NEWS

Inspiration

• 28 Replies

Crash_00

« Reply #15 on: <06-26-11/2019:46> »
As far as runs, there are also dozens of movies out there with good run inspiration depending on which style of play you lean toward.

Current SR doesn't really feel Cyberpunk so much as just Cyberish Future (since true cyberware and wired connection is quickly becoming outdated). The real trick to it is getting the setting right and that depends largely on just how dystopian you want your world to feel. I suggest Fahrenheit 451 and Nineteen Eighty-Four for more insight into the dystopian feel if that's what you're looking for.

I think my favorite over type style inspiration movie is still The Big Hit. If you prefer you game to have a little more bad action movie camp to it I definitely suggest it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <06-26-11/2041:56> »
Big Brother is watching.  Fortunately so is all of *HIS* brothers, and they don't like each other and don't talk to each other any more.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <06-26-11/2202:37> »
There is a dystopian anthology you might want to consider. It has some Vonnegut, Gaiman, Bradbury, etc.

Cass100199

• Chummer
  • Truth hurts only if you're a dumba**.
« Reply #18 on: <06-26-11/2342:28> »
Urban fantasy

AKA: romance novels with werewolves and vampires  ;)

I used to get so mad when I'd pick up one of these and it sounds good, then get into it and realize I'm reading a romance novel. I gave up on the whole genre. I just have bad luck picking them up.

Not knocking the genre or people who read it, like I said, my luck is horrible. lol
« Last Edit: <06-26-11/2349:21> by Cass100199 »
You can't tell me what toys I can play with.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #19 on: <06-27-11/0008:22> »
Anita Blake, Vampire Humper?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Talmor

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <06-27-11/0956:38> »
Anita Blake, Vampire Humper?

Yeah, the first book or two were ok--sure, they had romance and eroticism in them, but they kept pretty straight to the "supernatural investigator" angle.  Later books became increasingly about the freaky sex life of sex life of Anita, who ended up being a werepanther  I believe, and going into heat, where her lust was unsated despite having multiple lovers--including a werewolf, werepanther, and vampire--and often at the same time.

Not exactly what I want to run for Shadowrun...

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #21 on: <07-02-11/0323:17> »
I have to say I mostly look for good character ideas from stories, movies, and books.  What if Johnny Knoxville and his JackA$$ crew ran the shadows of Redmond.  Pulling off outrageous capers trying to top themselves and maybe posting it to the shadow boards.  What would happen if the PC's had to square up with them, could they survive a prank war?  Stuck in a rut on villians?  Break out Ming the Merciless,  the Fatman from Maltese Falcon, Grand Admiral Thrawn, Scaramanga the man with the golden gun, or Jesse James.  Good characters make good stories.  I have been using the world from that Tom Cruise future crime movie with some obvious modifications for the setting pieces.  The characters are what give it life and finding them is the funnest part.
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-02-11/0429:34> »
Urban fantasy

I used to get so mad when I'd pick up one of these and it sounds good, then get into it and realize I'm reading a romance novel. I gave up on the whole genre. I just have bad luck picking them up.

Not knocking the genre or people who read it, like I said, my luck is horrible. lol
Even Charlie Huston? I wouldn't expect that from him, but then as much as I LOVE his other work I hate vampires so much I only got halfway through his first vampire P. I. book.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <07-02-11/1348:21> »
Urban fantasy
You're doing Glen Cook and Jim Butcher a disservice.  :P

The Garrett Files is very noir, in the fantasy past!

The Dresden Files started out noir, and got more awesome from there.  And Harry doesn't get laid enough for it to be a romance novel.  His brother, on the other hand...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Cass100199

• Chummer
  • Truth hurts only if you're a dumba**.
« Reply #24 on: <07-02-11/2015:25> »
Like I said, not knocking the genre. Just seems every book I try out tends to end up with some vampire/mage/werewolf/fairy hunter type chick sandwiched between several paranormal species and a midget, who may or may not be undead/magical/paranormal.

I've looked at the Jim Butcher books, but they've never really piqued my interest. I like noir, but every [suedo-noir fanatsy/ sci fi I've picked just hasn't done it for me.
You can't tell me what toys I can play with.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #25 on: <07-02-11/2036:42> »
Jeff-Somers - The Electric Chruch is a good read

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <07-02-11/2143:05> »
Have you read Huston's Sleepless? It's pretty old school cyberpunk noir.

Coldbringer

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <07-03-11/1424:17> »
I can't add much to the literary advice, but I will add some video ideas.  The old Max Headroom TV series is an excellent source of inspiration/ideas and it still holds up today.  The recent movie Repo Men is also a good choice for ideas and inspiration, it gave me the Jones to run Shadowrun again, a;so Strange Days is a good choice even if it feels dated in places(just ignore what year the movie is set in).
http://veggeek.wordpress.com
Gaming, pop culture and what not.

Illume

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <07-03-11/1521:24> »
Jeff-Somers - The Electric Chruch is a good read
Yesssss. The whole series had me thinking of shadowrun when I was reading it.