NEWS

Motorcycles and Riggers

• 58 Replies

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #45 on: <05-02-12/0639:39> »
I think in Arsenal or in the main book they mention Rigger Cocoons.   It might even be in one of the previous editions.  That would keep you safely in your seat.
Its also in SR4A
I modified quite some Cars & Bikes. its in the Modsection of the Arsenal

Hough!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <05-02-12/0655:32> »
What is RAD and where are the rules for it ?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #47 on: <05-02-12/0704:19> »
What is RAD and where are the rules for it ?

type mishmash

It is RAW: Rules As Writen

EDIT: On the other hand...IDn what RAS means...
« Last Edit: <05-02-12/0706:29> by Sichr »

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <05-02-12/0707:34> »
So does it actually say anywhere that you go limp when you go VR? Or are folks assuming that from prior editions?

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #49 on: <05-03-12/1141:51> »
If it is not RAD forbiden, it is allowed.
And IMO if you are able to stand while in VR, you are also able to sit on the motorcycle with hands on handles.
Also...no problem considering handles and seat to be gecko coated. Bike rigger would do things that allow him to drive without problems
You can only stand in VR if the RAD is overridden because you whould be limp as if asleep. Unless you sleep standing up you whould be laying down. So the rad whould make  it hard to sit on the bike.

Again...being in VR gives you -6 to actions, but you are not unconsciousness
+
VR can simulate anything that is in real world, , and since Simmodule works both ways, it is not completely impossible that some motoric functions that are linked directly to the driving are anebled. There is milion and half ways to do it work.
Never said you where unconces the -6 is from preciving the VR, there is also a the RAS mentioned in the description of sim module that says as a safety it makes your boady go limp as if sleeping.
PG 227
"Preceiving the VR Matricx in its full glory overwhelms physical senses. Any action taken in the physical world while in VR suffers a -6 dice pool penilty"

The RAS over rides your motor control of your boady.
PG 328
As a safety precaution, sim mods override your motor functions while you are immersed in VR/simsense, so you dont blindly thrash around in the real worrld and potentially injure yourself or break things. This means that your physical boad is limp while you're online as if you where sleeping

You are accounting for the first with your assumption but not the second and the second is there for a reason. If rigging the bike makes it your boady then your physical boady whould try to mimic the actions of the bike. A hacker in VR might not be moving in VR, but the rigger is. Bad things whould happen to a rigger with the RAS override on a motor bike.

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #50 on: <05-03-12/1147:09> »
why do you want to jump in a bike you are ridding is beyound me. Why not be some place more safe than out in the open if you can jump in a bike you can do it from any where you can get signal to it- such as a car rigger caccone your house. Why be out there and risk all the harm?
Because yo might be jumping between your bike, and the rotodrone you're covering your arse with?  Or the Knight Errant P4 you just launched from your sidecar?

"One variation has the P4 get underneath the target vehicle and latch a signal feed onto it. The feed taps into the vehicle’s network (and possibly the passenger’s PANs), [...]"

Take over their vehicle, and steer it off the side of that bridge / overpass.  Poof, no more pursuit.

Also if you're, say, a Gnome, and have to remote-op vehicles, even cycles.
So let me see if I understand what you want a motor cycle with side car and weapons to run around on while rigging, making it a open seat combat vehicle with you in VR getting shot. The work to pull it off to me is not practicle athou I guess the bike is what the second cheepest vehicle. Just putting yourself in harms way to much to be where I whould want a rigger.

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #51 on: <05-03-12/1148:02> »
I think in Arsenal or in the main book they mention Rigger Cocoons.   It might even be in one of the previous editions.  That would keep you safely in your seat.
Yes it whould but then you turned it into a closed cockpit vehcle what is the point why not just get a closed in vehicle then.

_Pax_

« Reply #52 on: <05-03-12/1312:15> »
So let me see if I understand what you want a motor cycle with side car and weapons to run around on while rigging, making it a open seat combat vehicle with you in VR getting shot. The work to pull it off to me is not practicle athou I guess the bike is what the second cheepest vehicle. Just putting yourself in harms way to much to be where I whould want a rigger.
^_^  A Horizon-Doble Revolution with a Smart Tire can go places most other vehicles cannot even contemplate.  Like up a narrow escalator in a mall.  ^_^

Also, who's to say the rigger isn't inside a rigger cocoon, in that sidecar?  Or even on the bike (inside a windshell) ...?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #53 on: <05-03-12/1340:29> »
I guess its up to rigger if he wants to do this. And if he wants, there is nothing RAW that says that he cannot, so IMO you can sucessfully suppose, that hitech bikes in 2073 are capable of riding around with unconciousness riggers on seat with no risk. How? Dont ask me...it still at least 60 years to get there.

_Pax_

« Reply #54 on: <05-03-12/1555:43> »
Make the seat out of the same stuff as the Geck Grip you can get made for a gun.  Switch on: no moving.  Switch off: free as a bird.

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #55 on: <05-03-12/1721:37> »
Yeah I like Blue Lion's explanation for this one. Don't see why (game balance wise) we would want to penalise riggers who might like to use bikes rather than cars/planes etc

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #56 on: <05-03-12/2139:06> »
Want to see my flash new jacket?

_Pax_

« Reply #57 on: <05-03-12/2254:42> »
lean back
The technical term is "recumbent".  :)

Also: someone made a REAL one (in outward shape)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ZYXTcMfXo&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Also: http://www.otomo-gengaten.jp/news/?cat=8
« Last Edit: <05-03-12/2308:15> by _Pax_ »

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #58 on: <05-05-12/1110:17> »
lean back
The technical term is "recumbent".  :)
What can i say, my brain was on the fritz...
Want to see my flash new jacket?