NEWS

Skin Walker...totally useless?

• 35 Replies

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« on: <09-26-11/0028:30> »
So I'm reading through Spy Games, looking to add some fun espionage elements to my games, when I find the rules for the Blood Adept metamagic Skin Walker. Now, this sounds completely awesome from every possible angle. A spy who kills her victim and Cannibalizes her, becoming identical to her target both physically and astrally, for Magic * Grade hours, or days by spending a measly 3 karma? Fantastic. Sounds like an amazing enemy to throw at my players, somebody who can look like anybody, assuming the form of whoever she needs to for her mission.

...And then I get to the end, and see any user of Skin Walker gains Astral Hazing for the duration. ...What? Seriously? You've gotta be kidding me. What's the point of becoming Astrally identical to your target if your very presence creates a blight on the very surface of astral space, the likes of which only cyberzombies can compete with? Anyone even mildly aware of magic would see something is horribly wrong with this person immediately. The disguise would immediately fail, because hey, I don't remember Jim tainting the very fabric of the universe last week, so why is he doing that now?

And that doesn't even touch on the fact that the victim of Astral Hazing is just as effected as everybody else. An Adept Metamagic that makes you lose 4 Power Points every time you use it? AWESOME!

So...yeah, what the hell?

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #1 on: <09-26-11/0126:18> »
Well, considering what you have to do to assume the appearance of someone else, the hazing just makes sense. You ARE a horribly wrong thing.

-k

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-26-11/0133:40> »
I don't really see how its any worse than any other Blood Magic ritual, none of which cause Astral Hazing. Plus, considering the very purpose of this metamagic is to serve as a disguise for spies, the fact it makes them stick out worse than an Astral Beacon is extremely counter-productive.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <09-26-11/0711:14> »
I don't really see how its any worse than any other Blood Magic ritual, none of which cause Astral Hazing. Plus, considering the very purpose of this metamagic is to serve as a disguise for spies, the fact it makes them stick out worse than an Astral Beacon is extremely counter-productive.
You're EATING their SOUL. VERY bad mojo.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #4 on: <09-26-11/0917:18> »
Most Blood Magic tends to send the background count in the area skyrocketing, anyhow.

-k

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #5 on: <09-26-11/0926:17> »
Doesn`t change the fact that the trick completely fails in what it is designed to do...traceless infiltration...
Unless there is a way to mask the hazing somehow...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <09-26-11/0938:35> »
You're EATING their SOUL. VERY bad mojo.
*Looks up from my meal*  It is?  *Looks down*  Oh dear...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-26-11/1027:35> »
I can't believe people are defending this power... yes, it is terrible and worthless, and nobody will ever use it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <09-26-11/1029:34> »
I can't believe people are defending this power... yes, it is terrible and worthless, and nobody will ever use it.
Well, this soul tastes like chocolate...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #9 on: <09-26-11/1033:02> »
Isn't Astral Hazing a thing just awakened characters would perceive? So there's 99% of the population who would still be fooled by the character becoming physically the other. The thing is that the astral disguise does not help you at all, it seems...

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-26-11/1033:42> »
Well, this soul tastes like chocolate...

Was your main course a monk? You should have left it for the dessert!

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-26-11/1039:15> »
It's a Perception+Intuition (4) test for mundanes, and automatic for awakened characters...that's a really lousy disguise.

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <09-26-11/1040:36> »
I didn't know there was a test for mundanes to perceive it, so, well, I agree. Really lousy.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <09-26-11/1100:01> »
But you get to eat soul food, and that's never a bad thing!  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-26-11/1100:39> »
I think I'm confused.

Isn't the only way awakened can actually see the hazing if they're actually "looking"?

I mean, astral perception is perception+intuition (4) for both mundane and awakened, but awakened get +2 dice.

(UmaroVI, I see you say it's automatic. I'm referencing:
Astral Detection
Physical beings may sense when an astral form passes through their
aura. Make a Perception + Intuition (4) Test; apply a +2 dice pool
bonus if the character is Awakened.

Register