NEWS

Totem question

• 53 Replies

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #45 on: <03-13-12/0739:13> »
I think the last thing Shadowrun needs are hordes of Drizzt clones, swarming masses of Blood Mage PCs who are "the one good Blood Mage," running all over the place angsting about their dark heritage and stuff.  Blood magic's been listed in the "Magical Threats" type chapter of the magic books for multiple editions now, which pretty clearly marks it as "for the bad guys" territory.  I know some people always have the urge to play the exception to every rule...but by and large, these rules are in place for a reason.
I've been looking at a lot of characters out there.  I'm pretty sure that most players (especially the power gamers) are playing the 'bad guys'.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #46 on: <03-13-12/1232:13> »
I think the last thing Shadowrun needs are hordes of Drizzt clones, swarming masses of Blood Mage PCs who are "the one good Blood Mage," running all over the place angsting about their dark heritage and stuff.  Blood magic's been listed in the "Magical Threats" type chapter of the magic books for multiple editions now, which pretty clearly marks it as "for the bad guys" territory.  I know some people always have the urge to play the exception to every rule...but by and large, these rules are in place for a reason.
I've been looking at a lot of characters out there.  I'm pretty sure that most players (especially the power gamers) are playing the 'bad guys'.
Yes, but they're still playing the protagonists.  Blood magic, Insect spirits, Twisted paths?  Not so much.  That's firmly crossing the line -- which exists, even in Shadowrun -- into antagonist territory.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <03-13-12/1236:13> »
Yes, but they're still playing the protagonists. 
No.  They really aren't.  They are making the corporations look like saviors by comparison.  I understand the game is supposed to be moral shades of gray, but I just keep seeing people throw characters with no redeeming features at all.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #48 on: <03-13-12/1414:19> »
Then maybe you need to play with different people.  Because saying that "most players" are acting that way strikes me as a little off.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #49 on: <03-13-12/1423:44> »
I agree with Critias. Just because the people in your group play like that, doesn't mean that 'most players' play like that. I, for one, haven't played with anyone who acted like that. Though I was in a game with a player who had a character that thought he was a monkey.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <03-13-12/1426:32> »
Oh, I don't play with those types.  I'm just saying that I see an awful lot of characters that need to go into the villain column.  I've walked out of many games with people trying those kinds of characters.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #51 on: <03-13-12/1427:53> »
I know that for me, it's a rarity for me to play a character that doesn't have any morals at all, though sometimes I still will.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #52 on: <03-14-12/0041:06> »
That's the beauty of a role-playing game: the freedom to play what you like. If you want to be a psychopathic serial killer, go for it.

That being said, it's important to note that SR DOES take pains to point out that, while runners are not "Good guys" usually, if ever, that Blood Magic, Twisted Paths, Toxic Paths, and Insect Totems cross into a degree of sick-mindedness that is reserved for NPCs or the most indulgent of GMs. And even if that WASN'T the case, each of these exacts a toll on the soul and psyche of it's user. Blood Magic stains you, metaphysically. Twisted Paths are addictive and hard to crawl out of. Toxic and Insect are violent and self-motivating: they are not motivated by freedom or profit, but zealotry. You loose your freedom to your cause, which inevitably involves the extermination of the human race, whether to save or kill the earth, or use them as hosts.

Always remember that that darkness has a price. That's all the rule truly says.
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

snowRaven

• Newb
« Reply #53 on: <03-17-12/0848:09> »
Yes, but they're still playing the protagonists.  Blood magic, Insect spirits, Twisted paths?  Not so much.  That's firmly crossing the line -- which exists, even in Shadowrun -- into antagonist territory.

Protagonist doesn't equal 'good guys' though.

Even if all the PCs are child-trafficking insect shamans, they are still the protagonists - with Ares Bug-hunting teams being antagonists in that case, most likely.