NEWS

Orc Ganger

• 12 Replies

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« on: <01-06-12/2048:32> »
How would one make an Orc ganger that likes pistols a lot, has legwork abilities and isn't an adept? Cyberware? How can I add depth and usefulness to this idea?
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-06-12/2139:19> »
High pistols skill, specialization in semi-automatics, and lots of contacts representing all of his friends in low places.  For 'ware, at the cheap end get wired reflexes: 1, cybereyes: 2 with a smartlink and some other goodies, and muscle toner: 2.  If you see him as a higher-grade thug, you can upgrade the initiative enhancers and use the Restricted Gear quality to get his muscle toner up to 4, and add a reflex recorder for pistols.

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-06-12/2140:29> »
Sounds good but now I think I'll go machine pistols like Uzis and stuff
HACK THE PLANET
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-06-12/2157:53> »
You can probably make the Spook (see sig) into an ork ganger with a small amount of fiddling.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-06-12/2203:54> »
High pistols skill, specialization in semi-automatics, and lots of contacts representing all of his friends in low places.  For 'ware, at the cheap end get wired reflexes: 1, cybereyes: 2 with a smartlink and some other goodies, and muscle toner: 2.  If you see him as a higher-grade thug, you can upgrade the initiative enhancers and use the Restricted Gear quality to get his muscle toner up to 4, and add a reflex recorder for pistols.

Emphasis mine.

Or you could just buy the gang he was in as a group contact, though that might get pricey.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-06-12/2204:23> »
In general I agree with Glyph.  Agility is your key ability.  I would soft cap it (meaning take it to one below maximum) and then get some Muscle Toner- level 2 if you are staying with a 12 availability and level 4 if you are going to get Restricted Gear quality (and GM approval).  If the most important thing about this character is being a gun fighter. I would suggest taking pistol (6) and a specialization in semi-automatic.   Figure in a smart link this puts you at 17 dice with rating 2 toner and 19 dice with rating 4 toner.  Depending on the table you play at that is somewhere between solid and OMG good.  I would take some wired reflexes, a decent reaction, and maybe some Reaction Enhancers as well.  I also suggest taking gymnastics rather than dodge for defense.  Gymnastics can be bonused with a bioware mod called Synthacardium.  Level 3 cost 30,000, or 6 bp, for +3 to all athletics skills.  That is half the cost of the same amount of dodge skill.  It works just as well for ranged defense.  It is somewhat inferior to dodge for melee defense, but but if you are going to take a melee skill that will cover that fine.

As far as legwork, that could be several things.  As Glyph said you could just buy alot of contacts.  You could also take a decent charisma, some Etiquette(Street) and some Intimidation (physical) and you have a street smart guy who knows how to lean on someone.  If you want an implant in this area then go with Tailored Pheromones.   It bonuses social skills (or is it directly to chr?  I would have to look it up)

The only thing that I might disagree with Glyph on is the cybereyes.  I used to slap cybereyes on every character I made, but I have modified my thought on that somewhat.  Unless you plan on cramming every goodie and gizmo possible into the cybereyes, you can get the same thing in a good set of goggles for less money and no essence lost.  Not saying cybereyes are a terrible idea, but there are alternatives, especially if you are short on cash or essence once you get all the other stuff I suggested.

All of this is alot of chrome and custom work, more than a typical ganger would have, so you need some kind of back story for where he got the money, or who did the work for him. 

Edit: change to automatics rather than pistols.  I would suggest submachine guns rather than machine pistols for a specialization, as the machine pistols in Shadowrun are not among the best weapons. 
« Last Edit: <01-06-12/2209:44> by baronspam »

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-06-12/2209:48> »
@baronspam I like that idea! But I want to go with glasses. Would that work as well? I think I'll buy a ton of contacts and do a thing with intimidate and etiquette. What are group contacts?
HACK THE PLANET

