NEWS

bodyguard registration

• 24 Replies

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« on: <02-06-12/1106:17> »
I had this one posed to me this morning about a potential PC registered legally asa bodyguard

Granted they would need to have SINner asa background. but what other things would they need to be a registered Meatsheild
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #1 on: <02-06-12/1117:31> »
I know that me and most of the other security personnel I work with have Concealed Carry permits, First Responder or at least CPR certification, basic martial arts training, and several have Bail Bondam or Bounty Hunting papers to clear up legal issues if we detain someone. Also a big insurance policy and permits for your communication, depending if it picks up police and paramedic channels.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <02-06-12/1137:44> »
In game terms, that means SINner, licenses (REAL ONES!) for all your weapons, programs, and gear, and a license as a bodyguard. That being said, if you have the SIN, the rest shouldn't be that difficult. Everyone needs a bit of muscle.

Of course, it is even easier to be just hired muscle, without the pesky licensing. Afterall, who asks the guy standing between the corp bigwig and the 'terrorists' for registration on their weapons, unless they're using something clearly out of the ordinary, like heavy weapons or gas grenades?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-06-12/1748:24> »
Of course, it is even easier to be just hired muscle, without the pesky licensing. Afterall, who asks the guy standing between the corp bigwig and the 'terrorists' for registration on their weapons, unless they're using something clearly out of the ordinary, like heavy weapons or gas grenades?
The person that owns the turf makes the rules.  You can have enough legit paperwork to choke a horse in the UCAS, but as soon as you step on Salish territory they're going to want to see Salish permits.   And guess what, Salish don't issue work visas to non-citizens. 

On the other hand, if you're in Mafia controlled territory in the Barrens, the only paperwork that matters is someone trusted vouching for you.

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-07-12/1040:01> »
Thats a problem I run into even today. Gun license wont count in a certain state, or I've had to buy a separate license for ammo, then another for less than lethal ammo.Bondsmen papers wont count, or bounty papers. The only thing no one ever argues is the First Response cert.  Almost had my kevlar confiscated once just because all my other bulldrek wasnt enough for that state.

Really, the entire Great Lakes is horrible.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-07-12/1045:56> »
Thats a problem I run into even today. Gun license wont count in a certain state, or I've had to buy a separate license for ammo, then another for less than lethal ammo.Bondsmen papers wont count, or bounty papers. The only thing no one ever argues is the First Response cert.  Almost had my kevlar confiscated once just because all my other bulldrek wasnt enough for that state.

Really, the entire Great Lakes is horrible.

That was one thing we never had to worry about on a DipSec assignment. Granted, most of those were outside US territory so it was full battle rattle but occaisonally there was a VIP stateside.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-07-12/1054:38> »
They rarely give us shit when we're facility security, but bodyguards and the few times we've chased bounties, they go above and beyond to make sure everythings legal. I cant imagine how much worse it would be if we used anything bigger than a pistol besides beanbags.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #7 on: <02-07-12/1116:45> »
They rarely give us shit when we're facility security, but bodyguards and the few times we've chased bounties, they go above and beyond to make sure everythings legal. I cant imagine how much worse it would be if we used anything bigger than a pistol besides beanbags.

Knowing how fragged up our legal system is, it'd probably be easier. Especially if you stuck with semi-auto. I remember hearing, from a friend in Arkansas, how you could buy a barely-legal 12ga shotgum, a .30-06 rifle and a case of ammo for each and walk out with it, then and there, and carry them around in the back of your pickup without a license, but you had to wait a week for a .22 snubnose pistol and get a permit to have it anywhere that wasn't in a locked container.
« Last Edit: <02-07-12/1120:59> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Crash_00

« Reply #8 on: <02-07-12/1122:41> »
Depends on the state, but you can get some considerable firepower and accessories in most states much easier if you get a business license and get all your licensing done through the business as an employee. Completely bypasses the local authority check and permission part in many states. It doesn't matter what the business does either, because everyone knows that bakeries need .50 cal rifles and silenced pistols.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <02-07-12/1126:24> »
In game terms, that means SINner, licenses (REAL ONES!) for all your weapons, programs, and gear, and a license as a bodyguard. That being said, if you have the SIN, the rest shouldn't be that difficult. Everyone needs a bit of muscle.

I disagree.  You could just as easily do it with a Fake SIN and Fake Licenses for all your stuff, including a Fake License to operate as a Bodyguard.  Depending on how good your fakes were, and how confident you were feeling, you could even get a real bodyguard (or whatever) license with your Fake SIN.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <02-07-12/1139:59> »
Thats how it crumbles. The businesd license's only real downside to goung through the business is responsibility. That makes the business carry more burden, which sucks for them but is awesome for employees and insurance companies.

Crash_00

« Reply #11 on: <02-07-12/1154:05> »
Sorry I typed it to fast I guess. I was talking about people going and starting a single employ business (costs 50-100 bucks depending on the town in MO and AR) in order to skip have of the checks and the entire necessity assessment by local authorities by getting their licenses through their business instead of personally.

In other news, AR doesn't work anywhere near that way anymore. There is what they call a three day waiting period, but its not the same thing as most states have. When you want to buy a gun, they have to call in a background check on you. For most people with no record (unless they have one of those ridiculously common names) it's done in five minutes but for others it can take a while. If the company responsible for the background check doesn't fail to notify the store owner within three days in AR, the gun can be sold. My wife walked into a store and picked up her .357 on a lunch break.

What really bugs me is that their is an age limit on buying spray paint and BBs, but a six year old can walk into a store and buy a full propane tank without any legal issues.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <02-07-12/1217:42> »
a six year old can walk into a store and buy a full propane tank without any legal issues.

That exlains why my son wanted his allowance early..
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #13 on: <02-07-12/1357:33> »
What really bugs me is that their is an age limit on buying spray paint and BBs, but a six year old can walk into a store and buy a full propane tank without any legal issues.
Legal issues, no.  Being able to carry the bloody thing...

Or do you mean those little ones that are used for camping stoves?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-07-12/1913:30> »
Here's the deal with permits of all types.  The guy that signs it is responsible for your actions.  If you get pulled over and have your gun checked, It is that cops responsibility (liability) if you do something wrong with it.  He won't let it go until he can pass the buck on to some other body that can be sued if you do something with it.  i.e. the guy that issued the permit.  If it is an out of state permit, it is more difficult to prosecute and thus you get more hassles.  If a company goes for the permit, it is easier to dump blame and liability on them rather than the individual.  In fact, often the individual is killed in the ensuing fight and thus not available to be sued by the victims, so they sue the body that issued the permit and the maker of the gun, etc.

Register