Suggestion: Reputation Accountability

• 85 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #45 on: <04-14-12/1926:14> »
Wait...  We have power over something?   :o
We do. You don't.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #46 on: <04-14-12/1953:51> »
Typical.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

GRaske

• Newb
« Reply #47 on: <04-15-12/1734:05> »
Oh hey I can see the applaud and smite buttons now. posting 10 times made me a cool kid.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #48 on: <04-15-12/1803:25> »
+1 for encouragement  8)
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #49 on: <04-17-12/0804:38> »
And, I'm sure Clockwork would love the rep system in JackPoint to be overhauled as well since it's obviously unfairly biased against him and those of similar attitude.

Listen, folks, we've gone over this before. The Rep system is meant to give your fellow posters an idea of how to view posts you make. Can it be abused? Sure it can (check out my negative rep, which is 80% of persons upset with me for having FastJack as my handle), but it will stay anonymous. If you take away the anonymity, then the system is no longer viable as an unofficial "peer review". Not too mention changing code for SM forums is a bitch, especially when they send out their updates.

If you feel that someone is unfairly smiting you, smite them back! There's nothing I enjoy more that seeing two people WASTING hours and days of their lives pressing a link every hour to make themselves feel superior to someone they will most likely never meet outside of an electronic debate.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #50 on: <04-17-12/1247:51> »
And, I'm sure Clockwork would love the rep system in JackPoint to be overhauled as well since it's obviously unfairly biased against him and those of similar attitude.
*Cough*Safehouses*Cough*

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #51 on: <04-19-12/2224:18> »
Besides being anonymous and open to abuse, my two biggest problems with the rep system is that you don't know what you've been smitten for and that it shines a negative light on people it shouldn't, it seems that if you correct of disagree with someone you'll get smote at least once (if you're lucky) and possibly chain smitten.

In my eyes it's a griefing tool that some people use to try make forum newcomers disregard posts by people who disagree with them by giving that person a bad rep. We already have a forum policing tool called report post to moderator.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #52 on: <04-20-12/0254:25> »
Besides being anonymous and open to abuse, my two biggest problems with the rep system is that you don't know what you've been smitten for and that it shines a negative light on people it shouldn't, it seems that if you correct of disagree with someone you'll get smote at least once (if you're lucky) and possibly chain smitten.

Pretty much.

Also, Rep has momentum. If one person gets a bug up their arse and decides he/she's going to be an obsessive little cyber-stalker and hammer you until you've got a ton more -Rep than +Rep, people just stop giving you +Rep for things they'd have [applaud]ing you for before, and [smite]ing you for things they would have left alone.

Ever since a certain someone, who I won't name because I don't have any hard evidence, decided make me their pet project and kill my +/- ratio I've seen a massive shift in how my Rep has been accumulating. I haven't changed my posting habits at all, except to try and stop some of the bad habits getting me -Rep, but now magically accumulating more -Rep than +Rep when I was running dead even, possibly even slightly favoring +Rep, before.
« Last Edit: <04-20-12/0400:04> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #53 on: <04-20-12/0951:21> »
So, the suggestion is that instead of the current Rep system, you'd rather have it so that anytime anyone smites you, 1) there is a log of who smited you, 2) they have to have given a reason for that smite and 3) you want to be able to find out who that person is.

Yeah, that can't go horribly wrong on the internet.

Quote from: Smite Log
XXX smited YYY on 4/4/2012. The reason was : "because he smited me on 3/12/2011 for calling his dog ugly."

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #54 on: <04-20-12/1050:22> »

Or, hell, just don't worry about it at all.  You've got a negative rep score?  Good.  That means you've actually said something on here, and stuck to your guns enough that someone else has decided to waste their time pressing your buttons.  Good on you for having an opinion.  I'm a little leery of anyone without a negative rep.  I think they're up to something.

Think now is a good time to share Critias' words of wisdom, once again.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #55 on: <04-20-12/1230:26> »
I'm still trying to figure out how the hell I have a positive rep.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <04-20-12/1239:48> »

We know about your second account, you're not fooling anybody anymore.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #57 on: <04-20-12/1249:23> »

Because you are funny. lotsa people applaud you when you crack a joke.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #58 on: <04-20-12/1314:26> »

Hey I try to blame you here and on FB as much as possible - I'm trying,dude.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #59 on: <04-20-12/1331:20> »
It's because some of us feel sorry for you and your lack of actually PLAYING Shadowrun.

(hmm... Might have to contact Harebrained and see if they can't put a "bug" in the system that won't let anyone named CanRay get beyond the opening cinematics... ;))