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-06-12/2211:01> »
In general I agree with Glyph.  Agility is your key ability.  I would soft cap it (meaning take it to one below maximum) and then get some Muscle Toner- level 2 if you are staying with a 12 availability and level 4 if you are going to get Restricted Gear quality (and GM approval).  If the most important thing about this character is being a gun fighter. I would suggest taking pistol (6) and a specialization in semi-automatic.   Figure in a smart link this puts you at 17 dice with rating 2 toner and 19 dice with rating 4 toner.  Depending on the table you play at that is somewhere between solid and OMG good.  I would take some wired reflexes, a decent reaction, and maybe some Reaction Enhancers as well.  I also suggest taking gymnastics rather than dodge for defense.  Gymnastics can be bonused with a bioware mod called Synthacardium.  Level 3 cost 30,000, or 6 bp, for +3 to all athletics skills.  That is half the cost of the same amount of dodge skill.  It works just as well for ranged defense.  It is somewhat inferior to dodge for melee defense, but but if you are going to take a melee skill that will cover that fine.

As far as legwork, that could be several things.  As Glyph said you could just buy alot of contacts.  You could also take a decent charisma, some Etiquette(Street) and some Intimidation (physical) and you have a street smart guy who knows how to lean on someone.  If you want an implant in this area then go with Tailored Pheromones.   It bonuses social skills (or is it directly to chr?  I would have to look it up)

The only thing that I might disagree with Glyph on is the cybereyes.  I used to slap cybereyes on every character I made, but I have modified my thought on that somewhat.  Unless you plan on cramming every goodie and gizmo possible into the cybereyes, you can get the same thing in a good set of goggles for less money and no essence lost.  Not saying cybereyes are a terrible idea, but there are alternatives, especially if you are short on cash or essence once you get all the other stuff I suggested.

All of this is alot of chrome and custom work, more than a typical ganger would have, so you need some kind of back story for where he got the money, or who did the work for him. 

Edit: change to automatics rather than pistols.  I would suggest submachine guns rather than machine pistols for a specialization, as the machine pistols in Shadowrun are not among the best weapons.

With the Gymnastics, keep in mind that you can only use that skill on Full Defense. Defending normally in melee you'll still need Dodge.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-06-12/2213:18> »
Yea, the whole using gymnastics has always seemed too powergamey and hard to explain how my character is doing flips and shit to avoid bullets lol
HACK THE PLANET

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <01-06-12/2311:42> »
@baronspam I like that idea! But I want to go with glasses. Would that work as well? I think I'll buy a ton of contacts and do a thing with intimidate and etiquette. What are group contacts?

glasses work fine, but you can't put as many mods in them.  they do look more discrete.  Maybe a pair for casual/low key and then some goggles for when you are going in heavy or running the barrens? 

Group contacts are described in Runner's Companion.  Basically, instead of a person as a contact, you can buy an organization or group as a contact.  Depending on size and resources it can get pretty expensive, but if you are still tight with all the homies it might be worth it, rather than just taking a gang member or gang leader as a contact.

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-06-12/2313:27> »
Thats a great Idea! 8) casual
HACK THE PLANET

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #11 on: <01-06-12/2359:53> »
Glasses work fine, but you can't put as many mods in them.  they do look more discrete.  Maybe a pair for casual/low key and then some goggles for when you are going in heavy or running the barrens? 

Don't forget that you can also double-down by wearing Contacts (for things like Smartlink, etc, that you want always handy) and then stick the more situational stuff, like alternate vision modes, etc, in your Glasses/Goggles.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <01-07-12/0026:11> »

With the Gymnastics, keep in mind that you can only use that skill on Full Defense. Defending normally in melee you'll still need Dodge.

Correct, dodge is better in melee at an equal level of skill, but if you are buying a melee skill like unarmed anyway that will serve for defense in melee as well as dodge does.  Going the gymnastics +synthacardium route can either get you a higher defense against ranged for the same point investment, or you can go 1 in Athletics skill group, pay the six build points for the cost of the synthacardium, end up defending as well as a dodge 4 against ranged for the same price, and have decent dice pools for things like running, climbing, etc.  It never hurts to be able to get over a fence and down the ally in a heck of a hurry.

If you were not going to buy a melee skill then its somewhat less clear of a choice, but that means you don't intend to fight in melee unless forced to, so melee defenses would likely be full defenses anyway.  A full defense with dodge in melee range gets you more dice with the same skill level, but you are either going to pay more to get to that skill level (figuring in the synathcardium bonuses for dodge), or you are going to have the side bonus of the Athletic skills if you went the skill group route.