NEWS

Anybody bothered by encryption?

• 106 Replies

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #105 on: <01-08-12/1900:51> »
@ Sichr,

While all of that is true, it does allow me to sum up a very good question.

Does one need to access a node (be it subscribing to it, logging on to it, etc) in order to Spoof a command that looks like it came from that node?

If yes, then I definitely agree that Encrypt vs. Decrypt needs to be enforced.

If no, then that requirement gets a great deal murkier...

To spoof a command you don't need to log into a node, you just need to know the Access Id of each node, each being both the node you want to command and the node you want the command to "come from".  If both nodes are local to you and are not in hidden mode you can get that information just make taking a free action to detect wireless nodes.  If they are both local but the master node is hidden (say a drone being commanded from a comlink in hidden) you need to do a Detect Hidden Node action to find the master node.  If the master node is not local to you then you need to run a trace with an Trace User action to get the master node ID.

As to if you need to break encryption to spoof, my opinion is yes.  The way I read it, encryption can keep an unauthorized system from talking to the node, just as a laptop without the encryption key for my router can't talk to the router without breaking the encryption.  I don't think the node would even evaluate the spoofed command for authenticity unless the encryption had been broken.  Ultimately, however, I don't think the rules EXPLICITLY say (unless it is in Unwired somewhere) so it is probably a GM call.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #106 on: <01-09-12/0307:48> »
Since encryption deals rather with the incomming signal then node itself, I would say that you dont need to use Decryption to Spoof. Unless the node is only accepting commands encrypted with proper key, which is also described in Unwired. In such case, you will need to break encrytion on the signal. Which, on the other side, you will also need to Intercept the traffic and Trace the commanding node AcessID, so  you will need it this way or another. At least signal cannot be Encrypted hard.