NEWS

The Mass Effect Series

• 55 Replies

RelentlessImp

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <12-23-11/1147:25> »
For anyone wanting to get into Mass Effect before ME3 and is reading this thread, Steam now has both ME1 and ME2 at $4.99 USD each.
Next time you're down on your knees, and you're expecting a slap, it might be me in that mask, and I just might have a bat.
Currently Looking for Work

Waylander

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: <12-23-11/1542:49> »
Between Mass Effect and The Elder Scrolls I have my video gaming hands full. The Mass Effect series is my favorite of all time so far though.

Ronin

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <12-28-11/0647:28> »
I have bad news in Mass Effect 3 i have heard in the 360 magazine that you can choose to turn off the rpg elemnts of me3 and also there is going to be a multiplayer horde mode thing....
But atleast this time we might be able to go on Earth

Welcome to the Shadows Andy!! No longer a civilian.  ;D

Yeah, got Rage for xmas and I love it! Getting Skyrim soon and ME3 is comig out in... March? Is it March? Along with Prey 2 (Which looks awesome compared to Prey 1) I swear Bethesda cant make a bad RPG (except Fallout but we all pretend that entire series never happened, right?)   ;)  Anyway, RPG thirst is sated for the forseeable future

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #33 on: <12-28-11/1006:20> »
Rage lasts about five hours.

Then you get really angry.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Waylander

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <12-28-11/1018:04> »
Rage lasts about five hours.

Then you get really angry.

I found Rage really satisfying and fun. If you do the side quests, races, and explore you can log on some hours. I have about 18 hours into my Rage game and have not beat it yet, though I'm right at the end, I guess maybe 2 hours more.

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <12-28-11/1045:38> »
The Commander Shepard Song By Miracle Of Sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCaLNC2hMEg
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Ronin

• Newb
« Reply #36 on: <12-28-11/1633:32> »
I found Rage really satisfying and fun. If you do the side quests, races, and explore you can log on some hours. I have about 18 hours into my Rage game and have not beat it yet, though I'm right at the end, I guess maybe 2 hours more.

Wait, what?? Three discs for a 20 hour game?  Iv only played it for a little while and im already a quarter the way through?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #37 on: <12-28-11/1636:04> »
Wait, what?? Three discs for a 20 hour game?  Iv only played it for a little while and im already a quarter the way through?
You got it.

My one-disc copy of Saints Row The Third and Skyrim are longer than those three DVDs.  I'm still trying to figure that out.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Ronin

• Newb
« Reply #38 on: <12-28-11/1648:32> »
What's on those discs? Still pretty cool game but I was expecting Final Fantasy VII epic-ness in length for this game.  Bethesda know how to make RPGs and id know how to make shooters so you can't lose.  20 hours is still a respectable length for a game, just not a role playing game.

Waylander

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <12-28-11/2105:33> »
For a normal shooter that averages 6-8 hours yes Rage is a long game. RPG wise mine average 40-60 hours for some and up to 300 hours, just one character. Rage has 3 disks on the Xbox. Disk 1 and 2 are the game and disk 3 is multi-player. The main reason for the game being on 2 disks is all about the graphics, not really the gameplay content.

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <02-24-12/0921:29> »
Well just fiddled with the demo to see what things are like (SPOILER ALERT!!)

Okay the demo is not very long in and of itself, but does have the multiplayer add-ons integrated into it as well as the Gameplay Style selection

A rough break down goes something like this:

Action: All player selective ability to affect the Story in terms of roleplaying is Disabled in Action, tho I have noticed that the preponderance of responses for Shepard seem to lean towards Renegade if you do this. maybe it's the Devs Razzing the player for being a Herbert, I'm not sure.

Classic: The Classic mix of Action and RPG elements players have come to know and love.

Story: Exactly what it says on the tin in this case, with more story elements and slightly light on the Shooty aspect of the Game. Combat is as brutal as ever, just not as much of it, at least as far as I can see.

Combat in General: Okay, when they said the game was more difficult, they weren't kidding. the Enemy is now smart enough to use cover and support each other during assaults and use proper tactics (pop smoke and gang rush, throw grendades, drecketera). Even the Story mode, they area pretty nasty bunch. Cover is your friend and use your allies when possible to help but things down.

