NEWS

If I were to produce a Shadowrun T.V. series (Cross-posted)

• 24 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #15 on: <06-05-12/1327:16> »
Oh well, I'll think about it.  If FastJack or CanRay makes the same suggestion, I'll consider it in the revision.
I'm not sure if you meant it that way, but "Thanks for the house rule idea.  If Person X or Person Y suggests that idea, maybe I'll take the suggestion more seriously" is kind of a jerkish thing to say right to someone's (virtual) face.
« Last Edit: <06-05-12/1332:09> by Critias »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <06-05-12/1340:07> »
Oh well, I'll think about it.  If FastJack or CanRay makes the same suggestion, I'll consider it in the revision.
I'm not sure if you meant it that way, but "Thanks for the house rule idea.  If Person X or Person Y suggests that idea, maybe I'll take the suggestion more seriously" is kind of a jerkish thing to say right to someone's (virtual) face.

Definitely can come off that way.  On that house rule though, I've been tempted to rule using the old ratio from SR3 of 1000 per karma.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <06-05-12/1406:09> »

Then I'm sorry.

I like the rule, but people keep telling me you don't house rule Shadowrun.  Therefore, I am cautious about house ruling Shadowrun right now.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #18 on: <06-05-12/1414:38> »
It isn't that you don't house rule shadowrun, but rather that most house rules people try to come up with have wider ranging effects than they realize. It's the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" idea, coupled with the KISS principle. Most house rules tend to go against either or both of those concepts, which means they often cause more problems than they are designed to solve.

Thus, it isn't that you can't (or even shouldn't) houserule shadowrun, but rather that most house rules turn out to be colossally bad ideas, once people rip into them.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <06-05-12/1415:20> »
The 'cash for karma' is more grandfathering in an old optional rule from SR3.  The house rule for more contacts works well, though (Cha x 2 or Cha x 3 extra points just for contacts).

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <06-05-12/1432:13> »
SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Salt Lake Community College is a two year junior college that offers Associate Degrees in various fields.  In the world of Shadowrun, Salt Lake Community College is also run by the city rather than the State.  Most Shadowrunners (native to SLC) graduate from this college, however, leading to many to think that the Shadowrunning community is a bunch of Intellectual Trash (which is not true).  However, it's true that a high degree of Shadowrunners that graduate from the college use the PC term "Contract Corporate Spy," the amount of intelligence among Shadowrunners who graduate from this college is not at all less than those who graduate from the other colleges.

People in SLC go to SLCC to learn subjects that are typically not taught in Public Education but required in a four year University.   Although the Salt Lake City Anglo-Enclave have a public education program that is second to none; most High Schools do not teach literacy in Mathematics, Reading, and Writing.  They just teach the basics: Matrix Running, Browsing, what an Icon is, and so forth.  There are some High Schools in the valley that do teach Literacy, but they have been converted to Private Schools in order to charge ahead of the demand.

In 2071, the following programs are of Interest to Shadowrunners.

SLCC Athletics (Physical Adept related)
The athletic program trains Adepts in the Athletic tradition as well as the Martial Arts tradition.  Like the colleges above (which the Athletic programs won't be detailed until the first revision); SLCC has a fine Athletic program. The school doesn't have a swordsmanship program, but the college does sponsor a S.C.A. chapter.

Active Skills (Max. Rtg):
  • Athletics skill group (2)
  • Stealth skill group (2)
  • Outdoor skill group (2)
  • Perception (2)

Computer Science (Hacker related)

Computer Science is taught at the College so that the graduates would get a job.  However, a high degree of Shadowrunning hackers come out of his junior college than any other college.  Like in most schools, hacking is taught as a defensive measure.  But 1 in 20 students who graduate from the program become Hackers.

Active Skills (Max Rtg.)
  • Electronics Skill Group (3)
  • Cracking skill group (2)
  • Perception (2)
Sample Knowledge Skills (Max Rtg.)
  • Game Theory (2)
  • Matrix Operations (2)
  • Matrix Programming (3)
  • Matrix Theory (2)
  • Operating Systems (2)

APPLIED MAGICAL STUDIES PROGRAM
The Salt Lake Community College takes a more practical approach to magic than a theoretical approach.  Therefore, the Hermetic tradition often gets more attention than say the Shamanistic tradition or any other tradition.  The following traditions are officially sanctioned as true subjects taught at the college:
  • the Hermetic Tradition
  • the Psionics Tradition

The following traditions are represented by the following Student Clubs:
  • The Students of the Mythic Journey (Shamanistic Tradition)
  • The Hellfire Club (Black Magic)
  • The Club of Witchcraft and Wizardry (Wiccan)
  • The Way of the Golden Dawn (Discordians, Chaos Magic)
  • Heirs of Atlantis (Hermetic tradition)

Skills taught through the program:
Active Skills (Max. Rtg.):
  • Assensing (2)
  • Astral Combat (2)
  • Conjuring skill group (2)
  • Sorcery skill group (2)
Sample Knowledge skills (Max. Rtg.):
  • Magic Theory
  • Magical Background (2)
  • Occultic Studies (2)
Paranormal Phenomenae (2)[/li]
[/list]

PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR PROGRAM (Occult Investigator)
Salt Lake Community College, in tandem with the Police Academy nearby the Redwood Campus; trains private investigators and police detectives.  The program will never turn out a Sherlock Holmes, a Sam Spade, or a Hercule Poirot; but the program does turn out competent investigators.  Although, once laughed and scoffed at, in the 2060s Salt Lake Community College started an attaché program to their Private Investigator program -- Occult Investigator.

