NEWS

The Insurance Wars and Atlanta from 2050 forward

• 6 Replies

MasterMikel

• Newb
« on: <05-08-12/0455:08> »
I've got Neo-Anarchist's Guide to NA, Shadows of NA, and the 6th world Almanac. Are there any other references to Atlanta (specifically), the CAS (Generally) or the companies involved in the Insurance Wars (Cord Mutual and North American Eagle)? I'm running the city for a group here, and trying to work up some sort of guide for the city, and I'm trying to peruse all of the official material on the city before I expand (and correct) it.

I mean seriously, why would you use Decatur as "Eastern Atlanta Metroplex?" Its inside the 285 Perimeter and has more in common with Downtown than it does actual East Atlanta. Ah well, things to be fixed.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

MasterMikel

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <05-08-12/0513:48> »
I found this link: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=3879.0 Which has a little. And this thread, which has a lot: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=5380.0

I'm still working through what's there, but my request for any other canon sources still stands. :)
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-08-12/0525:15> »
According to SOTA:2064, page 21, North American Eagle broke up and was absorbed by Cord, HKB and Aztechnology some times after the Insurance War. There is no other mention of Cord or North American Eagle that I know of.

The Neo-anarchist's Guide to North America Atlanta chapter says Cord was the largest insurance company in the world by 2054. It makes no mention at all of DocWagon, which is, according to The Neo-anarchist's Guide to Real Life, published the following year IRL, headquartered in Atlanta as well. It seems authors did not coordinate on this one. But maybe the lack of subsequent mention of "the largest insurance firm in the world" may be explained with Cord creating the DocWagon brand two years after the Insurance War as a spin-off subsidiary of some sort. And the DocWagon brand quickly got far more brand recognition than its parent company.

MasterMikel

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-15-12/2056:29> »
Nath,

Thanks for both of those references - that helps immensely. I've decided that while the previously written guide will inspire me, I'm going to start over completely. It seems that Kirk kinda fell off the grid as well. Kinda sad, I wouldn't have minded bouncing ideas his way. Still have a lot to fix from NAGtNA, but it's something to build from.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <06-16-12/0202:37> »
Bah, the Insurance Wars were nothing like the Cola Wars, now that was a bloody conflict!

The Insurance Wars was more like a Police Action.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

BlackMyron

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <06-16-12/1238:21> »
 Cord gets a brief mention in Prime Runners, but that's it.

As far as DocWagon, I think at the time of NAGNA, they hadn't set where DocWagon originated - the Dallas/Ft Worth entry indicated that DocWagon was just recently allowed to operate in CAS territory, somewhat absurd if they're based in Atlanta!

I think we can just chalk it up to the Shadowrun universe still being fleshed out at the time, but I do like the idea that they were spun off from Cord (much like NewsNet was eventually linked to Hisato-Turner)

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <06-16-12/1400:12> »
As far as DocWagon, I think at the time of NAGNA, they hadn't set where DocWagon originated - the Dallas/Ft Worth entry indicated that DocWagon was just recently allowed to operate in CAS territory, somewhat absurd if they're based in Atlanta!

Not necessarily so. Later books like Shadows of North America told us CAS rules for extraterritoriality are more stringent (with the ERLA and all that) than the default standard we're used to in Seattle and the UCAS. Cord Mutual has a worldwide presence, so when they want to launch a new service with armed ambulances and extraterritorial clinics, they may choose to do it in a country where the authorizations will be easier to get (and possibly where Lone Star would have less political influence to slow down what they may see as a competitor).

Plus, I mean, how do you plan to charge people an extra fee to have armed trauma team in Texas? Definitively not the best place to test market.

Again, this is making more sense than originally intended when they wrote the books.
« Last Edit: <06-16-12/1404:08> by Nath »