NEWS

So, why is Rox still in a box?

• 72 Replies

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« on: <11-01-11/0946:08> »
(Crossposting this from RPG.Net when I realized that the Secret History forum existed here. D'oh!)

Ol' Roxy had a horrible autoimmune disease that left him a year to live back in '49, but Universal Omnitech (A corporation that he owned 5% of) gave him a chance, albeit a risky one. He took their treatment (A germ-based thing) and ... lived? Ish?

Ol' Roxy's tissue discorporated, no longer shaking hands with one another, seperating into a mass of goop that lives in a vat, only hs brain still intact. He's been working on a cure for his cure ever since, and over the past twenty three years, has become an astoundingly good decker (The advantages of living in the Matrix 24/7) ... He's been haunted by Alice Haeffner, who has some sort of history with him that I've never learned. Alice was a member of Echo Mirage, died fighting the original Crash Virus, and became a ghost in the machine (The first, perhaps?) ... a Matrix-based entity that might have been Alice's ghost, that might have been a reflection of same made by the Crash virus, or might have been the Crash virius itself ... no one's ever said, really. Alice had a hate on for Roxy and whenever he'd get close to making his life better, she'd step in and ruin it.

"His fate is terrible. Rest assured, he's earned worse."

Crash 2.0 seems to have eradicated Alice, leaving the door open for Roxy to move up. The idea of rigging 'wimps' (Clones of people, never woken up, to have a body on hand for spare parts) with remote operation gear is now possible, and brain transplants seem within the realm of Shadowrun technology. (Dr Halbertsan, for instance, has been doing it since the mid 50's) ... Seems like the stage is set for ol' Roxy to walk out on stage, celebrate with a big smile, and see UO's stock shoot skyward.

Of course, the question of if he *deserves* a 'happy ending' is a valid one. Maybe. (Does anybody know the backstory between him and Alice?)

Then again, it could be a classic "My only regret ... is that I have ... boneitis!" moment, where he gets to walk around free for a while, then it all falls apart and he winds up worse than before. See Victor Freize in Batman Beyond, or Eric Cartman's amusement park.

I dunno. Today's a day for thinkin', and ol' Roxy just came up.

Anybody got thoughts?

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #1 on: <11-01-11/1250:40> »
I would guess it's largely because, well, no ones gotten around to doing anything with it. 

It comes down to a finite amount of word count and books coupled with whatever the writers are interested in playing around with.  Heck, this is why most plotlines drag on as long as they do (And as much as I love the "living world" aspect of Shadowrun and the always moving forward timeline, this is also one of the drawbacks to it).

That said...  I don't believe any of the AI's are truly gone.  Changed, definately.  Diminished, almost certainly.  But gone?  Heh.

(Note:  That's just my own opinion, and not an official comment on them :))

Bull

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <11-01-11/1251:11> »
I still want to see a fist-fight between Roxy and Argent's Decker, Peg era 2050s.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-01-11/1445:07> »
Oh, agreed on the AIs. Deus is still branching out (hah!), for certain, while the other two are probably out there as well, if in diminished forms.

Ol' Roxy gets mentioned once in a while, but isn't an active plot, just one of those backburner "If we ever have a dry spell, we could dig him up" things.

I'm still curious on his backstory, however. I *think* someone once said it's expanded more in the original Secrets of Power trilogy, but I never did get around to reading those. Beyond that, you get some tiny hints or suggestions, but nothing more. Fairly certain he's not one of the Echo Mirage team, however... I *think* that all of them are now accounted for.

(Where's Ancient History when you need him?)

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #4 on: <11-01-11/1625:28> »
YOu should read them, Wak.  They're good, especially for the atmosphere.

That's something I need to poke Jason & Co about...  We really need to see about getting the rest of the novel novels (Most of them, actually) and the last 20 or so FASA/Fanpro books properly scanned and OCRd.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <11-01-11/1955:35> »
(Where's Ancient History when you need him?)
Extremely unhappy, and doesn't want to talk about it.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-01-11/2107:28> »
Understood on that one, CanRay.

I miss him, tho.

As for Rox, I'll have to see about fitting him in somewhere, sometime.

Assuming I can gather up the backstory with him and Alice, at any rate. :)

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #7 on: <11-02-11/0043:42> »
I still want to see a fist-fight between Roxy and Argent's Decker, Peg era 2050s.  :P

Me too.  :P
Running the shadows since 1989.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-02-11/0603:51> »
I'm still curious on his backstory, however. I *think* someone once said it's expanded more in the original Secrets of Power trilogy, but I never did get around to reading those.
Not quite, it's in the Dragonheart Trilogy (this should not discourage you from reading Secrets of Power, though)
[spoiler]
As the CEO of Acquisition Technologies, Roxy ordered the development of a core war virus to be used against a rival company called [something] Threads. During a test run against another company something went wrong, the virus got loose and the result is what we know as the Crash of '29.

This damage caused the head programmer of Acquisition Technologies, a certain David Gillian [or soemthing like that, you know who I'm talking about], to switch sides and head the fight against the virus...reportedly Dunkelzahn as the owner of [something] Threads also played a role in that decision. And as if those were not enough big names in one small spot, another employee of Acquisition Tech also made a fortune as CEO of a triple-A corp: Lucien Cross.
[/spoiler]

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <11-02-11/0856:58> »
Me too.  :P
We had a big "Who would win a fist fight" thread in The Other Forum, and that was (one of) my suggestions.

I'm glad they don't have a rep system there.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #10 on: <11-02-11/0858:41> »
I'm still curious on his backstory, however. I *think* someone once said it's expanded more in the original Secrets of Power trilogy, but I never did get around to reading those.
Not quite, it's in the Dragonheart Trilogy (this should not discourage you from reading Secrets of Power, though)
[spoiler]
As the CEO of Acquisition Technologies, Roxy ordered the development of a core war virus to be used against a rival company called [something] Threads. During a test run against another company something went wrong, the virus got loose and the result is what we know as the Crash of '29.

This damage caused the head programmer of Acquisition Technologies, a certain David Gillian [or soemthing like that, you know who I'm talking about], to switch sides and head the fight against the virus...reportedly Dunkelzahn as the owner of [something] Threads also played a role in that decision. And as if those were not enough big names in one small spot, another employee of Acquisition Tech also made a fortune as CEO of a triple-A corp: Lucien Cross.
[/spoiler]

In other words, there's a lot of big names that would be vicious enough to make sure he never ever finds a cure.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <11-02-11/0911:43> »
Well, one's no longer a problem.

Directly.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #12 on: <11-02-11/1556:52> »
Unless he left notes to some of his loyal followers saying that this guy needed to be kept miserable for as long as possible. Dragons have been known to do things like that.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <11-02-11/1708:50> »
Thus my addition of "Directly".  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

MK Ultra

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <11-03-11/0904:38> »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The top datasearch hit for Dunkelzahnīs company was this - http://www.gossamer-threads.com/