NEWS

How often do runners run?

• 34 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #15 on: <12-05-11/0056:06> »
There's no shadowrunner born who couldn't make his daily bread tutoring in something.  Pick up the Instruction skill at a 1 or 2.  For costs to PCs:

Mages teach spells at Instruction skill x 250-1500¥, depending on the spell type.
Technomancers teach complex forms at Instruction skill x 1000¥.
Martial Artists teach their style at Instruction skill x 1500-2000¥, depending on whether they're certified or black market.
Tutorsofts teach stuff at a one-time buy of Instruction Rating x 1000¥

One would think that one could find instructing in almost anything to be a money-making enterprise -- and well worth the 'day job' flaw, since you're meeting with your student(s) for X number of hours a week.  Since the teaching ¥ cost is a flat rate, and the threshold for achieving knowledge is usually the skill rating or something similar -- and the interval rating is from days (spells) to weeks or months.

Few students (excluding other shadowrunners) can pay that in a lump sum, and few students are going to be pursuing that instruction for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week -- which means to boost your dojo students a rating point, or to teach them the elements of Karate, is going to be several months worth of $35/session.

2 weeks interval @ 40 hours per week and 1500¥ total = 18.75¥ per hour.
Day Job lvl 1: 1000¥/month, 10 hours/week (40 hours/month)
Teaching at Brick City Shaolin with an Instruction Skill of 1: 4 students per day in 2 classes of an hour's length each.

Of course, with a higher skill, you actually suffer on that, but hey ...

Lesson of the day: get a higher Instruction skill.  Then open up a little underground dojo/hacking school/nursing school/magic school/charm school/whatever, and teach people how to do stuff.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <12-06-11/2352:17> »

If, on the other hand, you sleaze places, use KO chemicals and forget-me-nows, and generally do your best to make sure that nobody knows you were ever there except the Johnson who hired you, the fixer who got you the specs, and the guy next Thursday who looks for the thing you stole, then the corps (well, most of them) aren't going to come after you, they're going to go after your Johnson.  And they might hire you to do it.

If you're the second sort of person, you might work weekly.  You might even work more often than that, if you need it, if you're looking for work, and if you can put up with that level of stress.

Depending on the campaign, that sort of approach might involve working all week just to pull off that one job just right - the high level shit can only be done so quickly.

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #17 on: <12-07-11/0004:17> »
I tend to play it by ear as a GM.
If they did a shit job on the last run, their fixer isn't going to be calling them with work for a lil while; they need to feel the cold.
If they did an excellent job: didn't overexpose themselves (if not in LA) and kept casualties to a minimum (or a maximum depending on the job) then they will more likely get pulled for work sooner.
I figure that they should have time to feasibly do what's needed to obtain new toys or to train for skills they buy with Karma; so anywhere between 4 days to 2 weeks goes by before they're ready to do another run.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <12-07-11/0104:27> »
How often do Runner's Run?  Either when the gem in their hand turns black, or when Lone Star/Knight Errant/Security Force Of The Week starts shooting at them.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #19 on: <12-07-11/0128:12> »
If, on the other hand, you sleaze places ...
Depending on the campaign, that sort of approach might involve working all week just to pull off that one job just right - the high level shit can only be done so quickly.

A point I applaud you for, sir.  I have always disliked runs which are 'this must be done quietly, with nobody knowing, and it must be done TONIGHT!!!1!!1!  Oh, and for 10,000¥.'  That's the sort of thing where you just grab the Johnson, drag him into the alley, kill him, and riffle his corpse for loose change.  "You can have quiet, you can have fast, or you can have cheap.  Pick two."  Even then, quiet doesn't typically come cheap ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #20 on: <12-07-11/0129:55> »
A point I applaud you for, sir.  I have always disliked runs which are 'this must be done quietly, with nobody knowing, and it must be done TONIGHT!!!1!!1!  Oh, and for 10,000¥.'  That's the sort of thing where you just grab the Johnson, drag him into the alley, kill him, and riffle his corpse for loose change.  "You can have quiet, you can have fast, or you can have cheap.  Pick two."  Even then, quiet doesn't typically come cheap ...
Or often until you've bounced him off the wall a few times.  After the concussion, things tend to quiet down.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <12-07-11/1255:04> »
About twice a month in SRM. I take off frequently to find gear, train, and register sprites.

