NEWS

sustaining focus duration question

• 8 Replies

gourry187

• Newb
« on: <08-09-11/1007:18> »
since using a sustaining focus relieves the mage of having to concentrate, is there a duration as to how long the spell can be sustained.  Can a mage who casts something such as an armor spell through the focus basically leave it on indefinetely?

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #1 on: <08-09-11/1018:34> »

Mana Barriers, other Mages, Spirits...several things can dispel the Sustained Spell.

But, barring something disrupting the spell...it lasts indefinitely.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-09-11/1026:11> »
You can add that you don't always want to be seen sustaining an armor and improved reflexes spells. It may be misinterpreted ;)
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #3 on: <08-09-11/1230:08> »

Good point. Armor has a visible glow, per the descriptive text.

Raises some interesting questions...I'm fairly new to the Mage business, myself (usually play ninjas and gun thugs).

Is it possible to identify what spell is being sustained via Assensing?

If my home has a Lodge, does that dispel my Sustaining Focus when I pass inside?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-09-11/1318:00> »
You can go through your own barriers without any problems and since your foci are attuned to yourself, they should pass as well.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

EFGearman

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-09-11/1348:00> »
You can go through your own barriers without any problems and since your foci are attuned to yourself, they should pass as well.

Barring beating down the barrier first.

If subtlety isn't an option, that generally leaves brute force.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #6 on: <08-09-11/1404:44> »

If subtlety isn't an option, that generally leaves brute force.

Or, in the case of our current team:

Subtlety is optional.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Artighur

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <08-09-11/1419:29> »
Subtlety is when they can't hear your footsteps over the Assault Canon noise.

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <08-09-11/2013:23> »

Mana Barriers, other Mages, Spirits...several things can dispel the Sustained Spell.

But, barring something disrupting the spell...it lasts indefinitely.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Keep in mind, active spells stick out like a sore thumb when viewed from astral.  If you are trying to get by any kind of awakened security without starting a fight you need to run with spells off.

On the other hand, if its a straigt up combat run, or you are headed into the barrens, don't think you will have magical opposition, or for whatever reason don't give a devil rat's pointy head what your astral signature looks like you can buff up at base and be good to go.  Also, you spirits last until sunset/sunrise I beleive, so there is also no reason not to crank up that fire elemental and put it "on standby" in the astral before heading out.  Might as well summon at your leisure instead of when the bullets are flying.