NEWS

Looking for backstory and stats critique

• 13 Replies

Sark

• Newb
« on: <08-10-11/1826:27> »
This is one of the first characters I've come up with, and I'm eager to hear some opinions on both the backstory (which I'm pretty confident in) and the stats (with which I have no idea what I'm doing.

So, stats first:

Reiko Kuroda (Human)

Attributes

Body: 2
Agility: 2
Reaction: 3
Strength: 2
Charisma: 5
Intuition: 5
Logic: 4
Willpower: 5

Edge: 4
Initiative: 8
Essence: 6

Active Skills

Computer : 2
Data Search : 2
Hardware : 2
Software : 2
Con : 3
Dodge : 2
Etiquette : 5
Pilot Ground Craft (Wheeled) : 2
Intimidation : 3
Negotiation : 5
Perception : 4
Pistols : 2

Knowledge Skills

Japanese : N
English : 3
Mandarin : 3
Hindi : 1
French : 2
Literature : 2
History : 2
Biology : 2
Chemistry : 2
Business : 2
Wines : 4
Fine Cuisine : 3
Yakuza : 3
Japanese politics : 2
Area Knowledge : 1
Gangs : 1
Japanese Corps : 2
Club Circuit : 3
Club Music : 2
Mercenary Hangouts : 1
World Religions : 1
Art : 4
Liqour : 1
Finances : 1
Fine Restaurants : 2

Positive Qualities

College Education
Linguist

Negative Qualities

Addiction, mild (alcohol
Dependent 2 (daughter, age five)
Day Job 1 (part time OL)
Distinctive Style 2
Gremlins 1

Weapons

Yamaha Sakura Fubuki
Survival Knife
Silencer
Hidden Gun Arm Slide
Yamaha Pulsar*
Taser Dart (10 shots)*

Armors

Clothing (Chic)
Actioneer Businnes Clothes
Clothing (Regular)
Lined Coat
Moonsilver Line Shawl/Scarf/Stole
Moonsilver Line Evening Gown
Urban Explorer Jumpsuit
Bike Racing Armor
Bike Racing Helmet
Armor Vest*

Vehicles

Suzuki Mirage (Racing Bike)

Commlink, Etc.

Commlink : Transys Avalon
Analyze (Rating 2)
Browse (Rating 3)
Edit (Rating 2)
White Noise Generator (Rating 6)
Empathy Sensor Software (Rating 3)
Gait Analysis Sensor Software (Rating 1)
Jammer, Area (Rating 4)

Equipment

Professional Camera
Super-Telephoto Lens
2x Fake Sin (Rating 4)
Certified Credstick (Ebony)
Goggles
+Vision Magnification
+Image Link
Earbud
+ Select Sound Filter (Rating 3)
+ Spatial Recognizer
Suzuki Mirage (Racing Bike)
Backpack
Keycard Copier (Rating 3)
Camouflage Net
Water Purification Tablets (10 pack)
2x Makeup Compact Chemical Cosmetics
2x C-Squared (Rating 6)
2x Warp (Toxin)
2x Neuro-Stun (Toxin)
2x KE IV (Toxin) (10 doses)
False-bottomed Attache' Case
2x Hollowed Book
Fake License (Rating 4)
Fake License (Rating 4)
Low
Binocular

Contacts

Mid-level Yakuza member (L:3 C:3) (her cousin)
Club owner (L:1 C:2)
Fixer (L:2 C:4)
Mr. Johnson (L:2 C:2)

*These stay in the house, and the kid knows how to use them in case of emergencies.

Backstory

Reiko is the daughter of a high ranking Yakuza member and his trophy wife, both of whom have very traditional values.  They cut her off when she became pregnant about six years ago.  Her daughter, Kyoko, is her primary concern, but she still craves excitement and action.  As the funds her parents left her with have run out, she's gotten into shadowrunning to pay the bills, including the rather steep ones for private school.  She has a thorough education and is a skilled photographer.  It was originally thought that she would be a wife and lieutenant to a Yakuza member of her father's choosing.

I'm a little worried about pulling off the daughter thing, what with being a total newbie, but I like it from a story perspective.  Also, my plan is that going into the campaign, only the GM will know about Reiko's past and lingering connections with the Yakuza.
« Last Edit: <08-10-11/1828:35> by Sark »

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-10-11/1859:39> »
The backstory is different, but I like it.