Once laughed at for "Ghost Hunting" before the Awakening, Occult Investigators investigate magical crime.  Magical murders, actual ghosts, ghoulish activity, hunting vampires, and dealing with magical criminals are what the Occult Investigator and Occult Detective are supposed to do.  Occult Investigators are trained in the Hermetic tradition but some are wiccans and theurgists.  However, the job can be dangerous.  Occult Investigators find themselves dealing with toxic spirits, tracking down insect spirit hives, and fighting their foes with magic!

The Program is an Apprenticeship rather than a degree program
Active skills:
  • Assensing
  • Conjuring skill group
  • Data Search
  • Dodge
  • Influence skill group
  • Locksmith
  • Perception
  • Shadowing
  • Sorcery Skill Group
[/list]
« Last Edit: <06-05-12/1539:32> by Hermes »

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <06-05-12/1433:38> »
The 'cash for karma' is more grandfathering in an old optional rule from SR3.  The house rule for more contacts works well, though (Cha x 2 or Cha x 3 extra points just for contacts).

Is that so?

I never had a copy of SR3.  In that case, I'll grandfather it in.  I apologize if anyone felt insulted.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <06-05-12/1441:47> »

Is that so?

I never had a copy of SR3.  In that case, I'll grandfather it in.  I apologize if anyone felt insulted.

I started with SR3, so I remember some things.  Don't think it was in the core book, but rather in the SR Companion (could be wrong). Like I mentioned before, I suggest making the conversion rate the less expensive option from the source at 1000 per karma--with possibility of going both ways. Only allowing the 'trade off' for one way would give mages or adepts (for cash to karma) an advantage or augmented an advantage (for karma to cash).

The only time I really saw any sort of problem with it, the GM was paying us what really was WAY too much (2 million a month), and I blew six months of pay all on karma to use entirely on Initiation.
« Last Edit: <06-05-12/1444:33> by All4BigGuns »

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <06-05-12/2030:46> »
Also, Karma distribution is left wide open for the GM. The Core Rule Book has several suggestions of how and what values should be distributed for a run, but it is a broad stroke. I always read it as a point of reference on how much should be rewarded for what kind of achievement. That being said, it easily ties into the old SR3 option of nuyen for karma, being that Karma distribution is left up to the GM (what gets you Karma, what is considered a 'valid achievement or accomplishment', did you pull off an amazing one in a million setup, did you play your char within the backstory/rp you setup when creating the char, etc.). The suggestion offered is basically saying, take into account that Universities are places of learning and tie in the Nuyen cost to it for Karma purposes. I would even go one further. I would say take the initial training cost for raising a skill (and if the player lacks the Karma to raise the skill) add the Nuyen to Karma conversion into the cost of the class.

Example: Lets say that the university is really expensive, so it defies the normal costs associated with finding a trainer. Lets say published price is 50k to raise a skill. Now lets say the player lacks 5 karma he needs to raise the skill. You would then add in 5k Nuyen and make a total cost of paying the trainer and the karma of 55k. (Of course, I made the university be 'uber expensive' because I am too lazy to look up the actual instructor costs. Keep in mind Instruction costs can be modified based upon services to the university/instructors, Charisma/negotiation, reputation, fake ID that shows the Runner as qualifying for the 'instate' tuition etc.)

P.S. What I am getting at is that the rules are synergistic. They are meant to provide framework and work together to create a cohesive whole. Always take into account the spirit of the work anytime you come up to something that is somewhat ambiguous.
« Last Edit: <06-05-12/2032:54> by markelphoenix »

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <06-06-12/1000:08> »
Finishing up my post on Salt Lake Community College.
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUSINESS PROGRAM (Face related)

A degree program, the business program is designed to produce business men who are able to start their own business and operate their business.  With Mega-corps often providing the best business programs available, Salt Lake Community College produces people with business degrees that operate small businesses and small corporations.

Students here learn how to operate in the world of Business and often learn how to start businesses and be entrepreneurs.  While mega-businesses may form the architecture of the mid-twenty first century economy, small business is what it effectively makes it go.  Very charismatic people who leave the program and enter either the world of shadows or the business world are called faces in Shadowrunner parlance.

Skills taught in the program
Active Skills (Max Rtg.)
  • Etiquette (3)
  • Intimidation (2)
  • Leadership (2)
  • Negotiation (2)
  • Perception (2)
  • Computer (2)
  • Data Search (2)
Sample Knowledge Skills (Max Rtg):
  • Business Theory (3)
  • Economics (2)
  • Entrepreneurship (2)
  • Mega-Corp culture (2)

PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVING (Rigger Program)
In the mid-Twenty First Century, the economy still depends on mass distribution of goods. Although in North America in the Sixth World, the professional truck driver needs to have a passport to drive on the International, this is the only program that teaches Defensive Driving as an active program that deals with weaponry.  In the Old West, despite the law enforcement of the NAN, there are train robberies, truck jackers, and road pirates.  While the typical resident of the city feels safe in cities without walls, out on the countryside west of the Mississippi River is a different story.  But the world still depends on Freight trucking to get the goods through.  It's almost open warfare on the International Highways, and the program includes "Defensive Driving" as in defensive driving!

Skills taught in the program
Active Skills (Max. Rtg.)
  • Dodge (2)
  • Electronic Warfare (2)
  • Gunnery (2)
  • Navigation (2)
  • Perception (2)
  • Pilot Ground Craft (Freight Trucks) (3)
Sample Knowledge Skills (Max. Rtg.)
  • Native American Freight Law
  • Highway Gangs
  • Trucker Havens

[/list]