Controls seem smoother and more responsive, so that's a plus. Standard controls accessed by hitting left shift on ones keyboard are still present. Grendae throwing is a bit easier than it used to be. the heavy melee strike is used by double tapping the F key.

Multiplayer: Well, I'm jsut starting to fiddle with this, but seems to be a decent team up and take an objective little game. more as I fiddle with it.

The Story so far: We come in in media res after Shepard has been stripped of command by Earth Command, (I'm guessing something to do with the Arrival DLC from ME 2)  and si summoned to Earth's Defense command council. after bit of exposition, the Reapers all out assault on earth begins and Shepard has to get to the Normandy. This a quick little mission in which the player is familairized with shooting, running, and jumping and melee attacks while trying to get to Radio to call in for an extraction.

The second part of the demo is running around on the Salarian homeworld, trying to extraxt one of the last unifected Krogan females. our old pals Cerberus disagree with this idea and you get to run up against Cerberus assault troops of various forms and learn such new an interesting ways to get shot at including grenades, remote sentry guns and other fun ideas. the mini boss at the end is small Assault mecha you must take out to compete the op

« Last Edit: <02-24-12/1211:35> by TheWanderingJewels »
Echoing through my head

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #41 on: <02-24-12/1052:38> »
Have you tried the Kinect interaction yet? I know you're supposed to be able to "yell" orders to your squad and (possibly) answer the RPG wheels directly, but haven't gave it a shot yet.

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <02-24-12/1057:32> »
using a pc, so that'sa negative, FJ

as an addtional Bonus, I noticed the Seattle Neele in the background of the New 'Take Back Earth' trailer....so the Reapers are leveling Sea-Tac/Vancouver as you bug out
« Last Edit: <02-24-12/1103:18> by TheWanderingJewels »
Echoing through my head

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #43 on: <02-27-12/2050:44> »
I haven't tried the kinect stuff myself, FJ. But so far I haven't seen/read anything about using in on response wheels. I'll likely be replacing my near-broken 360 with a kinect-inclusive one before ME3 goes live, though. So I'll have a chance to find out.

As for the multiplayer, it's a good system they've got going. Even the demo's group-finding is halfway decent, you can advance/swap characters even after the group's formed as long as there's one person who hasn't clicked in as ready and the characters use simplified breakdowns of the class powers so there's only ever three to worry about (one for LB, one for RP, one for Y on the 360), plus your own accessories on the d-pad (healing, re-arming, self-rez, and a 1- or 2-shot heavy missile launcher for those pesky Atlas mech infestations.

What I've heard (but haven't looked into) is that the multiplayer system will have an effect on the 'Galaxy at War' mechanic, where the results of missions in multiplayer will make certain areas of the galaxy less/more dangerous for Allied forces. And that the Galaxy at War status can have an effect on your single player game, although I haven't read anything specific about this.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Smiley

• Omae
  • Full of bad Lulz
« Reply #44 on: <03-10-12/0006:48> »
So anyone tried Mass Effect 3? Did anyone finished it?

I finished it. It is a really good game... [spoiler]But the last 15-20 minutes sucks! The worst part is that this game had been so perfect until you get to the end. Endings are crap, no closure at all with your present and past companions (except the ones who die) and Shepard most likely will die during your gameplay (it's quite a feat without playing multiplayer). No matter the ending, the mass effect relays all explodes and your present companions just get stranded without any comprehensible reason on an unknown planet after a crash (they couldn't stay in Sol space like the rest? Why the jump in the first place?). You get attached to those characters, you want to know what happens to them (at the very least like they do in the Dragon Age series). I always replay the Mass Effect games a few times, make different choices, choose new classes but after seeing how this one ends, I'm not going to replay it, nor am I going to play future DLCs. I might (notice I said might) give it another shot if they include another more fulfilling alternate ending (not necessarily happy, but that'd be my preference). In short, that screwed my entire experience of an otherwise very good game.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <03-10-12/0031:44> by Smiley »
"Fun? Frag yeah! Always is when that involves a bucket full of drek!"
-Smiley

Register