NEWS

The Passions (yes i know it is related to ED)

• 63 Replies

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #45 on: <01-31-12/0919:44> »
But the real question is...  WHO RUNS BARTER TOWN?
Master Blaster
Louder...  *Flips a Switch*
MASTER BLASTER!
Lift embargo.  ;D

Turns to Mel Gibson. 'So you'll do it?'

*End Scene*
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <07-15-16/0243:06> »
I have one! So other than it being Harlequin, why do you think he was only imagining that the passion was there? (other than he was drunk :) )

~Dodger

Ok, so I only found this post while Googling exactly the same question the original poster asked. I don't think Harlequin can actually get drunk. My reason is that immortal elves are immune to poisons, and alcohol is, put very simply, a poison. I think he pretends to be drunk, and since the alcohol is still in his system, he would show up as certifiably drunk on a breathalyzer test, even if it's not actually affecting him. For that same reason, I don't believe immortal elves can be sedated or anesthetized because most drugs used for those purposes are actually low doses of toxins (Succinylcholine is a perfect example of this).
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #47 on: <07-18-16/0333:10> »
The Passions we know in Barsaive may not exist on the other side of the globe; other Passions as yet unknown may take their place. More likely, men and women in distant lands know the same Passions but call them by different names. Whatever the truth, the reader will find in these pages all that we know of the Passions of Barsaive.

From http://www.angelfire.com/hero/earthdawn/passions.html

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <07-18-16/2315:57> »
The Passions we know in Barsaive may not exist on the other side of the globe; other Passions as yet unknown may take their place. More likely, men and women in distant lands know the same Passions but call them by different names. Whatever the truth, the reader will find in these pages all that we know of the Passions of Barsaive.

Nice quote!  :)

Think of American Gods if you are a Gaiman fan (if not, check his work out).

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #49 on: <08-08-16/0851:54> »

The passions won't show up at some point, they are already here. In Earthdawn they were indeed known by different names at different Places which can be seen by compairing the barsaive versions of the passions with the Cathay versions of the same passions. In those times where magic were high the passions answered and influenced the World. Then came the 5th World, people didn't forget the passions, but the passions stopped answering and influencig,  not all at once and not all the time, i mean there were manaspikes and such, so slowly people started thinking that the passions needed to be placated to start answering and so started sacrificing in order to get the passions to respond to them and slowly the passions became distant Gods too busy or uncaring to involve themselves in peoples lives, but they never left and they are still here and have started answering Again.....WHO are Thor, Mars, Ares...etc. but Thystonius by other names, WHO are Aphrodite, Venus and Freya but Astendar by other names, but now it is the 6th World and they have started answering Again and grant their followers powers ( mentor spirits ).

BlackMyron

• Newb
« Reply #50 on: <08-10-16/0104:51> »
Apparently the whole topic of Passions is kept suppressed by the old-timers - someone makes reference to overhearing someone discussing following Passions in the Tir Tairngire SB, and Harlequin breaks in to tell him "you're a dead man.  I'll send flowers."  (not that he was implying he was going to kill him, of course, but that Interested Parties would)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #51 on: <08-10-16/0150:22> »
Apparently the whole topic of Passions is kept suppressed by the old-timers - someone makes reference to overhearing someone discussing following Passions in the Tir Tairngire SB, and Harlequin breaks in to tell him "you're a dead man.  I'll send flowers."  (not that he was implying he was going to kill him, of course, but that Interested Parties would)
It is part of the whole thing they've done trying to 'de-religion' the people. Big D talks about it in the Aztlan book. Basically, the Dragons and Immortal Elves decided to try and emphasize science and other such stuff, to help advance people, and reduce the troubles that would come when the Sixth World came around.

But really, everything about the Fourth World is held under wraps by those in the know. Part of it is so that the young crowd can 'earn' the knowledge (and hopefully get the discipline that comes with earning it), and not just be spoon-fed everything. But the main part of it is that there is a whole can of worms they don't want opened before it is time. Aztlan already tried to kick-start the Scourge early, because a few people in the corp had the knowledge and shared it with their mages. People just aren't ready for news of what is coming, and if you let too much info out, you risk people figuring the rest out.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #52 on: <08-10-16/0324:00> »

There's probably good reason for that. The SR universe has enough problems without the mad passions getting involved. That said, the mad passions are probably already influencing the world on a much more subtle scale. In fact, with as creepy, manipulative, and powerful as Aztechnology is, I can't help but feel like the person (and I use that word loosely) pulling their puppet strings is none other than the master puppeteer himself. Vestrial.

Which makes me wonder what Dis and Raggok have been up to.

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #53 on: <08-10-16/0500:51> »
Again continuing along the thread of thought that SR Mentors = ED Passions ( yes i know there are way more mentors than passions, but Again in ED, they were known by different names..etc. in different Places, so there seemed to be more of them and maybe there were/are more than the 13 we know. ), then the mad passions would surely be represented by mentors such as for example advesary and others, also remember that twisted magicians follows twisted versions of the mentors.

So Vestrial, Dis and Raggok are plenty active.

BlackMyron

• Newb
« Reply #54 on: <08-10-16/2158:23> »
It is interesting to note that it's Vestrial that was apparently pushing Harlequin to bring the fight to the Horrors...

... but also that Harlequin seems caught up in a powerful being's influence in recent events. 

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #55 on: <08-10-16/2222:56> »
It is interesting to note that it's Vestrial that was apparently pushing Harlequin to bring the fight to the Horrors...

... but also that Harlequin seems caught up in a powerful being's influence in recent events.

Harlequin has been caught up in Vestrial's influence since before the Scourge. He used to be Vestrial's questor before the fall of Sereatha, and might very well still be so. Being torn between serving his insane patron and trying to save the world from the Horrors sheds a pretty heartbreaking light on why Harley acts the way he does.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #56 on: <08-11-16/1646:03> »

Dis, Passion of unnecessary work, bureaucracy, and slavery... I think (s)he's pretty busy : after all, (s)he's basically the heart and soul of every megacorp out there :)

As for Raggok, Passion of bitterness, hate and jealousy... Seems to me he's very active on some internet forums :p
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #57 on: <08-11-16/1853:58> »

Dis, Passion of unnecessary work, bureaucracy, and slavery... I think (s)he's pretty busy : after all, (s)he's basically the heart and soul of every megacorp out there :)

As for Raggok, Passion of bitterness, hate and jealousy... Seems to me he's very active on some internet forums :p

Vestrial, passion of deceit, treason, and trickery. That about sums up the whole fraggin game!

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #58 on: <08-12-16/1842:35> »
ED Passions = SR Totems / Mentor Spirits??  That's one way to look at it, sure.

It's not accurate, but it is interesting.
« Last Edit: <08-12-16/1845:08> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #59 on: <08-26-16/2055:01> »
ED Passions = SR Totems / Mentor Spirits??  That's one way to look at it, sure.

It's not accurate, but it is interesting.

Are you are saying that there is not a one-to-one correlation between Earthdawn Passions and particular sixth world totems? Or are you saying they don't function in similar fashions/occupy similar roles?