NEWS

insect spirits why are they bad?

• 202 Replies

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #165 on: <07-02-12/2336:35> »
I know I'm coming into this thread quite late, and the question may have already been addressed, but what has happened to the Universal Brotherhood.  Do they still exist?  I know all the stories about them up until sometime after the cermac (spelling?) blast, when they were starting to be shut down/wiped out.
2XS by Nigel Findley is a great SR novel that tells the tale of how it came about.

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #166 on: <07-03-12/0018:54> »
I guess that means Burning Bright tells the tale of how it all came to an end?

That was my favourite SR novel, ever.
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #167 on: <07-03-12/0109:03> »
I need to figure out who I loaned 2XS to. I need to get that back. :(

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #168 on: <07-03-12/1319:34> »

Yes, and some fairly good battles in Burning Bright too. There's several other books with Tommy Talon in them. I've read some, but not all of them. I tend to find them far above average as far as SR novels go.

My favorites however are 2xs by Nigel Findley, Changeling by Chris Kubasik, and the Kellan Colt trilogy by Stephen Kenson. Lone Wolf by Nigel Findley is good too, as well as Nyx Smith and the novels with Bandit the Racoon shaman in them.

I've come to believe anything written by Nigel Findley is pure gold, but sadly he's passed away. I'm starting to feel that way about Kenson, especially after reading the 3rd ed. Seattle Guide, which provided me with literally dozens of shadowruns to GM.

« Last Edit: <07-03-12/1340:27> by GiraffeShaman »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #169 on: <07-03-12/1510:13> »
I need to figure out who I loaned 2XS to. I need to get that back. :(
I'm on my fourth copy.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #170 on: <07-03-12/1812:20> »
I've come to believe anything written by Nigel Findley is pure gold, but sadly he's passed away. I'm starting to feel that way about Kenson, especially after reading the 3rd ed. Seattle Guide, which provided me with literally dozens of shadowruns to GM.
Steve hasn't totally abandoned Shadowrun. He did write Seattle 2072 and Tommy Talon's entry in Street Legends.

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #171 on: <07-04-12/1015:58> »

Yes, and some fairly good battles in Burning Bright too. There's several other books with Tommy Talon in them. I've read some, but not all of them. I tend to find them far above average as far as SR novels go.

My favorites however are 2xs by Nigel Findley, Changeling by Chris Kubasik, and the Kellan Colt trilogy by Stephen Kenson. Lone Wolf by Nigel Findley is good too, as well as Nyx Smith and the novels with Bandit the Racoon shaman in them.

tommy talon do not play in burning bright the mage name ther is kyle teller
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #172 on: <07-04-12/1157:31> »
Apologies, my mistake. It's been a very long time since I read that book and I've read some of the Talon books more recently. Got blended all together. I guess mages all look alike, kinda like dandelion eaters.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #173 on: <07-04-12/1212:30> »
I think folks just get "Burning Bright" and "The Burning Time" mixed up, from time to time.

TheVanguard

• Newb
« Reply #174 on: <07-08-12/0937:36> »
Cartographing an Alien Landscape: An introduction to the nature of Insect Spirits

by Lt. John „Prospero“ Ashcroft, 3rd Astral Recon and Support.
Recorded at the First Joint Forces Bug City Symposium held at the Wrigly Dome, Chicago, 2056.

