NEWS

Jackpointers as Contacts

• 30 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <12-30-11/2127:33> »
Now I feel like Old Man Meiers.
Come up to the porch with Bull and me, there's a Rocking Chair and a shotgun waiting.

The Eternal September, we remember it well, for we meet it every day.

Fuck.

That.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <12-31-11/0115:15> »
Come up to the porch with Bull and me, there's a Rocking Chair and a shotgun waiting.

The Eternal September, we remember it well, for we meet it every day.

Pfft. UseNet? You kids today! Back when I was on XYZZY and DARPAnet...

Well, let's just say that I was precocious.

(Still weirds me out that my neices have never known a world without an Internet, let alone non-graphical browssers. Or the idea that computers were only for rare engineering types, not average people. SO. STRANGE.)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #17 on: <12-31-11/0129:41> »
You're welcome on the porch as well.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <12-31-11/0228:31> »
I still remember when I was happy to get my hands on a 486 computer with a 100 MB hard drive and 1 MB of RAM. Pretty bad now, but I was glad to have it when I did.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #19 on: <12-31-11/0246:02> »
I still remember when I was happy to get my hands on a 486 computer with a 100 MB hard drive and 1 MB of RAM. Pretty bad now, but I was glad to have it when I did.

Agreed. I remember when I got my first Gigabyte sized HDD. I was all "Wow, this is a CAVERN. There's no WAY I could fill this thing up!"

Now I'm about to have to put in my third 2TB drive because I need the room.
« Last Edit: <12-31-11/0320:18> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <12-31-11/0328:22> »
Well, I was kind of considering Jackpoint itself as not viable, because it's an invite-only VPN.  But surely the individual posters would be viable, subject to GM rulings.
Of course, but I'm not going to deprive other people of the opportunity. That's a 20 BP contact, minimum, at chargen. But the benefit is that the PCs would "know" everything in the sourcebooks, especially stuff that wouldn't make it into ShadowSea or the Puzzle Palace, e.g. that Evan Corcoran is a master shedim and the feds know, or that Daviar owns Reality Inc.

(What is OBTW?)

Oops.  This is me being contrite after displaying lack of acronym knowledge.  Does it help if you consider yourself 18 or 21 with X years of experience?

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <12-31-11/0610:05> »

I still remember a 'computer' at my father's work place.  A hermes 200: no screen, just two printers (one was the printer, one was the 'screen'), a 4 digit display to show error codes (which you had to look up in a 1000 page manual), 3 disk drives (the ones before the 5.25" ones), no hard drive and 8K (yes indeed, K) RAM.  It ran the complete financial service of a 15.000 people village.

Now we are annoyed if it takes more than 2 seconds to download a full movie.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <12-31-11/0917:43> »
One of the gamers I was with back home was put into the computer department because he got high marks in Math and sounded highly educated.  He was a Brit in a Northern Ontarian town, he could be speaking Cockney and have still sounded "Educated".  That's it.

It was an old workhorse of a Punchcard Machine.  He knew it from the day it was uncrated until some idiot who got his job by nepotism destroyed the Master Cards used to make the standard use cards, thus rendering the machine a paperweight.  A very, very large paperweight.  Luckily, it had paid for itself a decade earlier.

When he left the company, he was able to monitor anything he'd ever care to know about the system by VPN.

*Sighs, and pours a 40 on the curb*

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #23 on: <12-31-11/1007:27> »
Yes, Frosty can be a contact through the team's actions through Dawn of the Artifacts. At the end of Dusk, she is a Loyalty 1, Connection 5 contact. Her loyalty can increase as the adventures go on. By the time of Artifacts Unbound, and the runners play their cards right, I can see her Loyalty being a 3 or even a 4. And, with Ehran being in the mix, you may be able to get a Loyalty 1 contact out of him.

My GM made Frosty one of my contacts back from the Harlequin adventure. (Man oh man that was a looooong time ago.) That certainly made it easy to transition to the beginning of Dawn of the Artifacts for  her reasons to contact our particular team.
Running the shadows since 1989.

Kat9

« Reply #24 on: <12-31-11/2154:41> »
Why do I get the image of whatever character I ever make, talking smack on the Matrix, and ends up getting Slamm-0! as a contact out of respect?  ;D

Because you identify with him.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #25 on: <01-01-12/0033:35> »
Why do I get the image of whatever character I ever make, talking smack on the Matrix, and ends up getting Slamm-0! as a contact out of respect?  ;D
Him and Plan 9.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #26 on: <01-01-12/1059:42> »
Him and Plan 9.
Slamm-0! is the natural runner in you.

Plan 9 is the Canadian. :D

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #27 on: <01-01-12/1116:54> »

I'd like to think I was a more serious person if I was a 'Runner.  Of course, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #28 on: <01-02-12/1032:44> »

I'd like to think I was a more serious person if I was a 'Runner.  Of course, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.  :P

So you say right now... ;)
Running the shadows since 1989.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #29 on: <01-02-12/2020:58> »
I would see no issue in player characters having Jackpointers has contacts providing it makes sense in-character.

I've had runners use Jane-in-the-box as a contact and hire runners from fiction as back-up for a mission. (the mage and samuria from the first 'never deal with a dragon' novel).

Its all good and creates closer linkages to the game fiction.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P