NEWS

2nd Hand Assistance: Nuts'n'Bolts of Rigging

• 25 Replies

Crash_00

« Reply #15 on: <12-13-11/1609:45> »
If its adding sensor rating to a "members" channels it doesn't need the TacNet software by a strict reading. It simply feeds data to the members TacNet program.

If its actually a "member" of the TacNet, then it needs the TacNet software up and running. The confusion is that it has rules for how members get channels (before which it mentions that a drone can be a member), and in those rules are rules for using drones to supplement a members channels.

So yes, an off the shelf fly-spy can add its sensor rating to your channels (its giving another view point for extra data, etc that is getting fed to your software then heading out to the TacNet as a whole). Technically a blind, deaf, can't smell guy can just use four fly-spy's to hit his needed eight sense channels. Although, really the Flying Eye's are much cheaper and harder to shoot down.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #16 on: <12-13-11/1632:49> »
Technically a blind, deaf, can't smell guy can just use four fly-spy's to hit his needed eight sense channels. Although, really the Flying Eye's are much cheaper and harder to shoot down.

So, really, a guy willing to drop 110,400¥* could, theoretically, use 48** Flying Eye drones to fill out a Rating 4 TacNet using just drones.

Can we say "Blind Io", anyone?

*38,400¥ for the drones, 72,000¥ for the TacSofts
** 6 groups of 8, assuming the guy contributes no other channels himself.
« Last Edit: <12-13-11/1636:12> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Crash_00

« Reply #17 on: <12-13-11/1641:03> »
Yeppers. Of course one or more of those drones go down and the system is going to crumble ever so nicely.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <12-13-11/1719:25> »
Yeppers. Of course one or more of those drones go down and the system is going to crumble ever so nicely.

So that's why you spend a few thousand more nuyen and make it a nice, redundant 60 or so.  8)
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Crash_00

« Reply #19 on: <12-13-11/1731:33> »
Yep, and that's why I think Knight Errant should always have a TacNet 4 going in public areas of Seattle. With all the drones they have on surveillance and  the other inputs they have (traffic cams, security cam access, etc) all an officer should have to do is stream the program and have instant access. To top it off, even if the officers aren't carrying DR4 commlinks (which as security I think they should be) the program can always be optimized to run on as low as a rating 2 commlink.

Of course one jackass mage with Electric Cloud trying to show off for his buddies will do a lot of damage, but that's what law suits are for.

Katrex

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <12-13-11/1756:22> »
Or you know just slave them all to your comlink and only use one tacsoft program...

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <12-13-11/1912:18> »
Or you know just slave them all to your comlink and only use one tacsoft program...

Except you have to have 1 copy of the TacSoft for each "member" of the network, and you get a bonus equal to (Members -2), because you have to have a minimum of 3 members to have a network.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <12-14-11/1106:24> »

Except you have to have 1 copy of the TacSoft for each "member" of the network, and you get a bonus equal to (Members -2), because you have to have a minimum of 3 members to have a network.

I believe Katrex is talking about running a Centralized TacNet which only needs 1 copy of TacNet software.  That approach does use a heck of a lot of subscription channels for the master though.  You'll likely want to use a nexus for it.

Technically you can't put optimization on a TacNet program because it's a tactical software and not a common use, hacking, autosoft, or simsense program.  Either way, you could just run it on a rating 4 node which isn't too hard to do. 

I do agree however that TacNet software should be quite ubiquitous.  It's a really good boost for a small investment.  Heck, I'm of the opinion that TacNets should be moved into the core book* and made a bigger part of the game.  It helps keep PCs wireless and make them actually care about the matrix.  I'll want a heavy reworking of how they work though because the way they are written now is terrible. 

Kat9

« Reply #23 on: <12-15-11/0728:28> »
Hey, glad this thread is here. I am interested in drone riggers, but a bit confused by sensors.

I understand for a drone to spot something its Sensors+Clearsight, for a Rigger to see through a drone its Sensors+Perception. I know you can improve the sensors of a drone by customizing it. What I don't understand is...what senses does a drone have?

I imagine they're basically mobile cameras, so if I want to see low-light I'd have to add that to the sensors. Do I have to add in a microphone if I want to hear, or do all drones allow for my rigger to use all normal senses?

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <12-15-11/0854:04> »
Arsenal 105 Vehicle Sensors has the default standard vehicle sensor package (Capacity 12). For drones with less capacity, talk to your GM on which sensors are not present by default.

A standard trideo camera includes sound (SR4A 332). Drones do not include Olfactory or Tactile sensory devices by default.

tzizimine

• Omae
  • Yes, I misspelled tzitzimeme...
« Reply #25 on: <12-15-11/1014:04> »
You'll also note that the standard Capacity 12 sensor package for vehicles have two cameras and two range finders, for front and back. Vehicles do not have the ability to 'turn their heads' so sensor placement is also important. The standard camera does come with a microphone so seeing in a particular direction and mono-channel hearing is not difficult with just one camera, but rarely are you in the position where that will be enough.

Based on the sensor package of the drone, I recommend (in order):
1 Camera (Rating 4 w/ Low-Light, Thermographic, Flare Compensation and Visual Magnification)
1 Rangefinder
1 Motion Detector
1 Radar

If the vehicle is large enough or unwieldy enough to not be able to turn without moving
1+ additional Cameras (enough to have all-round vision, usually 6 for a vehicle)
1+ additional Rangefinders (1 per camera)
1+ additional Motion Detectors (1 per vehicle face)

Once the vehicle and see, track, gauge distance and hear in all directions, the remaining sensor slots are based on what you need it for. Drones that scout for you should have Non-Linear Junction Detectors (Arsenal pg. 59), MAD detectors and chemsniffers to detect potential threats (maybe Radiation Detector too if appropriate). Vehicles (and drones that fight for you) should have whatever sensors needed to help with a TacNet system.
"When in doubt, cause trouble. When in trouble, cause doubt."

My Cheat Sheet in pdf