NEWS

Making Ammo

• 14 Replies

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« on: <09-04-11/1552:38> »
Greeting all
as My search-fu is poor  I'm starting a new thread here
Can any one tell me (or explain) where to find the Thresholds for make your own Ammo
I have a player that wants to brew his own special ammo for a Heavy super War hawk he's moded (see below)
the ammo looks like this I know buy mechanic but he wants to make then in his shop.

APDS high powered Ammo -is a marriage of the High powered round with the APDS heavy bullet round
Game cost-basically i have to purchase both a High powered round and APDS and then sacrifice both to get one of these bullets.

Anti vehicular Ammo - is a marriage of the High powered round with the Anti vehicular round
Game cost-basically I have to purchase both a High powered round and Anti vehicular round and then sacrifice both to get one of these bullets

while he has suggested Threshold at  30 split between Chemistry, Demolitions and Armor skills requires at least shop level tools. does this sound right or have we both Missed something
 any thoughts, suggestions or complaints (yes I have big plans for a Glitch for this weapon)
The Gun in Question
Ruger Super Warhawk

Modifications:
High powered chambering-War (2)
personalized handgrip-Aresenal (1)
Smartlink integrated-Arsenal (1)
Ammo Selector-Arsenal (1)
Safety system biometric-Arsenal (1)
Total = 6

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <09-04-11/1628:30> »
I don't think there has been rules on making your own ammo yet.  With cased ammo, it's not that difficult (Apparently).  A lot of shooters (Particularly shotgunners from my understanding) reload their own brass.

With caseless, however, you're probably looking at needing extensive skill and equipment (Or extensively automated equipment.).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <09-04-11/1632:15> »
Shotgun hulls don't use much brass anymore... And any competitive shooter probably reloads their own ammo for consistency and accuracy within their own specific weapon. I for one can hit a 12" target at 200 yards with factory .303 british ammo out of my enfield, but my handloads do 1.25" at 300 yards.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #3 on: <09-04-11/1635:03> »
Yeah, well, they aren't making precision grade .303 for a long time now.  ;)  It's been a hunting round for too long.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-04-11/1645:59> »
Well it doesn't help that if your .303 was made anywhere near the first half of the last century it was made for battlefield expedience... which means "If it fits it goes boom" Tolerances? Who needs tolerances?!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <09-04-11/1656:30> »
If your .303 is war surplus, the powder and cap are probably starting to denature, which also doesn't help.  New .303 can be bought at Canadian Tire, however.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-04-11/2157:04> »
Ok Thanks That does help
New Question Strictly by the RAW can you Mix Ammo Types i.e. EX Eplosive+APDS Rounds ( X+1 Power and now y-5)or High Powered+AV ( x+2 Power and y- 5/6 AP )
Rounds to create More dangerous ammo (X = Weapons Power, Y= weapon AP)

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #7 on: <09-05-11/0429:31> »
I dont know about as written, but I as a GM wouldn't allow it, seeing how it (IMHO) is a bit of a threat to game balance by creating a "super round". If something like that could be done, why have different types of rounds at all? With a round like what you propose, it would be something that everyone would want to use to the exclusion of all other rounds. Depending on what weapon you are also using it for, the arguement could also be made: why use any other weapon?

Not to discourage, but there are reasons why  in every game there are inherant flaws and or defences built in to everything. That way, not one thing will dominate and every single player would want that one thing to the exclusion of everything else.

But that is just me. If your GM will allow it, hey, go for it. The purpose of this game is to have fun. I'm just giving my two cents becasue I have seen in other games things similar to this really mucking things up.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <09-05-11/1106:09> »
I'd actually suggest researching RL warheads (That is, bullet types.).  You'll find that most of those types of ammo take up the whole "Lead" of the bullet in order to function, and can't be combined easily.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <09-05-11/1246:44> »
Shadowwalker,

I also have a player whose character wants to build custom ammo.
I like the mixed threshold test. Were you guys thinking to split it evenly like when doing vehicle mods that require a secondary skill?

I also agree with Mystic that if you start to stack ammo types together you can end up with a super powered weapon that is unbalancing and would be all that anyone wants.

Which is one of the reasons I tell my players that I employ the rule of equilibrium. The harder you hit the harder your opponents will come at you. (I think I put it better at the time, but that is the gist of it.)
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <09-05-11/1251:17> »
"We get semi-automatics, they get automatics.  We get rifles, they get assault rifles.  We get shotguns, they get assault cannons.  We get drone support, they pull out a mage.  Escalation.  And that, dear citizens, is why I'm relying on Knight Errant for our policing needs, as no one can escalate like Ares Macrotechnology!"

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #11 on: <09-05-11/1258:20> »
Thor shot... the ultimate escalation. They're not hitting harder than us unless they start flingin' nukes. And even then, it's a 50/50 chance the damn thing will just fizzle on 'em.  8)
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <09-05-11/1307:49> »
Ok Thanks That does help
New Question Strictly by the RAW can you Mix Ammo Types i.e. EX Eplosive+APDS Rounds ( X+1 Power and now y-5)or High Powered+AV ( x+2 Power and y- 5/6 AP )
Rounds to create More dangerous ammo (X = Weapons Power, Y= weapon AP)
No and as others have said i would be very very careful in allowing it as a house rule.(Especially for High power ammo, as only being able to shoot high power ammo is the main think balancing the modification)
IE, i would most likely only allow combining of special material rounds + some other type, so silver hollow points,golden EX-EX rounds, Electrum High Power rounds etc.
Well except for that last one as i would first throw the high power mod and ammo out of the window and replase it with somethink like this:
Higher Caliber
Gun is modified to fire higher caliber bullets then it normally does, this gives the gun +1 to DV.
Ammo capacity is reduced by 25%
2 10 shop Weapon price + 2500¥ 10R

"An it harm none, do what you will"

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #13 on: <09-05-11/1357:45> »
"We get semi-automatics, they get automatics.  We get rifles, they get assault rifles.  We get shotguns, they get assault cannons.  We get drone support, they pull out a mage.  Escalation.  And that, dear citizens, is why I'm relying on Knight Errant for our policing needs, as no one can escalate like Ares Macrotechnology!"

Why did I hear Sean Connery from The Untouchables in my head when I read this?
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <09-05-11/1514:23> »
Why did I hear Sean Connery from The Untouchables in my head when I read this?
Damn, I knew my impersonation was good, but not *THAT* good!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11