NEWS

Stock Market

• 39 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #30 on: <08-25-11/1150:09> »
The best way Shadowrunners can build up a "Stock Portfolio" is to accept payment in Corporate Scrip, which has the shadow trade in such fluctuate due to the situation with the owning corp.  So, if you're sitting on a pile of Ares Scrip and the corp just released some new upgrades for the Citymaster-Series, won a major Desert Wars battle, and is in the Urban Brawl finals, it's time to use that to get Nuyen or a shiny new toy on the black market!

However, another advantage of getting Stock is Stockholder Reports.  Even the stuff disseminated to "Civilians" can have a lot of info that Shadowrunners might find useful.  It also adds more legitimacy to that high-end "Bulletproof" SIN you have as your "Get the frag out of Dodge" back-up.  After all, how likely is a criminal to be a shareholder in Ares, Winchester, Colt, Weapons World?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Trenchknife

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <08-31-11/2336:38> »
Frankly, you don't need to be a stockholder to get a look at a shareholder report.  It's Shadowrun folks.  How easy do you think it would be to find on in the matrix?  My opinion, a pretty simple task.
It's not the man with the gun that gets you.  It's the three bullets he fired that tore through you vital organs that's killed you.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #32 on: <08-31-11/2344:20> »
Yeah, but when you pirate them, you also can't pirate the dividends.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Trenchknife

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <09-01-11/0024:43> »
Yeah, but when you pirate them, you also can't pirate the dividends.  :P

H A C K I N G
It's not the man with the gun that gets you.  It's the three bullets he fired that tore through you vital organs that's killed you.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #34 on: <09-01-11/0034:24> »
Go ahead, hack a bank.

Let me know where to send the flowers.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Trenchknife

• Chummer
« Reply #35 on: <09-01-11/1414:51> »
You don't hack the bank.  You hack the stockholders 'email' account and make sure that you place a filter on their system to so you can have their directly deposited money...sent to your accounts.  Course taht's not easy either.  Just sayin' it's possible....just sayin'.   :P

Weldûn

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <09-02-11/0926:55> »
Personally, my approach would be to use elements of the rules.
Quote from: Pg 262, SR4
Buying a Lifestyle
A character can permanently buy a given lifestyle by making a payment equal to 100 months' upkeep. For example, ten million nuyen buys a permanent life of luxury. This sum represents investments, trust funds, and so on that can take care of payments.
So, basically you can create investment portfolio's that will give a return of 1% per month, with relative ease. That's a return of 12% per annum, which is in keeping with long-term investments. And, my preference would be to leave it at that. Why? Because this is SHADOWRUN, a game about maneuvering through the dark and grimy shadows of corporate/international politics. It's a game of professional criminals with hearts of tarnished silver.  :P That being said...
There could be some fun plot hooks in letting the PC play an investor.
...fair point.

Still, if you want extra detail, I'd ignore the whole 2d6x10% sell off deal and move to Fencing Gear. Keep the base of 30% and just alter the extended test to (10, 1 month). And, just like fencing gear, a glitch attracts attention from unwanted parties, providing some of the plot hooks involved. Hell, if you want just a little more detail, such as the PC actually takes runs to try and tip stock prices a little, award them bonus dice on the roll equal to the amount of karma awarded for the adventure.

Anyway, that's my ¥2.
« Last Edit: <09-02-11/1047:48> by Weldûn »
Cleverly disguised as an adult.

Which I think is sort of like arguing that a partial erection should get all the benefits of an erection.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #37 on: <09-02-11/0957:14> »
Tarnished silver hearts?  Do you know what silver goes for on the open market?  Forget organlegging, silver heart harvesting would pay for bullets, soyza, and beer!!!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Weldûn

• Chummer
« Reply #38 on: <09-02-11/1112:00> »
Tarnished silver hearts?  Do you know what silver goes for on the open market?  Forget organlegging, silver heart harvesting would pay for bullets, soyza, and beer!!!
Hmm, I know I'm getting side-tracked here but let's do the math.
The average human heart weighs 10-12 ounces (approximately 283.5-340.2 grams) for males and 8-10 ounces (approximately 226.8-283.5 grams) for females. Human flesh has a specific gravity of 1.4 while silver has a specific gravity of aproximately 10.5 (10.49, actually, so close enough). Assuming the upper end female/lower end male heart, that gives us approximately 2,126 grams of silver. Assuming that this counts as a raw reagent, a single "unit" of raw metal is 10 KILOGRAMS (Okay, I had to go back to Grimoire for that one, but still). So, it's only about ¥65 per heart. As a side note, heart of Gold goes for about ¥3,900, proving that having a strong moral center is only worth so much in the sixth world. For those who are curious, using Refined Reagents as a guide, gold goes for about ¥115 an ounce.

Now, stop playing the pedant (cue hypocrisy alert) and allow me a little artistic license, will you please?  :P
« Last Edit: <09-02-11/1114:16> by Weldûn »
Cleverly disguised as an adult.

Which I think is sort of like arguing that a partial erection should get all the benefits of an erection.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #39 on: <09-02-11/1120:16> »
I need to see your artistic license and registration, as well as your union card.  :P

Which brings us back to the business of doing business.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11