The core problem with your stats is that you are an unaugmented mundane, which is not really a supported archetype. You can do it, but it's the equivalent of playing Shadowrun on hard mode.

Obviously, if what you really really want to play is an unaugmented mundane, you shouldn't let that stop you, but the book doesn't really come out and tell you this so I want to check that you really do want to do it first. You should also probably explain why she has no augmentations if you are doing this. Depending on what exactly you were trying to do, you could pull it off as an Awakened, Augmented Awakened, Augmented, or Emerged character.

Note I can understand you not wanting visible 'ware like Dermal Plating or Obvious Cyberlimbs or whatnot; that's totally doable.

The next question you should answer is what you want to do. I think you want to be a face, but other than that you seem to have bits and pieces of skill sets but not enough to actually be good at any of them; ie, you have some B&E skills (but are missing key parts to actually do B&E), some computer skills (but aren't a hacker), and just enough combat skills to shoot yourself in the foot.

I'll be back with more advice once I hear what you are going for.

Sark

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-10-11/1918:36> »
I was thinking face primarily (I based her on the sample from the core book initially), and then I really wasn't sure what to do, so I added knowledge skills that seemed appropriate to the character.  In retrospect, that was not exactly my best idea ever. :P

I didn't really have it in mind, but I think an Awakened character would be useful to the party I'm going to be playing with. I'd say that combat would be a useful secondary focus as well.

Thanks for taking the time to help this newbie out.

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-10-11/2014:19> »
Second to what Umaro said.  Chosing to forgo both magic and augmentation really doesn't offer anything that is worth the loss of possible bonuses.  If you are primarily the face then there are many ways on both the machine and magic side of the the isle to make you much better at your job.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-10-11/2136:10> »
The sample face from the book is quite terrible and you should steer as clear from that as possible.

Okay, so face primary, combat secondary, awakened. You do want a little bit of 'ware for this, but you don't need a lot and it doesn't need to be anything obvious, but forgoing Tailored Pheremones is a bad move.

First up: cutting stuff.

You don't need Logic 4. I'll understand you don't want to be a dummy, but high Logic is just not worth it for 90% of characters, and you can get bonuses to your logic-linked skills much cheaper than you can get Logic. I would suggest 2-3 Logic.

Drop the halfway computer skills.

Buying lots of Knowledge skills (you appear to have spent a bunch of BP on them) isn't worth it. You can get bonuses to your knowledge skills that also help other stuff more cheaply. I would pare it down to the amount of freebies you get. I'll get back to it in a minute, but don't buy any languages - you can get them for free.

A lot of your armor is stuff you can't wear but your Body will be changing, and we'll get back to that.

Consolidate your Social skills into Influence 4 plus however much Intimidate you want. You can drop Pilot. Perception 4 is nice, but not vital, you can cut it to 1 if you start scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I would drop your Strength to 1; it's not helping you in any way and I can see someone with her background not being very strong.

Stuff you want:
2 Body is asking to get killed. I would want 3 at the minimum, and more would be nice.

You want to be an Adept. Get yourself that and Magic 5, although you will then lose a point to Augmentation.

Powers you should get: Kinesics 3, Commanding Voice, Improved Reflexes I, Linguistics (this is what lets you learn languages free, this + Linguist quality = all languages you care about at 3) some Improved Ability for your Social skills.

'Ware: get yourself Tailored Pheremones 3. From here you have a few options; I would go with Muscle Toner 2 to shore up your combat skills, but you could go with PuSHeD + Mnemonic Enhancers for better knowledge skills.

Skills: Raise your Pistols skill. I would honestly go with a 6 here; it's cheaper at chargen then with Karma.

I would want Disguise (maybe the whole stealth group), and Dodge 4 rather than Dodge 2, but it may not be doable.

The facing is obvious; this will leave you with 15 dice on social skills. The combat is either Commanding Voice or Pistols; CV is very powerful but will sometimes just not work, so you can't rely on it exclusively.

I'ma QQ about your gear on your next iteration, since what you want precisely depends on stuff like how much Body you end up with.

Sark

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-10-11/2204:51> »
Okay, here's what I've got now.

