NEWS

Voodoo prank ideas

• 10 Replies

raggedhalo

• Omae
« on: <12-19-11/0559:27> »
OK, so my group has a houngan who is part of a magical group called the Bizangoes (details below).  I stole the blurb and idea from here - thank you, if you're reading!

[spoiler]BIZANGOES

Purpose: To spread disruption, obscenity and debauchery in the name of the Loa of death
Members: 12, with approx. 50 regular adherents
Strictures: Belief (following Les Barons, Maman Brigitte and the Guédé), Deed (pranking), Limited Membership (voudoun worshippers), Oath
Resources/Dues: Squatter/free (there is a very cheap HQ in the Barrens, which is funded by the adherents)
Description and Customs: Originally from New Orleans in the CAS, a number of them were chased away by other houngans for their constant trouble-making.  The Bizangoes take a great deal of pride in being strange and out of the ordinary. Originally dedicated to the idea that “Mardi Gras is Every Day,” the Bizangoes are a society of tricksters and contraries within the voodoo tradition. They routinely performed pranks on New Orleans as a whole, and this seems unlikely to change in Seattle.  They have always consisted of a broad spectrum of ethnicities and metatypes.[/spoiler]

I want to make a run out of his requirement to prank; I'd love to hear your ideas on the sort of pranks such a group might want him to pull in the Seattle Metroplex...it's March 2071 and tempo is just getting noticed, in case that helps.
« Last Edit: <12-19-11/0630:59> by raggedhalo »
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <12-19-11/0607:25> »
Off the top of my head:

1. Spiking player's meals, drinks, etc., with Tempo...cause it's fun to watch them trip balls when they aren't expecting and then later see how they deal with the addiction. And/or later try and get in on the dealing of tempo just in order to feed his spiking prank needs.

2. Wild Goose Chase. The houngon (assuming he's a NPC, yes?) pretends he's been contacted to get a team together to do something...odd. Sneak in to a bunraku parlor and switch the chips on various working girls, etc.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-19-11/0632:15> »
Thanks for the ideas!

The houngan is one of the PCs and I'd love to get the team doing something big.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #3 on: <12-20-11/1546:42> »
At the end of the day, Baron Samedi is a death god, so he would want someone toes up at the prank.
Andrew Grim

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <12-20-11/1607:12> »
At the end of the day, Baron Samedi is a death god, so he would want someone toes up at the prank.
God of the Crossroads, actually.  Not necessarily Death.  That's just one path...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #5 on: <12-20-11/2025:15> »
Legba is the loa of the crossroads, and it was some of his legends that became the myth of the devil at the crossroads. Baron Samedi is a member of the Ghede a group of death loa. The names of the Ghede change with the source.
Andrew Grim

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <12-21-11/0544:43> »
In terms of what I'm using, source-wise:

So in this context, Baron Samedi "is a sexual Loa, ... and is noted for disruption, obscenity, debauchery, and having a particular fondness for tobacco and rum. Additionally, he is the Loa of sex and resurrection, and in the latter capacity he is often called upon for healing by those near or approaching death, as it is only Baron who can accept an individual into the realm of the dead.

"He is notorious for his outrageous behavior, swearing continuously and making filthy jokes to the other spirits. He is married to another powerful spirit known as Maman Brigitte, but often chases after mortal women. He loves smoking and drinking and is rarely seen without a cigar in his mouth or a glass of rum in his bony fingers. Baron Samedi can usually be found at the crossroad between the worlds of the living and the dead. When someone dies he digs their grave and greets their soul after they have been buried, leading them to the underworld.

"Baron Samedi is the leader of the Guédé, Loa with particular links to magic, ancestor worship and death. These lesser spirits, all dressed like the Baron, are all as rude and crude as their master. They help carry the dead to the underworld."

« Last Edit: <12-21-11/0654:34> by raggedhalo »
Joe Rooney

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #7 on: <12-21-11/1035:50> »
Great, now I'm trying to figure out which Mentor Spirit would best fit Baron Samedi, since Street Magic doesn't list him among the examples.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <12-21-11/1317:17> »
Great, now I'm trying to figure out which Mentor Spirit would best fit Baron Samedi, since Street Magic doesn't list him among the examples.

Dark Goddess (after a sex change) could work very well.  So could Phoenix or Dark King.  But Seductress is probably the best.
Joe Rooney

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #9 on: <12-21-11/1359:20> »
Based on the what I know of Voodoo the real world religion Baron Samedi  he would fit the Horned Man mentor spirit. Saturday's Lord is described as being skeletal man  in a swallow tail tuxedo and top t hat with a cane. He smokes cigars, can out drink any other spirit or deity, but prefers rum. His final trademark is a dark sense of humor.

Andrew Grim

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #10 on: <12-21-11/1806:14> »
Saturday's Lord is described as being skeletal man  in a swallow tail tuxedo and top t hat with a cane. He smokes cigars, can out drink any other spirit or deity, but prefers rum. His final trademark is a dark sense of humor.
Now I remember why I like him so much.

Even if I misremember things about him.  Eh, it's been a long time since I did that research.  ...  High School.

Damnit, now I feel old.   :(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Register