NEWS

Can You Use Social Skills Through Phantasm?

• 14 Replies

Zen Shooter

• Newb
« on: <08-27-11/2032:39> »
The title of the thread says it all. A magician casts a Phantasm spell, which is a multi-sense illusion. The Phantasm could look like the average human, or it could look like a talking teapot. But shouldn't the caster be able to use their social skills through it? The Phantasm  can speak and gesture and make facial expressions.

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <08-27-11/2049:59> »
Unless its a talking tea pot... pretty sure they don't have faces

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <08-27-11/2218:37> »
Dude, I'm totally wasted on some old acid my Grandfather had...  Or I think I am...  The toaster is telling me to do things...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #3 on: <08-27-11/2256:02> »
Don't listen to the toaster.  Any minute now there'll be a food processor along with a better offer.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-27-11/2339:48> »
The title of the thread says it all. A magician casts a Phantasm spell, which is a multi-sense illusion. The Phantasm could look like the average human, or it could look like a talking teapot. But shouldn't the caster be able to use their social skills through it? The Phantasm  can speak and gesture and make facial expressions.

To answer seriously, I'd say yes, if the illusion is of  person and succeeded it makes sense.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <08-27-11/2347:23> »
Don't listen to the toaster.  Any minute now there'll be a food processor along with a better offer.
Aw man, you can't trust the food processor!

He's a NARC, man!!!

The Kaff machine, OTOH...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #6 on: <08-28-11/0028:52> »
I'd say you have to be at least humanoid (Capable of making expressions and such). 

And your opponents may get bonus dice against you, depending on what you look like.  I don't care how smooth the homless man is, I'm not giving him all my money.  And I don't trust talking furniture or tableware. :)

Bull

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <08-28-11/1011:53> »
You forgot to end that sentence, Bull:  "Unless I'm in the Matrix.  Then I trust them to be IC."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <08-28-11/1017:55> »
My two cents include you have to be wrapped in the phantasm, not projecting it elsewhere. You have to be able to pick up the subtle cues you just can't get at a distance.

Blond Goth Girl

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <08-28-11/1105:41> »
Totally with Kirk on this.  Plus you create a self-defeating NPC of a sorts.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #10 on: <08-28-11/1154:36> »
I'd say you have to be at least humanoid (Capable of making expressions and such). 

And your opponents may get bonus dice against you, depending on what you look like.  I don't care how smooth the homless man is, I'm not giving him all my money.  And I don't trust talking furniture or tableware. :)

Bull
What about singing furniture and tableware?
« Last Edit: <08-28-11/1203:07> by Red Canti »
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <08-28-11/1209:28> »
What about singing furniture and tableware?
You mean like this?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-29-11/1147:26> »
I'd allow it, though if he can;t see the person he in influencing there would be penalties, if the talking illusion is something odd like a chair there would be penalties as well.  I kind of assume part of the chairs conversation would be letting the person know you are the great wizard of oz and you are just speaking through this chair or whatever so the target knows they are actually talking with a person and not hearing things, or the victim of a malicious prank. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <08-29-11/1204:29> »
If I were GMing, I'd only allow it if the guy was tripping something fierce.

'Course, he might be distracted by the table lamp you're NOT affecting just as much...  I'd have additional RPing/Rolls required just to keep the guy's attention.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-29-11/1502:39> »
I am not sure why people are so against this.  People listen to and are persuaded just by the voice of a person all the time, it is called the radio and the telephone.  If the chair is talking to you, the person would think magic if the speaking were visible like it grew a mouth, or if it was just audio coming from the chair it could be a concealed speaker or whatever.

But if the person is persuasive they are persuasive, whether it is done in person or just through their voice.  As long as you are not trying to pass yourself off as a sentient teapot and there is a reasonable reason your voice is coming from that spot you should be able to use your social skills just fine.