NEWS

Technomancer-AI coopperation?

• 35 Replies

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <04-19-12/1315:31> »
Funny thing: While everyone keeps turning over rocks to try and fine Deus, no one seems to care about Maegera and even less about Mirage/Psychotrope.

I'm not sayin' nuthin', I'm just sayin'.

:)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <04-19-12/1322:58> »
Well, only one of those three took a hundred thousand people hostage for the better part of a year performing experiments on the survivors.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-19-12/1328:45> »
That we know of.

(bum bum BUMMMMM!!!)

Stry

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <04-19-12/1614:04> »
Deus and Pax are kind of like roaches  just when you think stomped on them, they just pop up somewhere else.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <04-19-12/1703:21> »
Deus and Pax are kind of like roaches  just when you think stomped on them, they just pop up somewhere else.
Which is why I'm convinced that Deus is not gone, he's just hidden himself somehow.

If, for instance, Deus has somehow gotten his hooks in Horizon, that may explain their attitudes towards TMs, for instance...

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <04-19-12/1729:23> »
Don't forget Evo; they're possibly friendlier to AIs than Horizon is.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #21 on: <04-19-12/1839:54> »
Well, only one of those three took a hundred thousand people hostage for the better part of a year performing experiments on the survivors.
  Sure, but one of the others was the source code for that one, and the OTHER of the others took sixty times that number inadvertently hostage ...

Besides, we already know what happened to all three of them.  If y'all ain't ready to acknowledge what's blindingly clear, that's y'all's problem.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <04-19-12/1905:52> »
Yes, because no one who was thought to be dead has in fact turned out to be alive and looking for vengeance... *cough*Alamaise*cough*

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <04-19-12/1934:25> »
Alamaise.  Sounds like a new kind of sandwich spread.  "Mustard, mayonnaise, or alamaise?"  Maybe that's what Miracle Whip actually is.

In any case, they already pulled the 'back from the dead' thing with Deus.  Gauche' to do it more than once.  Also, please note that I didn't say 'him', I said 'all three of them'.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <04-19-12/1959:52> »
Well, that hasn't stopped Jean Grey, so why would it stop Deus? ;)

Personally, I like Deus as a villain, if only because once you understood his motivations, he became an almost sympathetic character, much like Magneto. Much more poignant than someone like, say, Roxy, Villiers, or Knight.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <04-20-12/0043:19> »
Personally, I like Deus as a villain, if only because once you understood his motivations, he became an almost sympathetic character, much like Magneto. Much more poignant than someone like, say, Roxy, Villiers, or Knight.

I like Deus as a villain for his motivations as well -- because IMO, they ultimately make him a far more terrifying villain.  I can't think of anyone offhand, but this is someone who understands the morality of what he's doing, recognizes that it's wrong on many, many, levels, and yet from microsecond to microsecond he makes each individual choice anew to go ahead and continue tormenting and experimenting on these tens of thousands of people.  He's not a soulless machine; he's utterly and completely driven to escape, counting no sacrifice too great to succeed.  It might have been interesting to see whether or not he would have mellowed out once he had become the God of the Matrix.

Interesting side note -- has anyone else noticed how most of the previous edition's 'Good Guys' -- Villiers and Knight being two prime examples -- are slowly morphing into Bad Eggs?  I may not (okay, I don't) like what was done with Buttercup's look (for me, it's 3e Corporate Download, pp. 111 and 113) and personality (even in the midst of her utter ruthlessness I thought of her as sweet, kind, and seemingly naive), but at least she's still a Good Guy.  She and Harlequin (and no, not everything is about the Laughing Man, dammit -- stop trying to drag him into everything!!) almost seem to be the only lights left in the growing darkness ...

Okay, I'm going to shut up now.  Pattern recognition and I have just made friends again.
« Last Edit: <04-20-12/0244:58> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #26 on: <04-20-12/0158:43> »
Lights glowing in the darkness?

Are we reading the same books?  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <04-20-12/0245:45> »
Yes, but not in the same way.  There's a reason the Wyrm does what he does.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <04-20-12/0715:56> »
Wyrm, I think Ehran the Scribe might have come around to that way of thinking after Big D died. It certainly seems he's left the plotting of the other IEs behind, to concentrate on the DIMR.

But I wouldn't say that Knight and Villiers were 'good' guys in the last edition. Ares did a lot of questionable things, purely for their own interests. The Firewatch teams hunting the bugs were doing so because not only was it good for the Ares brand, but it also gave Knight test subjects to work on. And Villiers destroyed Fuchi, destabilized Renraku, and ruined countless lives for profit. No, I don't think they were 'good'. But when compared with people like Pax and Winternight, they certainly seem that way.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #29 on: <04-20-12/1233:59> »
There are no "Good" guys in this.  ...  Well, OK, maybe in the 2070s as we're heading into Post-Cyberpunk.

But in the early stuff, no.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11