NEWS

No Mini-Missile Love

• 38 Replies

Morg

« Reply #30 on: <03-25-12/2351:43> »
Some modern-day submarines, and all modern torpedoes, achieve higher speeds when totall submerged than when surfaced because their noses create an air bubble of less resistance ahead of them while their propulsion systems are more efficient with increased liquid resistance to push against

in both instances the torpedo and the sub is moving in water and not in air or vacuum, your just stating a point about fluid dynamics, but this isn't about reality it is about meta-reality and what that gives us is
  • The Gyrojet is a rocket the writers are not trying to over complicate it or it would have been called a Lancejet
  • The only thing that moves faster in water then air is sound a rocket is slowed by air and water resistance
  • The fluff states that the Gyrojet explodes on impact, EX rounds fragment and do not receive a bonus DV underwater
  • Lastly the Ballistics of an object is hampered by water not improved so underwater EX rounds would be considerably less effective

Therefore the Gyrojets damage is explosive like a grenade and not fragmentary like EX so it should be resisted by impact like explosives are

any counter arguments?
« Last Edit: <03-26-12/0023:23> by Morg »

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #31 on: <03-26-12/1741:10> »
There were Gyro-Jet-Weapons in SR3, did they not make the cut in SR4?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Morg

« Reply #32 on: <03-26-12/2133:20> »
There were Gyro-Jet-Weapons in SR3, did they not make the cut in SR4?

No the Gyrojet pistol is in arsenal but They dropped an ammo type.  I thought it could be improved a little maybe haveing a gyrojet rifle or SMG,,,

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #33 on: <03-26-12/2155:52> »
"But what if I shoot someone and them change my mind?"
Wire-Guided systems are old technology, and still damned useful.
and a pain to clean up, i have been told...
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #34 on: <03-27-12/0545:43> »
"But what if I shoot someone and them change my mind?"
Wire-Guided systems are old technology, and still damned useful.
and a pain to clean up, i have been told...

That's for the janitor at the corporate lab to worry about. ;)
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

DoubleTap

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <03-29-12/1900:32> »
ummm there are plenty of smart weapons the recieve no out signals ones launched, besides trying to hack a missile flying at mach beejeezus, before it impacts?  I call BS.  Back to gryo jets, I would think that 100 years of development we could have a workable gryojet weapon.
always Double Tap.
I'm a engineer if I cant fix it I can damn sure break it. (SSG Brown 12B osut instructor)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #36 on: <04-03-12/2359:48> »
I don't recall exactly where or when I read it, but it may have been back in SR2.  However, what I vaguely remember is that the gyrojet pistol was primarily an underwater weapon -- and that what it fired were functionally ramjet rounds, using a water-reactive propulsive.

Then again, I might be mixing up games.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #37 on: <04-04-12/0112:43> »
Honestly, if you want mini-missiles, find some hive warheads for a Ballista back launcher and go to town. :)
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

Morg

« Reply #38 on: <04-04-12/0852:52> »
Honestly, if you want mini-missiles, find some hive warheads for a Ballista back launcher and go to town. :)

I have always loved the Ballista. It's difficult to keep loaded sometimes.