stunts like that. ;)
« Last Edit: <07-22-12/0347:19> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #36 on: <07-23-12/0253:15> »
Anyway... back on topic...

I, personally, find the best way to handle rotating the GM is to have each one do a separate campaign... in a separate system, if possible... and just share the same time-slot.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <07-23-12/0925:34> »
I've also seen different GMs for different aspects of the same game. I know 2 friends of mine did an Eclipse Phase game where one was the GM in civilzation (where social maneuvers mattered) and another was GM in hostile environments (loves him some survivalist suspense)