NEWS

Corporate Kid

• 27 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <01-07-12/0227:48> »
Probably an assumption made going by the descriptive text of the quality. I didn't see anything making it "explicitly incompatible" reading the quality either. In fact the portion that says any information the subject wishes to remain does stay tells me that it should be possible.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-07-12/0230:57> »
Actually, I think you're right. It means it can burn SINs, but doesn't have to if you don't want it to.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #17 on: <01-07-12/0304:59> »
Actually, I think you're right. It means it can burn SINs, but doesn't have to if you don't want it to.

Exactly! She can have the SIN while she wants it, but if it, or Records On File, become too much of a pain in the ass she can have Nanny Wintermute, or whatever name Kat picks, burn the SIN and the records, along with any other data that needs to be scrubbed. They go bye-bye in a day, she lays low for another week to make sure backups don't get restored, then she's off on her way with a shiny new Fake SIN purchased from Nanny.

And, just so everyone has the relevant text, here's the actual paragraph in question:

Quote from: Runner's Companion, Page 97
For 10 BP, any SIN, undesirable credit history, or personal information on the Matrix that she wishes is burnt (see p.96, Unwired) after 24 hours. Obviously, the eraser will preserve any data the character wishes preserved and that is vital for her to function in society.

Emphasis mine, of course.
« Last Edit: <01-07-12/0307:25> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <01-07-12/1016:47> »

Exactly! She can have the SIN while she wants it, but if it, or Records On File, become too much of a pain in the ass she can have Nanny Wintermute, or whatever name Kat picks, burn the SIN and the records, along with any other data that needs to be scrubbed. They go bye-bye in a day, she lays low for another week to make sure backups don't get restored, then she's off on her way with a shiny new Fake SIN purchased from Nanny.

And, just so everyone has the relevant text, here's the actual paragraph in question:

For 10 BP, any SIN, undesirable credit history, or personal information on the Matrix that she wishes is burnt (see p.96, Unwired) after 24 hours. Obviously, the eraser will preserve any data the character wishes preserved and that is vital for her to function in society.

This is a massive "GM permission" issue.  I would never let this fly if it were my table.  Reason being, you are getting build points for that SINer and Records on File quality.  You get the build points because they come with some sort of drawback or disadvantage during play.  By this reading of the rules the very first thing the character could do in the very first session is call their Eraser, and bing, two negative qualities go away. Mechanically, you need to spend karma, and have GM permission, to remove negative qualities.  I would allow the character to have all three qualities, but with the understanding that the SIN and the Records are for some reason held securely (perhaps in an offline database or some such) and can't be purged via Erased unless karma was spent. 
« Last Edit: <01-07-12/1129:21> by baronspam »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #19 on: <01-07-12/1035:50> »
Corporate Hacker Kid?

/dev/grrl?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #20 on: <01-07-12/1119:34> »
If an A.I. is the helping hand, it may very well consider it a game. How hard can I make you to find without erasing you completely? It could be refusing to delete the SIN and records because it would make the game too easy.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #21 on: <01-07-12/1126:23> »
Would you like to play a game?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #22 on: <01-07-12/1148:06> »
Would you like to play a game?
Love to. How about Global Thermonuclear War?

Kat9

« Reply #23 on: <01-07-12/1157:22> »
Corporate Hacker Kid?

/dev/grrl?

Actually, my inspiration was from the fluff in Unwired. Though maybe they're the same. Is /dev an elf, I thought she was human.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <01-07-12/1158:04> »
Corporate Hacker Kid?

/dev/grrl?
Actually, my inspiration was from the fluff in Unwired. Though maybe they're the same. Is /dev an elf?
Cute little nearly legal elven schoolgirl, with freckles.  ;D  And hates Hardcopy.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kat9

« Reply #25 on: <01-07-12/1203:18> »

This is a massive "GM permission" issue.  I would never let this fly if it were my table.  Reason being, you are getting build points for that SINer and Records on File quality.  You get the build points because they come with some sort of drawback or disadvantage during play.  By this reading of the rules the very first thing the character could do in the very first session is call their Eraser, and bing, two negative qualities go away. Mechanically, you need to spend karma, and have GM permission, to remove negative qualities.  I would allow the character to have all three qualities, but with the understanding that the SIN and the Records are for some reason held securely (perhaps in an offline database or some such) and can't be purged via Erased unless karma was spent.

Oh yes, I totally agree about the need for karma to be spent to get rid of the flaws. I figure I am going for a mundane, I'll have "extra karma" floating around. I tend to think of my characters in the long run, I like games that go on for years (when I can find them!). Its why I tend not to play orks, I am always twitchy when it comes to a shortened lifespan. Sure, I know old runners are SUPPOSED to be the exception but given Bull, Fastjack, Smiling Bandit and others I can't think of at the moment are still puttering around I plan to have one of my runners join the ranks on the porch.

Kat9

« Reply #26 on: <01-07-12/1206:37> »
Corporate Hacker Kid?

/dev/grrl?
Actually, my inspiration was from the fluff in Unwired. Though maybe they're the same. Is /dev an elf?
Cute little nearly legal elven schoolgirl, with freckles.  ;D  And hates Hardcopy.

Yeah that text. I've often wondered how nearly legal runners could work. I like permits for my gear not just because it makes things more easy it just makes the game more "real" to me. I've always wanted to play a game where the runners go into the shadows, not start there. I guess I should have used the phrase "corporate citizen," the "kid" I had in mind was 25. Still none the less it is about how to make a character that is still a living, breathing corporate citizen and is still able to be a runner. I know its appeared in a novel not too long ago printed.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #27 on: <01-07-12/1240:13> »
Well, she's got two parents that make sure they don't neglect the Corporation, a school that's easily confused as to it being her or a custom Agent attending virtual classes, and ways around security so she can leave the compound whenever she wants, so...

Yeah.  She's got it good.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11