NEWS

Converting Hunter: the Reckoning to D20 Modern

• 16 Replies

Slazarith

• Newb
  • Meh
« on: <03-09-12/1425:44> »
Need help on doing this. Especially the system specific things, like powers and such.

Thankee

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-09-12/2248:26> »
Why, oh god why, d20 Modern? Now, I like d20 as a system, but d20 Modern was an absolute failure of a game. The "archtypes" were a good try, but in the end it fell so far short. You're WAY better off using Alternity.

That being said, why take a d10 pool game and make it d20? There's very little similarities between the systems. Rolling a d20 for a skill with a rating does not translate well to 5-8 d10s going for hits on 8-10 (or so. It's been a while). That, and health is also determined very differently.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Slazarith

• Newb
  • Meh
« Reply #2 on: <03-09-12/2333:36> »
Simply put:

The DM wants to do D20 Modern.

I would be happy using the original system, but he said d20 Modern...

So, I gotta build 4 characters for it, and that requires some help comverting things like edges, and damages, and such.

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-10-12/0151:48> »
I don't honestly think you CAN convert, because a lot of it is contested and, as I said, pool based games don't translate well into d20.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Crash_00

« Reply #4 on: <03-10-12/1103:02> »
You could theoretically convert it, but I'd recommend just starting from scratch and designing a new, hunteresque, D20 Modern game to get that feel. In the end it probably won't take much more time and it will run much smoother.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #5 on: <03-13-12/1405:24> »
Convert to Shadowrun game mechanics?

:)

-k

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-13-12/1411:47> »
Sometimes certain systems just aren't meant to handle certain things. Explain this to him and say that conversion is impossible.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Slazarith

• Newb
  • Meh
« Reply #7 on: <03-13-12/1927:51> »
I uhh.... well, I actually hate Shadowrun's system. I know that's not the thing to say on the Shadowrun forums, but after reading the Storyteller System, GURPS, and Pathfinder.... Well, I can't stand it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #8 on: <03-13-12/1938:35> »
I uhh.... well, I actually hate Shadowrun's system. I know that's not the thing to say on the Shadowrun forums, but after reading the Storyteller System, GURPS, and Pathfinder.... Well, I can't stand it.
Someone get the marshmallows and weenies, I'll get the firewood, pitchforks, and torches!  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #9 on: <03-13-12/1949:04> »
Someone get the marshmallows and weenies, I'll get the firewood, pitchforks, and torches!  :P

No no no. You need toasting forks, not pichforks. How can you do proper camp-out food on a pitchfork?
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Slazarith

• Newb
  • Meh
« Reply #10 on: <03-13-12/2058:16> »
I love Shadowrun! I love the concept, stories, history, everything. I just don't like the system...

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-13-12/2322:48> »
I love Shadowrun! I love the concept, stories, history, everything. I just don't like the system...

System is better than New World of Darkness (which is far inferior to the old one) and it's a LOT better than the travesty of epic proportions that is D&D 4th.

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <03-14-12/0025:26> »

System is better than New World of Darkness (which is far inferior to the old one) and it's a LOT better than the travesty of epic proportions that is D&D 4th.

I have to disagree with the first half of that statement (Involving the rift between NWoD and OWoD), with the reason that I see very little mechanical difference, but that's me and the fact that I ignore most the WoD in favor of Mage and the INFINITELY cooler Geist.

And then I fully agree with ANYTHING outside of FATAL being better then 4e, but that's neither here nor there. Do you just dislike dice pools? d20 isn't THAT much simplier. Hell, it's even more complicated to actually run for a DM, who actually has to think up target numbers.

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <03-14-12/0036:03> »

I have to disagree with the first half of that statement (Involving the rift between NWoD and OWoD), with the reason that I see very little mechanical difference, but that's me and the fact that I ignore most the WoD in favor of Mage and the INFINITELY cooler Geist.

And then I fully agree with ANYTHING outside of FATAL being better then 4e, but that's neither here nor there. Do you just dislike dice pools? d20 isn't THAT much simplier. Hell, it's even more complicated to actually run for a DM, who actually has to think up target numbers.

I think you misunderstood. I was defending the SR system, though the previous editions where your attributes were almost to the point of useless weren't too good. Only reason I mentioned D&D 4th at all really is as an example of a game and system that is completely and irrevocably without redeeming qualities.

Slazarith

• Newb
  • Meh
« Reply #14 on: <03-14-12/1651:32> »
Guess I should clarify what I meant.

I don't like Shadowrun because the way that dice pools work well is in a few dice, about 5-7. However, in Shadowrun, I've never had a player, even with modifiers, who rolled under 9. Futhermore, the people who put the effort in character generation roll somewhere around 18 dice. It's hard enough to get players to focus on the damn game without counting out (And losing) 18 dice every time they want to do something.

Furthermore, Modifiers are WAAAAAYYYYY too numerous. For shooting your gun, you have to factor in range, recoil (more for burst fire!), visibility, and cover. You can't just raise the number of hits needed, because it's an opposed test. I think it's much easier to roll one die than 15, but maybe I'm more of a roleplayer than a rollplayer.

Also, 6-sided are my least favorite die of them all. At least 4-sided can be used as caltrops in a pinch. :D

Register