NEWS

UCAS Military

• 28 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <05-25-12/1606:06> »
In the Mojave? Poor bastards.

(Military stuff is always odd, because Shadowrun players love to talk about it, but it rarely gets used in games. Heck, this is often lampshaded in the books like, say, Aztlan, where they'll go "I don't know why you fraggers care about this, because if you see a tank, you'd better RUN, but...")

It's not as common as it seemed it used to be, especially with the guys I ran with, but it's very useful if your PC has a military background.

My question, back on topic, is did the UCAS keep JTF-2?
E-mail or PM me ASAP.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <05-25-12/1644:54> »
To be fair, it's rare that Mercs get a voice on the Black BBSes that are used by Shadowrunners.  Matador and Picador aside, of course, and Hatchetman knowing a fair bit as well.

It's glossed over because, well, you don't do 'runs against the Military unless it's the blackest of Shadows.

Actually...  Marcos struck me as extremely well written up and also tends to put down comments a bit.

He strikes me very much as more of a merc than a runner.   Then again in an open warzone that's almost a distinction without difference.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #17 on: <05-25-12/1659:59> »
Black Mamba is also a merc.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Smiley

• Omae
  • Full of bad Lulz
« Reply #18 on: <05-26-12/0056:41> »
Quebec could also have kept JTF-2 units as I know from pretty reliable sources that there are (possibly permanent) presence of both current and former members in CFB Valcartier. Although they would surely be called "Deuxième Force opérationnelle interarmées" instead of Joint Task Force 2.
"Fun? Frag yeah! Always is when that involves a bucket full of drek!"
-Smiley

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #19 on: <05-26-12/0217:09> »
Quebec could also have kept JTF-2 units as I know from pretty reliable sources that there are (possibly permanent) presence of both current and former members in CFB Valcartier. Although they would surely be called "Deuxième Force opérationnelle interarmées" instead of Joint Task Force 2.
Depends on which way the unit jumped, I guess.

I mean, are YOU going to tell JTF-2 soldiers they can't go back to Canada after Quebec separated?

"You and what army?" comes to mind, and Quebec's portion of the Canadian Armed Forces probably wouldn't be enough to force them to stay if they didn't want to.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Smiley

• Omae
  • Full of bad Lulz
« Reply #20 on: <05-26-12/0247:04> »
Meh. Any soldier who originates from the province (including those who went as far as JTF-2, and they have their fair share of francophone) has a fair chance of deciding to stay (you know, familly, friends from childhood, teammates who decide to stay, plenty of reasons). And most JTF-2 current and former members stationed at Valcartier are francophone. And Valcartier is also a pretty big base (if not one of the biggest in Canada).
« Last Edit: <05-26-12/0257:36> by Smiley »
-Smiley

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #21 on: <05-26-12/0323:35> »
Sorry, mistyped.  I was suggesting which way individual soldiers jumped.  I'm sure there's a bunch of transfers to Valcartier as well as the locals, especially if it's so large.

'Course, I never served, so all the info I got is second hand.  At best.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Smiley

• Omae
  • Full of bad Lulz
« Reply #22 on: <05-26-12/0342:28> »
Oh well, really. The only thing I know about the JTF-2 in Quebec is that they are seen frequently in Valcartier even if their real BoP is in Trenton (if my memory serves me right). But since pretty much everything they do is classified... :P

Hehe. Well you were right about the lack of any coercion powers of the nascent République du Québec over JTF-2 assets. 27% of Canada's armed forces are French speakers (I don't think this takes bilinguals into account though). But since some of them have families in Quebec, it's only logical that at least a few of them would stay (enough to keep their training program intact for new prospects). Hence my suggestion that Quebec might have kept a few, but more importantly, their training program.
« Last Edit: <05-26-12/0347:43> by Smiley »
-Smiley

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <05-26-12/1113:36> »
So we'd likely have the UCAS with JTF-2 and Quebec with Deuxième Force Opérationnelle Interarmées.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <05-26-12/1121:59> »
There's a reference to the "Gendarmerie's special forces" in SoNA defending critical infrastructure.
« Last Edit: <05-26-12/1125:49> by James Meiers »

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <05-26-12/1334:50> »
"Gendarmerie royale du Canada" is the French name of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police ("Mountie" if you prefer). The Québec Gendarmerie special forces would be the heirs of the RCMP Emergency Response Team. But heirs who were sold and turned into a subsidiary of Lone Star Security Services.
Canada main counter-terrorism unit used to be the RCMP Special Emergency Response Team between 1986 and 1993, when it was disbanded and JTF-2 established (JTF-2 first operators were actually trained by SERT operators in SERT facilities).

I'm not sure JTF-2 would survive in the UCAS Order of Battle. Joint unit is not something American armed forces do (see Delta Force vs. Navy SEAL vs. USMC Force "SOCOM-won't-command-marines" Recon [1] ). So, in my opinion, they could disband the unit instead and turn the Canadian Special Operations Regiment or a recreated Canadian Airborne Regiment into a Tier 1 unit. Or recreate WW2 1st Special Service Force, which would actually be quite a smart move from a symbolic point of view.

[1] For the record, since 2006, the USMC officially has special forces under SOCOM, the Marine Special Operations Regiment.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <05-26-12/1400:34> »
Would be nice to have the Airborne Regiment back.  They were thrown under a bus for a few bad apples and political expediency.   :'(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Smiley

• Omae
  • Full of bad Lulz
« Reply #27 on: <05-27-12/1423:37> »
Yup, the Somalia affair was a pretty bad one! Beat, torture and rape a kid to death and people starts digging further to see what else is buried in the closet.
-Smiley

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #28 on: <05-27-12/1520:40> »
Yup, the Somalia affair was a pretty bad one! Beat, torture and rape a kid to death and people starts digging further to see what else is buried in the closet.
The problem is that the closet was only recent, and the brush painted all vets of the unit.  Which traces it's history to WWII!   :'(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11