NEWS

Scary-Effective Drone Builds

• 19 Replies

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« on: <01-05-12/2306:44> »
Okay, I'm interested in hearing ideas everyone has for some really nasty drone builds. The kind of stuff people tell stories about dealing with over drinks years later, assuming they survive to have those drinks to begin with.

Don't worry about being cost-effective; as long as it's RAW-Legal, go ahead and post it.

To start things off:

Lockheed Arachne: (Remember, it's Military so it's Rating 5)
Gecko Tips (Stock)
Walker Mode (Stock)
Weapon Mount (Normal, External, Turret, Remote) (Stock)
     Barrett Model 121
          Silencer (Stock)
          Smartgun System (Stock)
          Improved Range Finer
          Electronic Firing
          Chameleon Coating
          Extended Clip
          Smartgun Camera Upgrades
Improved Sensor Array
Chameleon Coating
Termination System, Self-Destruct
Targeting Autosoft
Clearsight Autosoft
Infiltration Autosoft
Tacsoft

Scatter a few of those around a combat zone and... well... I think you can see where that goes.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-06-12/0237:23> »
Not RAW legal, as barret is most definetly bigger then a lmg.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #2 on: <01-06-12/0259:11> »
Is it possible to mount Large weapon mount? What book is this drone from?

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-06-12/0300:44> »
War!

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-06-12/0323:43> »

Not if you take off the stock, bipod, and all the other bits that a Drone won't actually use to operate the thing.

Since "bigger" is such a fluid term in a game without actual LxWxH measurements for weapons, I took RAW to mean "bigger" as in "The mount is only designed to handle up to this amount of recoil, and will fail under the stress of a more powerful grade of Heavy Weapon." If not, why stop at LMG? Only difference between a lot of LMGs and MMGs is what they're chambered for at the moment.

Also, you forgot to pay your Tax.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-06-12/0420:34> »
IMO Barett uses HMG ammo, well thats the "caliber discussion" and as such pointless.
Technicaly RAW everything up to LMG means every weapon you can fire with Firearms skill group and LMG (and maybe Grenade launchers) from Heavy weapons skill category.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-06-12/0426:22> »
Technicaly RAW everything up to LMG means every weapon you can fire with Firearms skill group and LMG (and maybe Grenade launchers) from Heavy weapons skill category.

Exactly!

As someone once said, "Just because it makes sense doesn't mean it works in RAW and just because it works in RAW doesn't mean it makes sense."

But how about some other power-builds, guys?

Anyone got a sweet loadout for a Steel Lynx, or a Hussar, or something obscene they've done with a Dragonfly C-12?
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-06-12/0449:29> »
Im quite obscene with chameleon coated, ECM and signature masked Nimrod flexmounrted with customized Ares Desert strike (SA/BF, fire selection, supressor, extended clip) loaded with APDS/AV rounds. There are some other mods Id like to gicve this drone, but this is scarry enought street hunter...

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-06-12/0801:07> »
I have a weak spot for old classics from "This Old Drone"  for weapon platforms.
Like a Lone Star Strato-9 armed with a Phalanx Rotatory Cannon or if you don't want your GM to bash your head in with every rulebook he can find, with a Ruhrmetall R506 Balmung(medium minigun from german Arsenal) ;D
Or CAS Wandjina armed with GE Vindicator Minigun and Ares Thunderstruck Gauss Rifle :o
"An it harm none, do what you will"

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <01-06-12/0835:23> »
My TM uses a Hussar with a Rigger Coccoon, Chameleon Coating, and a Walker Mode. It was highly effective in Denver.

For a weapon I use a Lonestar Flash Flood Water Cannon by default, but I can switch to a heavy Autocannon if needed.

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #10 on: <01-06-12/0902:42> »
I once built a Renraku Manservant with concealed armor and a concealed AA16. While it butlered, it also bodyguarded.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #11 on: <01-07-12/1001:39> »

Not if you take off the stock, bipod, and all the other bits that a Drone won't actually use to operate the thing.

I'd point out that just the barrel alone of some Barretts are longer than many LMGs.

-k

Crash_00

« Reply #12 on: <01-07-12/1056:05> »
Length isn't the only element of size. The main issue is how big is an LMG considered to be. They range from slightly bigger than an AR (basically an AR with a belt mechanism and a hopper) all the way up to sizes just as big as full HMGs just using a smaller caliber receiver and corresponding ammo.

Overall, I'd say the Barret isn't near as bulky as the average LMG though. Keep in mind that SR weapons are most likely very different in layout than their modern counterparts.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-07-12/1117:32> »
I must admit I've always assumed sniper rifles were fine in the mount.  Mainly this is because the whole "LMG or lighter" line is just a copy/paste from older editions.  In the older editions*, sniper rifles fell under Firearms while machine guns fell under Heavy Weapons.  Thus a sniper rifle was a "lighter" weapon than a LMG.

As for OP's drone, considering all the effort used to make a super-sneaky sniper drone, why not use one that can fly?  Then you can snipe from kilometer above your targets or at the very least not worry as much about cover for long distance shots. 

*- I know this was the case in SR1.  I believe this was the case in SR2, but I couldn't find my copy.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-07-12/2127:05> »
As for OP's drone, considering all the effort used to make a super-sneaky sniper drone, why not use one that can fly?  Then you can snipe from kilometer above your targets or at the very least not worry as much about cover for long distance shots. 

Because this is all about setting up an ambush. You stick them to walls, on the edge of roofs, under overhanging ledges above the site, etc, and trigger them hours or days later when the target shows. With them all coordinating through a Tacnet, you can clear the area faster than a Troll that just had a Mexi-Bean-Chilli-Mega-Stuffer Burrito.

Flying drones also would likely be much bigger (the Arachne is small enough to be confused for a weapon accessory) and probably use too much fuel to the killbox for long.
― Albert Einstein

― Me