NEWS

Jet Set

• 76 Replies

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #30 on: <02-13-12/1830:16> »
The "good guys" do sometimes win in Shadowrun, it's just rare.  Just like real life.  Why I'd be happy to run a "Leverage"-type game someday.
Run, or play?  ;)
Probably run.  I'm nowhere near smart enough or on the ball enough to play in that type of game.  :(

Oh come on, you'd make a great Parker!
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #31 on: <02-13-12/1831:14> »
Oh come on, you'd make a great Parker!
I'm about as broken as she is, yeah.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <02-13-12/1953:38> »
a small problem with shadow run is that it suffers from this http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarknessInducedAudienceApathy
Oh, TVTropes.

Well, shadowrun is a fairly jaded world, it is true. However, I wouldn't say that there aren't good people out there, and that they never win. Instances of that are few and far between, but when they happen, you notice it even more because of that. An example would be the Resistance during the Shutdown.
The Resistance didn't win shit.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #33 on: <02-13-12/2016:45> »
Well, shadowrun is a fairly jaded world, it is true. However, I wouldn't say that there aren't good people out there, and that they never win. Instances of that are few and far between, but when they happen, you notice it even more because of that. An example would be the Resistance during the Shutdown.
He's right. They didn't win anything. I played thru that whole thing. The resistance survived. That is about all they can claim and even then they only did so because Deus needed them to. Even the runners that "won" that module didn't win, the AI escaped. Hell my character lost his mother and his sister was crippled and brain damaged from all that.

The closest thing SR has had to a good guy is Dunkelzhan. And he was banished. Now it seems that even the people who were closest to him and that should've carried on his works are even sucuming to "DarknessInducedAudienceApathy".
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <02-13-12/2033:40> »
He's right.
Of course I'm right.

I'm always right.

Now it seems that even the people who were closest to him and that should've carried on his works are even sucuming to "DarknessInducedAudienceApathy".
8)
« Last Edit: <02-13-12/2036:04> by James Meiers »

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #35 on: <02-13-12/2046:22> »
Hey, to the Resistance, survival was a win.  Sometimes that's enough.  Sometimes that is the happy ending.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #36 on: <02-13-12/2055:32> »
Hey, to the Resistance, survival was a win.  Sometimes that's enough.  Sometimes that is the happy ending.
No endings, just another beginning.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

WellSpokenRunner

• Newb
  • Just a simple man trying to not get eaten by Lofyr
« Reply #37 on: <02-13-12/2232:25> »
Well I think this is why I liked the Draco Foundation. Raven and Wolf's crew, Dirk and Argent, and even Geraint, Serrin, and Michael.  They seem to be the few altruistic characters in SR.  Not to sound soppy or soft headed but as hard and amoral as I tried to make my old game, as much as I tried to throw in Horrors and mercenaries, it always became about trying to do good in a weird kind of jet set Bond super spy way but still tried to have that happy ending.

Until the PhysAd Giant did a Heel Turn and sold out to Aztechnology.  Never trust a Russian with a hammer-and-sickel weapon focus.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #38 on: <02-13-12/2235:34> »
Hmmm. There might be hope for some of my stuff after all.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <02-13-12/2307:38> »
The problem in Shadowrun is that, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" isn't just a pithy saying.

I don't know. I look at Shadowrun very differently from how I look at the real world.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <02-13-12/2330:19> »
I look at Shadowrun and wish it was the real world.  Truth is stranger, and often worse, than fiction.   :'(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <02-13-12/2347:26> »
That is fucked-up.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #42 on: <02-14-12/0025:21> »
That is fucked-up.
You expect anything else from me?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #43 on: <02-14-12/0051:40> »
Well, in some of those early stories, even when the good guys win, the villain's plot moves on, sometimes only advancing BECAUSE the good guys won!

Regarding the Shutdown, yes, the Resistance survived. Same as the French Resistance did in the early years of WWII. Just like the American troops at Bastogne did during the Battle of the Bulge. They survived until someone else could come and rescue them. Sometimes surviving is all the win you need.

Shadowrun is a bleak world, but that doesn't mean everything's dark. Even runners have ethics, things that they just won't do. Things they care about. Things they will lay down their lives to defend. And I would say that it is the darkness all around that makes those rare moments all the more brilliant.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <02-14-12/0107:20> »
Well, as long as it's just meta and not Law & Order-style "ripped from the headlines" with funnier-looking folks. That would just piss me off.

*checks list*

Let's see, on my list right now, I have Amazonia and the UK squaring off over the Falkland Islands, the celebration of Manhattan's own Urban Brawl stars against the Bostonians, a KSAF reporter who gets her face nearly chewed off by an adorable GenePet, Sony's newest Commlink game system, and, of course, the recent death of Maria Mercurial, the cause of death of which is still unknown.

*Totally* metaplot.