NEWS

Drain, and Spell casting

• 51 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-30-11/2020:19> »
Then he'd just be Dresdened.  Gotcha.

Think I saw that word somewhere else....

and if you mean fucked sure... if the party actually tried that. <.< If he dies he's takin people out with him if he gets a chance. XD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <08-30-11/2301:32> »
The City of Dresden was firebombed.

Harry Dresden, Wizard, had a tendency of being in buildings.  That were on fire.  Usually his fault.

Then Harry Dresden was on his brother's boat, wondering why it was covered in blood, and why his shirt had a bullet-sized hole in it, heard some thunder, and then fell into Lake Michigan.

Then Harry Dresden saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

And heard a train whistle.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <08-31-11/0013:36> »
The City of Dresden was firebombed.

Harry Dresden, Wizard, had a tendency of being in buildings.  That were on fire.  Usually his fault.

Then Harry Dresden was on his brother's boat, wondering why it was covered in blood, and why his shirt had a bullet-sized hole in it, heard some thunder, and then fell into Lake Michigan.

Then Harry Dresden saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

And heard a train whistle.

o.O time for force 12 Physical barrier and to run!
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #18 on: <08-31-11/0056:30> »
Kinda hard to do when you're dead.  :P

The Dresden Files, a good series for Shadowrun.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <08-31-11/1651:21> »
Kinda hard to do when you're dead.  :P

The Dresden Files, a good series for Shadowrun.

I've seen a good portion back when I had enough money for cable TV. XD

I liked it quite a bit, seem to remember something of a family curse or something tho. <.<

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #20 on: <08-31-11/1750:51> »
*Cough*  We do NOT talk about the TV show.

I'm talking about the REAL Dresden Files.  They're books.  And Comics.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <08-31-11/1827:57> »
*Cough*  We do NOT talk about the TV show.

I'm talking about the REAL Dresden Files.  They're books.  And Comics.

>.> that bad eh? It didn't seem that bad too me, though ERAGON is a whole nother story... <.<

TheCommanders

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <09-03-11/0225:21> »
>.> that bad eh? It didn't seem that bad too me, though ERAGON is a whole nother story... <.<

Don't even get me started on that movie...

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-05-11/1337:45> »
I know we haven't been doing that, however if we did I would get very little amount of spells off in a game with a dice pool of 15 usually yeilding anywhere from 3-6 hits sometimes more. With 9 dice to resist (Will + Char) think i'd maybe get 2 spell off.
Only net hits used to boost the spells damage increase the drain, so your better of overcasting at high enough force to take out the target with only the one net hit needed for the spell to take effect or multicasting 2 lower force spells and again only using the 1 net hit needed per spell.
So for a normal 10 box stun tract you either
A) Force 9 stunbolt with only the needed 1 net hit used, damage 10S drain 9/2 - 1 + 1 = 4P(unless you have magic score of 9+)
or
B)Two force 5(same drain as force 4) stunbolt with only the needed 1 net hit used per spell, damage 12S(10S for force 4) drain 5/2 - 1 + 1 +1 = 3S per spell.

For you 9  dice drain pool the second one is the better option, unless the target has access to counterspelling.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <09-06-11/1556:45> »
I know we haven't been doing that, however if we did I would get very little amount of spells off in a game with a dice pool of 15 usually yeilding anywhere from 3-6 hits sometimes more. With 9 dice to resist (Will + Char) think i'd maybe get 2 spell off.
Only net hits used to boost the spells damage increase the drain, so your better of overcasting at high enough force to take out the target with only the one net hit needed for the spell to take effect or multicasting 2 lower force spells and again only using the 1 net hit needed per spell.
So for a normal 10 box stun tract you either
A) Force 9 stunbolt with only the needed 1 net hit used, damage 10S drain 9/2 - 1 + 1 = 4P(unless you have magic score of 9+)
or
B)Two force 5(same drain as force 4) stunbolt with only the needed 1 net hit used per spell, damage 12S(10S for force 4) drain 5/2 - 1 + 1 +1 = 3S per spell.

For you 9  dice drain pool the second one is the better option, unless the target has access to counterspelling.

oh so all the hits don't count into it gotcha.

Though don't they get a resistance test after you make at least one net hit reducing the damage further? Or is that for only Indirect combat spells?

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <09-06-11/1707:20> »
Though don't they get a resistance test after you make at least one net hit reducing the damage further? Or is that for only Indirect combat spells?
Yes it is, direct combat spell only have one test to see whether yout hit the target or not.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <09-06-11/1901:00> »
Yes it is, direct combat spell only have one test to see whether yout hit the target or not.

Think i'm going to like direct combat spells more now.... xD (not that i think I already didn't, though throwing a indirect is still fun.)

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #27 on: <09-19-11/0520:44> »
Also however this brings up a question about casting a F12 in a smaller area than 24 meter diameter. I've seen you can increase the range if you take off dice to make the area of effect bigger but can you make it smaller?
Spell radius is based on Magic Rating, not Force.

So if you have 6 magic, your Are-of-Effect is a 6m radius (12m Diameter), regardless of the spell being F2 or F12

We house-ruled that you can take 1 die from Spellcasting to shrink the radius accordingly, just the same as removing 1 die to increase the radius. I don't know of any RAW mechanic for it, but this works for us. Kinda' like pulling your punches....

Incorrect by RAW. Spell radius is Force meters. Also in RAW, you can use the increase radius rule to decrease it as well.

I DESPISE that crap about only rolling to resist once with Direct. I roll it twice. I also just increased all Drain for direct spells by two rather than add hits to Drain.
« Last Edit: <09-19-11/0530:47> by Mason, Stoneworker »

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <09-19-11/0821:37> »
increased all Drain for direct spells by two rather than add hits to Drain.
This is what i would do too and probably lower the indirect spell drain code by 1 or 2.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <09-19-11/1639:54> »
Also however this brings up a question about casting a F12 in a smaller area than 24 meter diameter. I've seen you can increase the range if you take off dice to make the area of effect bigger but can you make it smaller?
Spell radius is based on Magic Rating, not Force.

So if you have 6 magic, your Are-of-Effect is a 6m radius (12m Diameter), regardless of the spell being F2 or F12

We house-ruled that you can take 1 die from Spellcasting to shrink the radius accordingly, just the same as removing 1 die to increase the radius. I don't know of any RAW mechanic for it, but this works for us. Kinda' like pulling your punches....

Incorrect by RAW. Spell radius is Force meters. Also in RAW, you can use the increase radius rule to decrease it as well.

I DESPISE that crap about only rolling to resist once with Direct. I roll it twice. I also just increased all Drain for direct spells by two rather than add hits to Drain.

wow you doubled the drain on hits? that means if you take 2 net hits than you get a +4 drain on something like a lighting or fireball that's already +5 with half the force added.... o.O' you'd pretty much only be able to cast 1 spell. XD

and direct don't you roll to hit and then to resist? which means you do get 2 rolls? Unlike indirect?