When looking at Insect Spirits, we are tasked not only with the problem of that which we do not know, but also the many misconceptions and prejudices regarding these entities that abound. Most personnel that has to deal with them directly, especially the mundanes, tend to see our opponents as insects of a very large and dangerous kind. This, however, is pretty far from the truth. The beings we are facing here are spirits first and foremost, astral constructs that only subject themselves to the paradigm of insecticism, just as the group categorized as Spirits of Man styles itself after our outlooks and mannerisms. They are only pretending to be insects, so to say. That is why we should ask ourselves the question why they choose to do so.
If we follow the reasoning of Laurent, Greenbaum et al. that the Astral is an expression of earth's manasphere, important aspects of our planet will form something like an astral echo. It seems quite logical that the insects, being the most numerous and diverse order of animals there is, will also have a strong astral representation. However, this is not true for similar copious life forms such as bacteria or plants. Instead, metahumanities' impact on the Astral seems disproportionally large.
This might be explained by Millar and Sorenson's Theory of Mana Manipulation through the Collective Subconsciousness. According to it, the Astral might be influenced by the accumulated “background noise” of people's thoughts, thus being more a representation of our earth's spiritual side than the biological one. Any followers of shamanistic teachings in the audience may now feel free to shout “Told you so!”.
It seems quite obvious that the subconciousness does have an impact on mana manifestations if we look to spirits summoned by metahuman conjurors. A very high percentage of these astral constructs have predominantly anthropomorphic features, even if they are supposed to represent abstract concepts such as the elements. Thus, it is not inconceivable that even so-called mundane elements of our planet's mana sphere could have a certain influence on phenotypic expressions of the astral plane. Furthermore, this would also suggest that the long-suspected hive mind of insects rivals the “willpower” - for lack of a better term – of our individual selves.
I hope I was able to make clear that Insect Spirits are neither demons from some kind of hell, nor a magical weapon of mass destruction. They are dangerous and a threat to metahumanity, but ultimately just a natural part of our world like their mundane counterparts. Mankind has always been in conflict with nature, and this is simply a new round in this age-old battle.
However, there is a very important point to Insect Spirits that sets them apart from other dangers in our point of view. It is their disposition to actively seek us out, to become a part of our society and to subvert it from within that scares us so much. This is completely unrelated to their biological counterparts, who certainly have no idea about what they are doing when they crawl through our living room. Insect Sprirts, on the other hand, make a conscious effort of becoming a part of metahumanity, and making us become a part of theirs. The Universal Brotherhood incident has taught us that they prefer human hosts even if animal ones would be more readily available and the risk to themselves would be smaller.
The fact that the Universal Brotherhood concept appealed so much to the Insect Spirits that they made it a part of their living proofs that they have a certain understanding of metahuman ideas and can actually interact with us on this basis. The creatures that are uniformly regarded as being strange, alien and incomprehensible might be closer to us than we are currently willing to admit. Actually, the virtues promoted by the UB, including concepts such as cooperation, harmony and self-sacrifice, are things that insects of the hive-building variety practically embody. Even this event's esteemed chairman-in-absence, Mr. Damian Knight, would certainly agree on them, judging from his Address to the Cooperation in the Light of the recent Events in Chicago.
Also, we have to keep in mind that human individuality has been identified as a great source of problems by the military, the corporations and other institutions alike, and over the decades there have been countless tries to eliminate this chaos factor from the equations. Now, the UCAS military as well as Ares Macrotechnology are without doubt shining exceptions here, but their representatives will certainly agree with me that the competition treats human resources much worse and is quite willing to exploit them in any way possible.
These points relate to the behavior of the Insect Spirits in a startling way. It might just be a coincidence, but I feel that we should not dismiss any possible explanations at this point. Thus, please consider for a moment the possibility that the metahuman subconsciousness could also have an impact on the nature of these seemingly unrelated spirits. What if the insects' hive mind could be capable of giving spirits a paradigm they could embody, but not a purpose for them to fulfill? What if another strong force would then bleed into their being in order to fill this emptiness?
Now, this is all just speculation on my part and scepticism is advised, but it is a fact that Insect Spirits have tried again and again to fuse with metahumanity, and despite our best efforts they could not be stopped yet. Maybe they are doing it in order to become something that is larger than the sum of its parts. Maybe they try to fulfill what we are only dreaming of.
Thank you for your attention.

Note: Lt. Ashcroft's integrity was called into question after this highly controversial speech, but Internal Affairs did not manage to question him anymore. He suffered serious injuries and a psychological breakdown during a mission soon after and went AWOL as soon as he had recovered. Rumors are that he has found refuge in the so-called shadow community.

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #175 on: <07-08-12/2012:26> »
>>>>>[Sorry, sounds like hippy dippy wants to be an insect shaman (maybe is) bull drek to me]<<<<< --Wolfgar
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #176 on: <07-09-12/0303:54> »
Hi Vanguard,  did you write that?  Because its brilliant, very well put together.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

TheVanguard

• Newb
« Reply #177 on: <07-09-12/1013:52> »
Thank you very much. Yes I did indeed. Prospero was my first 4th ed. character and I'm still quite proud of him.

Actually, he's just suffering from a bad case of dissociative disorder thanks to a hefty dose of PTSD and now thinks insects are the better humans. Of course, the other PCs suspected him to be a flesh-form spirit or insect shaman and were totally creeped out by the guy. Guess it didn't help that the GM allowed me to take Friendly Spirits (Insect Spirits)  ;)

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #178 on: <07-15-12/1321:28> »
Realy good one.+1, Bext time you can tell us something about the "landscape" of Insects metaplane...

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #179 on: <07-16-12/1258:07> »
Realy good one.+1, Bext time you can tell us something about the "landscape" of Insects metaplane...

a desert seashore, with little doors to places full of tasty things (our world)

sorry, too many readings of "the drawing of the three"
didachick! dadachack!
« Last Edit: <07-16-12/1720:49> by beowulf_of_wa »
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!