Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

The "Mute" program option

(1/1)

Kontact:
Text says that any program with the mute option, which sets off an alarm, delays the effects of that alarm for a full combat turn.  

First off, I've got to assume they mean alert.  Sometimes the writers use alarm when the mean alert elsewhere in the text when describing someone getting busted by the firewall or IC.  I really feel like this is one of those times.

Even then, what does "delays the effects of that alarm for a full combat turn" mean?

Does it mean:
Until the next CT begins? (which pretty much sucks.)
Until the same IP on the next CT as that IP when the alarm was triggered? (which seems like the logical reading of 'delayed for one full CT')
or
Until after the next CT has passed completely. (which goes against the fact that an alert becomes effective immediately upon being triggered and gives the intruder extra time to bust in with admin privs and kill the alert before it takes effect.)

Either way, hooray for Mute making it possible for non-TMs to Hack on the Fly again!

EDIT: man... no one likes to hack, eh?

RK5:
The text says 'one full combat turn'

I would say the alarm would be delayed and would go off after one full combat turn has passed, so immediately after that person's next action.

Bradd:
Turns and actions aren't the same if you have more than one initiative pass. However, I think that's the right answer if you account for multiple passes.

Our group has been slowly working out the hacking rules, but we don't use it consistently enough to really get it down and work out the kinks. In this case, I would use the grenade rules as an inspiration: The effect ends on the character's initiative, exactly one turn later. For example, if you do it on pass 3, initiative 12, then it ends on pass 3, initiative 12 of the next turn. For simplicity, you might just want to have it happen on the character's turn instead of a specific initiative count.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version