Fabe

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <12-07-11/2234:19> »
How often do Runner's Run?  Either when the gem in their hand turns black, or when Lone Star/Knight Errant/Security Force Of The Week starts shooting at them.  ;D

+5000 Geek points for obscure sci-fi reference 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <12-07-11/2243:35> »
+5000 Geek points for obscure sci-fi reference
I GM Paranoia.  Of course I know that movie.

Also loved when it was referenced in Fallout:  New Vegas.

That said...  "RUN, RUNNER!!!"

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <12-08-11/2001:13> »
LOL Makes me want to make a big bad bounty hunter and call him Sandman!! Logans Run is a sci fi clasic!!!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #25 on: <12-09-11/1822:53> »
Like others said before, depends on the group.

For my games, I try to offer 3 runs a month, with a big pay-off run every 3 or 4 months. It's up to the players if they take the runs or not. Then I factor in things like body count, happiness of the Johnson (did they talk him up too much, was he happy with the result?, etc)

If they screwed up (too many bodies, didn't get all items/data, made too much noise, etc) they could (and have!) found that there next job is coming from the people they just hit (ie: SETUP!!) or, even worse, jobs dry up for a while! Keep in mind I run campaigns, so about 50% of runs are "trash runs" 20% are story arc "red herrings" and 30% relate to the actual story arc they are currently on (love to keep them guessing as to WTF is actually happening)

In the end, pick a level of job/week ratio that works for you, and use it! It's your game!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <12-11-11/1011:22> »
What if the team manages to do a run in such a way that the target benefits by not pursuing things and the results accomplish the mission parameters in a way that the Johnson isn't even sure if the team did anything?

Note that, while difficult, it can be accomplished sometimes.  However, some Johnsons, specifically S-K Johnsons, won't like it because the runners didn't follow the carefully laid out plans. It does create a certain type of reputation along the lines of "Be careful what you wish for."

Those kinds of runs tend to be more profitable in the long run since you don't have to lay low or avoid enemies afterwards.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #27 on: <12-11-11/1355:33> »
What if the team manages to do a run in such a way that the target benefits by not pursuing things and the results accomplish the mission parameters in a way that the Johnson isn't even sure if the team did anything?

Note that, while difficult, it can be accomplished sometimes.  However, some Johnsons, specifically S-K Johnsons, won't like it because the runners didn't follow the carefully laid out plans. It does create a certain type of reputation along the lines of "Be careful what you wish for."

Those kinds of runs tend to be more profitable in the long run since you don't have to lay low or avoid enemies afterwards.

Puts me in mind of that guy from the second episode of Alphas. Flick a quarter and cause a 5-car pileup.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Stry

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <12-13-11/1004:09> »

Keep in mind the teams reputation.   If a team is all about stealth and getting in and out unnoticed, a Johnson is not going to hire that team if he wants the run to be big loud and messy,  just as a Johnson is not going to hire a team of gunny bunnies to do a stealthy type job.

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <12-13-11/1517:18> »

Personally, I think the average runner always wants to lay low a little and make it hard for retribution after any run, just in case - no matter how slick or well-executed the bait to avoid retribution may be. Because even with the best, you never know when you overlooked something, or there was something you didn't know about, and there will be someone looking for blood. So its always best to play it cool, just in case. YMMV of course, but that is the way it would run at my table.

Also, again this sounds like a very well prepared, very professional run - the sort of thing where a runner team could be a whole week at preparing it. So while they're back in action quicker than the goons who have to wait for Lone Star to have some new mass-murderers to chase, they're still not pulling that many runs.

That's how I see it anyway - although don't get me wrong, there are some big advantages to not making enemies when you can avoid it, including having to lay low for a shorter period of time.

Register