NEWS

Rolling for addiction?

• 8 Replies

Leevizer

• Omae
« on: <04-09-12/0657:49> »
I think this is the right place to post this into, since in the SR4A rulebook it says that the GM should determine it...

So how often should I make a character roll for addiction in the following examples? If they get addicted, how easy should I let them get to kick their habit? The only one using drugs ATM is going to be the person in example 3, but I would like to know what you think of the others, just in case those come up in the game as well?

1) Mundane, unaugmented person popping Jazz to get "an edge" in combat?

2) Mundane, unaugmented person popping Cram for the same effect?

3) A street Sam/Adept popping either of the above to be even more hyper in combat (Is there a maximum number of combat passes for this? Like, Wired reflexes 3 and Jazz equals 5 IP, right? )? Should there be a difference between the character being augmented or adept? Because I can see that an adept might be "defiling her body" with that, whereas the street sams body IS already... well, defiled.

4) A mage using deepweed or that other mage drug when there's a need for a lot of spells to keep up or a lot of bolts to throw?

5) Hacker using Long Haul for extended periods of matrix legwork?

Also, is there a cyberware or such in Augmentation that allows the character to have an emergency supply of a drug that can be pumped into her body with a mental command from inside herself? Kinda like the Adrenaline pump bioware, but with drugs?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #1 on: <04-09-12/0749:15> »
3) A street Sam/Adept popping either of the above to be even more hyper in combat (Is there a maximum number of combat passes for this? Like, Wired reflexes 3 and Jazz equals 5 IP, right? )? Should there be a difference between the character being augmented or adept? Because I can see that an adept might be "defiling her body" with that, whereas the street sams body IS already... well, defiled.

*snip*

Also, is there a cyberware or such in Augmentation that allows the character to have an emergency supply of a drug that can be pumped into her body with a mental command from inside herself? Kinda like the Adrenaline pump bioware, but with drugs?

First, the simple part: the cyberware you're thinking of is an "Autoinjector". It can be implanted or worn as an armor mod armor.

Secondly, if I'm remembering correctly, drugs don't stack with Wired Reflexes at all by RAW, but 4 IPs vs 5 IPs is such a minor point it's no big deal if you want to let it fly. In any case, the limit for physical passes is "generally" 4, though they let you go up to 5 under certain special situations.

Also, I'd say that the Street Sam would have an easier time kicking... if he decides he wants to quit. Lower essence means less emotion and less emotional attachment to the feelings the drugs generate. The Adept, however, should be far more likely to want to quit, given his ideas about physical purity. For combat boosters, though, I'd say in either case the difficulty in quitting would be directly proportionate to how hard they're getting their asses spanked by the enemy. It's easy to not juice when there's no real need to juice.

In the end, however, "your table, your call," trumps Rules As Written for what goes and what doesn't. Go with what feels right to you.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-09-12/0802:16> »
Quoting that would make this thread longer than necessary, so I'll just ask like this...

Wired Reflexes says that it doesn't stack with initiative enchancements, does that mean Initiative pass enchancements too? Or Reaction enchancers?

Is the Autoinjector in Augmentation?

And the thing about kicking a habit with a street sam is that he doesn't necessarily need it, so he shouldn't have to check for addiction, or check for it rarely?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #3 on: <04-09-12/0847:20> »
It's generally considered that the term "Initiative Enhancements" is specifically talking about Initiative Passes. There's some ambiguity over whether it restricts things that boost Reaction (thus indirectly boosting Initiative) like Suprathyroid Gland, but the part about IPs is pretty much crystal clear. With Reaction Enhancers and Wired Reflexes, though, there's a specifically listed exception to let them work together.

Yes, it is. Page 39.

I'd say make the check for it relatively rarely, mostly during high-intensity situations and at the start of combat (assuming he doesn't just pop it automatically). That's if we're talking about a Mild addiction, here. Beyond that, it's all up to how much you want to focus on him being a "junkie".
« Last Edit: <04-09-12/1647:45> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-09-12/1005:28> »
I'd be inclined to base it not on who the character is, but on whether they start making a habit of it. If someone is using drugs every single combat, they should be making addiction checks. If someone uses drugs every now and then, or in emergencies, or something, probably not.

Crash_00

« Reply #5 on: <04-09-12/1020:35> »
Just step back and don't look at how often they take the drugs, but when and why. Is it a habit forming? Then make them start rolling for addiction. It varies from drug to drug (street drugs like cram are meant to be insanely addictive so every time or two makes sense, Jazz and Kamikaze are designed for combat use and should probably be considerably less addictive unless the dealer is spiking in something else to get that physical itch going) on how often you should check, but I'd say anywhere from every other time to every five or six times would be fair game. Also look at how far apart it's taken. Two doses within a couple hours can be far more addicting than a dozen doses over a month.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #6 on: <04-09-12/1340:05> »
I go with more than 3 times a day before I start with addictions. It also depends on what it is.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #7 on: <04-09-12/1804:04> »
I have a player with a character with a mild addiction to Cram.  Usually only uses it for combat, or when he wants to spend time working around the clock in his workshop.  Not an issue, one of his contacts is his dealer, he roleplays the addiction appropriately, its all good.

However, when he ups the use significantly, then I get him to roll.  He had a string of runs recently where he popped some Cram... hmmm... maybe 7 times in four days, so I made him roll to see if the addiction increased.  He passed.... for now.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <04-14-12/0134:45> »
I read the drug over then make the call...  Based on character info...

If the drug mentions it is highly addictive, I start off at 1 week, then look at the characters INT and WIL. A high INT usually means I drop mention that their character is thinking about the high they "just had". A high WIL and I increase the dosage amount (per week) before I start dropping hints.

On the other hand LOW  WIL and INT based characters (such as some "munchkin types") usually find out they are making addiction rolls sometimes after their first hit!

"happens IRL all the time. No one wakes up and says I wanna be a crank head!"  is my usual reply if they bitch
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.