Attributes

Body: 4
Agility: 2
Reaction: 3
Strength: 1
Charisma: 5
Intuition: 5
Logic: 3
Willpower: 5

Edge: 4
Magic: 5 (4)
Initiative: 8
Essence: 5

Active Skills

Con : 4
Etiquette : 4
Leadership : 4
Negotiation : 4
Dodge : 3
Intimidation : 3
Perception : 4
Pistols : 6
Disguise : 2

Knowledge Skills

Japanese : N
Literature : 2
History : 2
Wines : 3
Fine Cuisine : 2
Yakuza : 3
Japanese politics : 1
Gangs : 1
Japanese Corps : 2
Mercenary Hangouts : 1
World Religions : 1
Art : 3

Positive Qualities

College Education
Linguist

Negative Qualities

Addiction, mild
Dependent 2
Day Job 1
Distinctive Style 2
Gremlins 1

Biowares

Tailored Pheromones 3
Muscle Toner 2

Powers

Kinesics (level 3)
Commanding Voice
Improved Reflexes (level 1)
Linguistics
Improved Ability : Other Skill (Level 1) - Leadership
Improved Ability : Other Skill (Level 1) - Negotiation
Improved Ability : Other Skill (Level 1) - Etiquette
Improved Ability : Combat Skill (Level 1) - Dodge

Contacts remain the same. 16 BP left.

How's that?

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-11-11/0622:51> »
I think your adept powers don't add up to 4.

Kinesics 3 is 1.5, Improved Reflexes 1 is 1.5, CV is .25, Linguistics is .25. Non-combat Improved abilities are .25 each, combat ones are .5, so I have you at 4.75. I think you might have gotten Improved Reflexes (the IP booster) mixed up with Improved Physical Ability. I would cut Improved Ability: Dodge and Etiquette. Improved Ability for Combat skills is overpriced and not worth it unless you are hyperspecializing in combat.

I think you look fine. You hypothetically, now that I think about it, have a problem in that you need to spend 6 hours at the start of the game to learn English which might be a nuisance, but I expect most GMs will be OK with you having Linguistic'd it already.

Is the 16 bp before buying any gear, or after buying the same gear as before?

Sark

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-11-11/0648:18> »
Before buying gear.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-11-11/1036:12> »
Okay, so gear. I'm going to hit the highlights: Commlink, armor, and weapons; you seem to have widgets figured out and those are kind of subjective anyways.

Armor: You should own a suit of Form-Fitting Body Armor (Arsenal) to wear under your other armor. It is really good, because it is 6/2 armor that counts as 3/1 for encumbrance, stacks with everything else, and is legal and discrete.

On top of that, you want another 5/7 of armor. I'm going to recommend a Synergist Business Line suit jacket and skirt (4/3, and also provides -2 concealability to things you hide in it, by which I mean guns), and SecureTech PPP Systems vitals protector, forearm guards, and shin guards (also worn under your clothes), but you can find other ways to get the same armor depending on your taste in fashion and how much time you want to spend playing Pretty Princess Shadowrun Dressup. The end goal should be to wear armor that is fashionable-looking but also bulletproof. You can tack on armor mods like Nonconductivity and Chemical Protection if you have the spare nuyen.

Weapons:

Ruger Thunderbolt (750) with Internal Smartgun System Option (400), Personalized Grip (100), Chameleon Coating (1000), Underbarrel Weight (25), Powered Folding Stock (100) [load with Ex-Ex]

Yamaha Pulsar (150), Underbarrel Weight (25)

Morissey Elan (450) with Internal Smartgun System (450), Underbarrel Weight (25), Chameleon Coating (1000)

Yamaha Sakura Fubuki (2000) with External Smartgun System (400), Chameleon Coating (1000), Silencer (200) [load with Stick-n-Shock]

You don't need to start with all of these guns, but I recommend starting with the Ruger and the Yamaha Pulsar at least. The Ruger does solid lethal damage and is good for killing people and destroying drones. The Yamaha Pulsar is legal and a good taser. The Morissey Elan is really easy to hide and can get past MAD scanners. The YSF is easier to hide than the ruger, just as good when using Stick-n-Shock, and holds more ammo; it isn't as good for doing lethal damage, though.

Commlinks: Here's a good package that will get you basic matrix functionality at a reasonable price.

MetaLink with Vector Xim (300)
      Runs in Public Mode broadcasting fake SIN, not used for shadowrunning
Sony Emperor (700) with Novatech Navi (1500)
   Upgrade Response to 4 (2000)
System 4, Response 4, Firewall 3, Signal 3
Optimization: Browse (500)
Powersuite (Analyze 3, Browse 4, Command 2, Edit 4, Purge 4, Scan 2) (1240)
Encrypt 1 (100)
Agent, Pilot Rating 4 (10500)
      Runs in Hidden Mode, used for shadowrunning persona and running gear. The agent normally runs Analyze
to watch for any intrusion and will sound an alert if it finds anyone.

You can also pick up nifty stuff like gait analysis software, facial recognition software, etc. If your GM allows empathy software, you should start with Rating 5 Empathy software with the Optimization 2 program option for +5 to all social skills, and go hunting for Rating 6 Optimization 3 empathy software ASAP. It's commonly houseruled away, because it's super cheap and there's no reason for everyone not to run it, so check with your GM.

If you have BP left over, I would try to get your rating 2-3 skills up to 4. If not, I would shuffle them so they start at either 1 or 4 and then buy stuff with karma. The reason for this is because of the way karma advancement works: rating 1 or 2 is 4 BP or 4 karma. Rating 3 is 4 BP or 6 karma. Rating 4 is 4 BP or 8 karma. So rather than start with, say, 3 skills at 3 and buy them all to 4 for 24 karma, you can start with 2 skills at 4 and one skill at 1, and buy it up to 4 for only 18 karma.

The Infiltration skill and the Palming skill are things you might find you want after gameplay starts, depending on your group and GM's style. You can probably afford to buy them with Karma, though. On which note, you should spend your first chunks of karma buying the specializations Perception (Visual) and Pistols (Semi-Automatics). If you do get Infiltration, I recommend the Urban specialization.

Sark

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <08-11-11/1114:09> »
Thanks again for helping me out!  I think I can handle it from here.

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <08-11-11/1403:06> »
I'd suggest dropping Body to 3 and upping either of Reaction or Agility. Body 3 still nets you the extra health level, Reaction and Agility are both as important in combat and are used for more skills outside too. That, or finding the points to up Body to 5 to get another health level. Although if you did that, I think your background should definitley mention what made her so nails as to have Body and Will 5. Similarly, the background should mention how she got Pistols 6 imo.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-12-11/1034:04> »
This looks like a cool and interesting character.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Sark

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <08-12-11/1618:04> »
This looks like a cool and interesting character.

Thanks.

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #13 on: <08-13-11/0331:43> »
I had a quick question about the characters backstory.  She is of bloodline but not direct, but she is a great get as a wife for someone moving up in the industry of her dad, like one of his Lt.s.  So if her lineage is not a terribly unknown secret I would think she would have a array of possible neg and pos qualities that were possible to accent that in creation more than boozer with distinct style at college which makes her sound more like she would be a danger more to her dads plastic than the shadows.  She could have Enemy - from family competitors or the legitimate bloodline who must love her,  Rival - from the legitimate bloodline family, Records on File - Whoever the OCB is where her family runs what it runs probably has had eyes on her enough to have at least a bio and maybe more, or  Erased - Depending on how much Daddy likes his little girl and how much clout he has,  Sensi - if she is learning magic she is gonna get a good Miagi from her dad, they just don't chance things like that, First Impression - can reflect her mom was hot and there is something about her too, Good Rep - She may have a knack or just no one talks that way about the apple of daddys eye, Mysterious Cyberware -  Guys like her dad take out insurance and if she is putting in some other stuff he can make her doc an offer he cannot refuse on one more little item for him,  Black Market - How in the world can you live at the top of the food chain in organized crime and deprive yourself of this, Evil Twin - For some reason there is a untrue horrible rep about you - maybe from the bloodliners who just freaking hate you - and they just love to run you down like they are your own National Inquirer.  Could be a good reason to run the Shadows and fight back a bit, and lastly Borrowed Time - Daddy is sick and will only live so long.  Once he dies there will be a cleaning of houses and PC will lose her breathing air privledges.  So she has until Daddy kicks off to buy this off and it also a another good reason she is out running.

You have a really nice backstory and I just thought you may want to consider some of the these to reflect it.  Have fun with that character.
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

Register