NEWS

The Street Scythe (Sword)

• 6 Replies

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« on: <07-20-12/1604:51> »
Hi, I need some help making sure this thing is kosher.
     What I need are help from all of you to make sure it's components are "balanced". Is the price too high/low, the availability/legality or any other suggestions you might have. Since there are no creation rules for guns I will be basing this weapon on items in the books. I’ll note the one that I use at the top of the entry. Just the base stats will be used, not the accessories, and prices will be based off the base item, Unless the prices are just ridiculous then I will use my judgment. Here ya go.

Yes. It's supposed to sound like a sales brochure.
I'm making up weapons to present to my GM. He decided that my stock portfolio has gained me a good sized interest in a small arms factory. So I'm preparing designs for them. I'll be posting the others soon and would like help there also. thank you all for your time.
     Also, none of this art is mine. I found it on the net and modified it when necessary, probably poorly, and is not meant for infringement.

The Street Scythe (Sword)
(based on baseline sword. Uses Exotic Weapon – Snap Blade)

Standard Upgrades/Accessories:  Personalized Grip, Easy Breakdown – Powered, Skinlink.

Snap sword           Reach           Damage          AP          Availability          Cost
                                   1               (STR/2+3)         -                  5R                    700Y

Vibro Snap Sword     Reach           Damage          AP    Availability          Cost
                                       1               (STR/2+4)          -2            5R                  2,350Y
(The “standard” model can be upgraded to a Vibro sword version for an additional 1650Y. Also either version can be made with Ceramic parts for 4,200Y standard or 14,100Y vibro)

The Street Scythe is the ultimate in concealed melee weaponry. When retracted the sword fits snug against your forearm, concealable in any long-sleeved jacket or coat. Fighting with one of these monster weapons can be challenging to learn, but we’ve included our training manual “Become a Street Reaper in 30 days!!” free of charge.
     It can be extended or retracted with a thought through the integral skinlink. When extended, the personalized ergonomic handle flips up into your palm and the blade snaps out of the motorized sheath. As an added safety feature once retracted, the handle folds back down onto the blade as a locking mechanism.
     When it’s retracted and capped, the sword is held firm with two adjustable Kevlar arm straps. We’ve made the sheath durable enough to be used as a protective parrying measure if the wielder gets surprised.

(The retracted sword may be used as a club with Reach – 0 Dam – (str/2+1)P and a -1 die attack modifier for being clumsy. Also the user is considered armed for parrying purposes. The easy breakdown was used just for the mechanics of construction it takes only a standard action to “draw” this weapon.)

((And no this isn't for my character. One of my other group members wanted this thing stat'ed up. I think it's dumb but, thay want what they want...))
« Last Edit: <07-20-12/1606:29> by DarkLloyd »
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #1 on: <07-22-12/0114:56> »
Looks good. How did you set the yen cost, though? I would make yen cost the same as the forearm snap blades cost plus the mods, plus a GM set amount if the mods are "integral" and so don't take mod slots.

It doesn't need Easy Breakdown though, it needs the a mod version of Hidden Arm slide...or just the accessory. Its cheaper and closer to resembling the fact it just slides in and out of the sleeve.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #2 on: <07-22-12/0244:51> »
Looks good. How did you set the yen cost, though? I would make yen cost the same as the forearm snap blades cost plus the mods, plus a GM set amount if the mods are "integral" and so don't take mod slots.

Um, just FYI, in Shadowrun they use Nuyen (pronounced "New Yen"), not Yen, even though they use the same symbol.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #3 on: <07-22-12/0342:49> »
yen is faster to type. Also, saying NEW Yen all the time seems kind of cumbersome to me. Thanks for the tip, though.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #4 on: <07-22-12/0841:04> »
I'd drop the damage potential by 1 to str/2+2 and str/2+3 and add an additional -1AP to both.

The Katar should be your closest equivalent, just this has more range and less ability to punch through armor.

Really, str/2+4 is overkill for a 1-handed weapon.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #5 on: <07-22-12/1011:55> »
Mason: I set the cost and the base stats from the baseline sword in the SR4a and built from there. Easy break down isn't there so it can be disassembled it's to simulate the mechanics of the gears and machines that fold and snap it out.

Kontact: I'm gonna think that over. some of that I like some I don't. Thank you.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <07-22-12/1222:50> »
Basically this weapon is a bigger version of a forearm snap blade.  In exchange for being able to hide it under your sleeve, you have to use Exotic Weapon (Street Scythe).  Personally I'll not go with Easy Breakdown and just have it +0 Conceal undeployed and have it take a free action to deploy.  Thus it's an weapon you can try to sneak into a party, deploy it, and then stab a dude.

The problem is that in the SR world, a cyberware scanner is just going to laugh at you for trying to sneak it in.  But beyond that, it's got a niche.  It's pricey niche since you have to have a special skill to use it, but it's almost tempting to someone willing to focus.  Otherwise, you'll just keep your Blades skill and put Powered Easy Breakdown on a katana.

As for the vibro option, I'll note what similar disadvantages it has to the vibro blade such as humming or battery life.  I wouldn't worry so much about the damage level here since this is what a vibro blade does.