Firefly MMO

• 29 Replies

Kylen

• Omae
« on: <01-14-12/0032:19> »
http://fireflyuniverseonline.com/

I just squeed my pants.

Yes, you read that right.

I'm trying not to be TOO hopeful, but lets face it: Either we Browncoats will have awesome times, or be crushed by a bad game. Or it will go the way of SWG.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <01-14-12/0058:43> »
*Looks up from cleaning my Moses Bros. Self-Defense Engine Frontier Model B*  Whut?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <01-14-12/1121:57> »
Ahh... FastJack Ident card is now active.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #3 on: <01-14-12/1215:37> »
Trying to replace Mr. Universe?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-14-12/1529:47> »
Interesting.  I give it one chance in ten of ever seeing the far side of beta.  Hope it does, however.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <01-15-12/1236:24> »
Would that be so bad? ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <01-15-12/1448:57> »
Would that be so bad? ;)
Aside from being a camper in an MMO, no.  :P

I'm going to give it a bit afore I sign up, see if they get official recognition.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #7 on: <01-16-12/0814:25> »
"Is Firefly Universe Online a licensed title?

No, Firefly Universe Online is not affiliated with 20th Century Fox or Mutant Enemy Inc at this time. Until Firefly Universe Online receives official endorsement by parent copyright holders, we will proceed under fair use as a tribute to the fans, the beloved cast, and creator Joss Whedon."

Sadly, this alone is likely to kill the project.

Most rights holders in the media world do not look kindly on people engaging "do it first and ask permission later" antics. Doubly sad in that it's often not all THAT hard to obtain a limited fan license for a lot of works, especially ones that haven't been in active production for a while.

-k

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #8 on: <01-19-12/2047:05> »
Aw no fun.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <01-20-12/0456:39> »
Well, given that this site has been up for..well...at least a year it seems, and that Fox and their parent company tend to jump on this kind of stuff hard core, I do believe that they have SOME kind of permission, or have obtained it recently, or are in the process of such. Otherwise, I doubt the site would even BE here.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Crash_00

« Reply #10 on: <02-08-12/1118:55> »
Well its not based out of the US. Panama, China, and Netherlands. I don't know about the copyright laws there, but if they're different enough it may still go off, especially being a download game from servers there. Of course if SOPA or PIPA get passed in the coming months that will kill any US people from having fun with it.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #11 on: <02-12-12/0142:35> »
That quote I posted earlier?

That's straight off their website.

-k

Crash_00

« Reply #12 on: <02-13-12/1928:33> »
Right, which states that they don't have a license and are still planning to launch beta before too long under the fair use act (which really doesn't cover what they're doing). If the operation isn't based in the US though, breaking US copyright laws doesn't actually mean anything. Its actually extremely common for people in the US to start companies in other, less strict countries, in order to circumvent US copyright laws. That's how many MMO botting and gold selling services are able to stay in business. The US ones that get big get shut down hard (see MDY vs Blizzard). While this is used to circumvent some good laws, its also used often to circumvent many laws that are just flat out wrong.

For instance, MDY vs Blizzard actually set the precedent that if you design a piece of software (lets say a word processing suite for example) designed to be used in conjunction with another piece or other specific pieces of software (lets say any Windows OS) and that the other company decides at a later date to change its End User License Agreement to disallow the use of your program, you will be guilty for any contributory copyright infringement even if you immediately (or already have) stop all support for your software.

It also clarified that breaking your EULA makes you immediately guilty of copyright infringement despite whether their was any intent of EULA breach or to what degree it was breached. In addition, even if you purchase a separate license, every time you load the program is another count of copyright infringement. To top it off, the holder of the copyright is under no obligation to pursue charges in a timely manner. Combined with often ambiguous wording (an good example is with World of Warcraft. Breaking the essence of World of Warcraft is a EULA breach) this means that a company can technically put forth a claim (leveling more than once a day is breaking its essence) and sue its license holders that have broken this claim for copyright infringement for every time they have loaded the game since the EULA breach (every time you've loaded WoW after the initial time you leveled more than once in a day). While it sounds ridiculously absurd, that is exactly how the law works right now if they wanted to pursue it. In MDY vs Blizzard, Blizzard actually had to admit on record that naming your character Einstein (or anything in breach of their naming rules) technically would make you subject to copyright infringement immediately and an additional count every time you load the game (regardless of what account is being loaded) after, if they chose to pursue it.

Many companies (especially small ones that can't afford a legal nightmare) are operating in the US while maintaining their business overseas just to avoid this crap.

bigdamndm1986

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <04-10-12/1104:58> »
copy right , permission to do this aside, i agree it would be nice to go into the 'verse and se what mal and the crew have been up to since serenity. i also ran a serenity rpg for a while.
geek the mage first

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #14 on: <04-11-12/1134:27> »
copy right , permission to do this aside, i agree it would be nice to go into the 'verse and se what mal and the crew have been up to since serenity. i also ran a serenity rpg for a while.

I'm trying to get copies of that RPG right now. Seems like an interesting rule set, but I may use D20 Future so I don't have to teach how to play.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Register