NEWS

My second character.

• 5 Replies

Joshb81959

• Newb
« on: <09-12-11/0616:16> »
I played Shadowrun a year or two ago.. My first character was a generic cyberpunk samurai, ambidextrous, dual pistols, high reaction, shooting up drugs in the back of a van.  Kind of boring.. especially seeing as I would be shooting up in a van at the beginning and still make it all the way to the entrance before anyone else did. lol

Today I started refreshing my memory on the game by creating a character.  My characters always have to have a tiny amount of silly to them.. but I think I got a nice balance between silly and serious going with this one.

I want him to be highly charismatic, but I also want him to be prone to failure most of the time.  I want him to be able to talk people into things, but I also want him to be somewhat offensive in the way he does it.

How botched is it so far?  Got any ideas?  Am I going too far with some of the stats?

Attributes
Body 3
Agility 3
Reaction 5
Strength 2
Charisma 6
Intuition 5
Logic 1
Willpower 1
Edge 8

His positive qualities
aptitude (con)
First impression
Lucky

Negative Qualities
In Debt (15,000)
Liar
Poor Self Control (Braggart)
Signature (I'm thinking a business card.. lol)

His active skills and specialties
Con 7 Fast Talk
Etiquette 3
Negotiation 4 Bargaining
Palming 3
Pistols 4 Tasers
Running 3 Urban
Climbing 2

Cyberware
commlink

Lifestyle
HIGH

Street Gear
contact lenses with image link/vision enhancement/low light.
Armor clothing and Armor jacket
Defiant Protector with Laser Sight, Gecko Grip, and Concealable holster  (this doesn't shoot far, does it?)
Cavalier Scout

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #1 on: <09-12-11/1444:51> »

Interesting concept.

You DO realize, though, that a combination of "prone to failure" with total lack of ability to keep his mouth shut (Braggart + Willpower 1) is...well..uh...

...let me ask you this:

Has he hired a band for his funeral, yet?  :o

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Joshb81959

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-12-11/1447:57> »
Haha.. I am very aware of that.  I was kind of hoping to keep him alive somehow.. hence all the edge.

Thats also kind of why I posted this here.  I've only played twice, and that was a while ago.  I'm completely unsure if this character would work at all.  I don't want him to die, but I do want some funny/serious interactions.. and I'd also like him to be somewhat useful in a fight.. even if he's just hiding behind a box spraying a gun over the top blindly.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #3 on: <09-12-11/1500:42> »
Oh, I'm not really commenting on the build itself, so much as the effects of WIL 1 combined with Poor Self-Control: Braggart.

This guy has less to fear from the opposition than from his own team. After their first run, while he's chatting up every chica at the local watering hole, regaling them with authentic tales of derring-do, his team mates are going to be very quickly coming up with a plan to put this dude in the dirt.

Kind of reminds me of Waingro from Heat, or Spence from Ronin.

I mean, it does come down to your particular table and GM, somewhat...most of the guys I play with would just leave his body in the gutter, though.

I, myself, have a self-destructive character with a couple of Poor Self-Control Qualities and a very high Notoriety, right out of the gate. My GM and I had a similar conversation to this one...I even have a back-up character in the wings, just in case it all catches up to him. So far, his team is too scared of him to try anything...but he really hasn't caused too many problems, because he has a sense of professionalism (Merc Creedo) and is very good at Composure Tests (Merc Creedo + High Willpower).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
« Last Edit: <09-12-11/1504:19> by JoeNapalm »

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-12-11/1736:02> »
With a Composure test of 7 dice (Charisma + Willpower), it isn't as bad as you make it out to be.  He'll make it more often than not since he only needs 2 hits.  And he has 8 edge floating around if it really mattered.  More Willpower is nice though.  I'll see if I could get a 3 Willpower for the extra Stun box myself.

On the other hand, I think this character has a case of "Being based off the Face in the Book"itis which one of the weaker Sample Characters (the commlink cyberware is a warning sign).  To be fair, he's much better than him. 

While your guy is slightly different from them (being a Mr. Lucky build), you should look at Umaro's Archetypes especially the Spook, the Negotiator, and the Generalist.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #5 on: <09-14-11/1122:59> »

Good catch...I totally forgot to factor CHA.

Actually, this guy's Composure is close to my Merc's - he's got WIL 5 + CHA 2 + 2 Merc Creedo...so far, it hasn't been an issue.

(Of course, I only have him make Composure checks when it impacts his Mercenary Creedo, anyway. I figure, if it doesn't interfere with the job, anyone who is foolish enough to annoy a heavily armed Hobgoblin with a warhawk has probably got it coming... :o)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist