• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <07-09-11/1146:33> »
Ouch.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <07-11-11/1009:25> »
Once they made game play time (an RL purchasable commodity) into a tradeable game commodity, the end began.  As soon as I can buy something for 15 dollars that I can sell in game for a few hundred million ISK, I was essentially handed the option of putting my Orca on my AmEx.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <07-11-11/1102:21> »
Once they made game play time (an RL purchasable commodity) into a tradeable game commodity, the end began.  As soon as I can buy something for 15 dollars that I can sell in game for a few hundred million ISK, I was essentially handed the option of putting my Orca on my AmEx.
To a large degree yes, but there was still the illusion of it not being buying items for real world cash, plus the limited availibility of items based on the market. However the internal memo was putting a lie to the illusion and jumping over the availibility factor as well. Thus the outcry and the emergency flying of CSM members to smooth the ruffled feathers.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #18 on: <07-11-11/2141:40> »
Oh no!  The Emperor has no clothes!

I think Eve players were just delusional in the first place.

Bull

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #19 on: <07-12-11/1828:26> »
i miss my OWoD game, but it was a mixed VTM, WTA, Hunter game that i played like it was live action SR with my micro werewolf pack as runners.....hey the story teller thought it was a good idea considering we were in a Sabbat held city
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Totes

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <08-19-11/2207:55> »
I've played a lot of oWoD Werewolf, and a bit of Vampire, but thats about it.

I have some of the nWoD stuff and a lot of the 2nd Ed Exalted stuff, but I've never managed to play it due to a) lack of interest from local groups and b) Playing a silly amount of SR  ;D

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #21 on: <08-21-11/1600:29> »
OWoD is great fun. Had some epic mixed games. I personally like MtA the best.

NWoD is interesting I haven't actually gotten to play it yet.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

BSOD

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <08-25-11/1507:50> »
I've played some nWoD changeling and the various nWoD games are quite popular where I play. On the whole they seem to be really good.

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <11-15-11/1225:11> »
oWoD played up the angst factor considerably...to the point of profound irritation and distraction. The Whole Harano thing for the Werewolves was laughable on the face of it. Hell Wraith: The Oblivion hada stat called Angst fer crying out loud.

The only game I liked out of the Bunch was Mage...and with nWod....pretty much the same
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #24 on: <11-15-11/1921:23> »
oWoD played up the angst factor considerably...to the point of profound irritation and distraction. The Whole Harano thing for the Werewolves was laughable on the face of it. Hell Wraith: The Oblivion hada stat called Angst fer crying out loud.

The only game I liked out of the Bunch was Mage...and with nWod....pretty much the same

Actually, if you did Vampire: The Masquerade you weren't at all limited to angsty-emo types. Especially not if you played Brujah to type... and double-especially if you played a Sabbat campaign and picked Brujah Antitribu.

There's nothing quite like riding on a motorcycle behind a Tzimisce with an H.R. Geiger fetish, zipping up and down the street outside a Camarilla hideout while decapitating random civilians with your dual-wielded Body Armory bastard swords, just as a way to draw the Cammies inside out so you can detonate the white-phosphorous IEDs you planted outside the entrance.

Ahhh... good times. Good times.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #25 on: <11-17-11/0001:14> »
Actually, if you did Vampire: The Masquerade you weren't at all limited to angsty-emo types.

No, you weren't, but the game tended to attract those types in droves.

Especially the LARPs. Oh god. the LARPs.

The only one I willingly attended was one that A) friends were running so I knew it would be at least well run and B) was a Dark Ages setting so none of this Masquerade crap.

A whole bunch of the angsty emo types showed up for that game too, but when they tried to play in their usual ways with the typical mincing subtle insults, one got his head immediately lopped off by a greatsword. Followed by another's throat getting ripped out and a third being thrown out a window. All by one NPC. The look on their faces was priceless.

-k

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <11-17-11/0056:26> »
Actually, if you did Vampire: The Masquerade you weren't at all limited to angsty-emo types.

No, you weren't, but the game tended to attract those types in droves.

Especially the LARPs. Oh god. the LARPs.

The only one I willingly attended was one that A) friends were running so I knew it would be at least well run and B) was a Dark Ages setting so none of this Masquerade crap.

A whole bunch of the angsty emo types showed up for that game too, but when they tried to play in their usual ways with the typical mincing subtle insults, one got his head immediately lopped off by a greatsword. Followed by another's throat getting ripped out and a third being thrown out a window. All by one NPC. The look on their faces was priceless.

True.

*shudder*

That's why I eventually stopped playing. Still, there were a few good times along the way so I regret nothing. Well, except maybe not following through on some of my more... creative... threats, but as the Evil Overlord List says, shooting is good enough for my enemies.

Sounds like we had much the same thing in mind with our characters. That's why I stuck to Brujah, Tzimisce, Lasombra, and the occasional heavily psychotic Malkavian. My favorite character (same one that involved in the IED story) actually threw one of the other PCs into a bonfire because the guy (Tremere Anti, IIRC) was playing like it was a Cammie game and wouldn't stop jibing about how much better he was than my filthy, crude, uneducated Brujah. I got bonus XP for it.
« Last Edit: <11-17-11/0103:00> by JustADude »
― Albert Einstein

― Me

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <11-17-11/0954:37> »
Again: Why I went in for Mage: The Ascension. Virtual Adept with all the classic cyberpunk traits. The more Classic Ann Rice Emo types had no clue how to deal with me
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <11-17-11/1040:32> »
Sounds like we had much the same thing in mind with our characters. That's why I stuck to Brujah, Tzimisce, Lasombra, and the occasional heavily psychotic Malkavian. My favorite character (same one that involved in the IED story) actually threw one of the other PCs into a bonfire because the guy (Tremere Anti, IIRC) was playing like it was a Cammie game and wouldn't stop jibing about how much better he was than my filthy, crude, uneducated Brujah. I got bonus XP for it.

Gangrels were great for playing against the "velvet wearing emo vamp" stereotype too.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <11-17-11/1539:42> »
Again: Why I went in for Mage: The Ascension. Virtual Adept with all the classic cyberpunk traits. The more Classic Ann Rice Emo types had no clue how to deal with me

And most Mages don't, either. I was walking around in the late 90s with a VA with an artificial arm with a Trinary Computer built into it and a 'Virtual Display' that had spells stored as macro icons.

If I were doing it today, I'd say it was a Trinary version of Android and the spells were either Apps or Widgets.

Gangrels were great for playing against the "velvet wearing emo vamp" stereotype too.

Ah, yes, forgot about the Gangrel.  ;D
― Albert Einstein

― Me