NEWS

Is making money really that important?

• 40 Replies

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #15 on: <06-30-11/2205:44> »
My advice would be: They took those flaws for a reason. And you can't really turn them into something they didn't have in mind.
Errr yes, yes you can. If someone takes some NQ for the roleplaying aspects, and will pro-actively utilise them in-game, all good.

But it really burns me up when people take 'manageable' flaws just for the BP, and those PC's suddently find their flaws aren't as manageable as they thought they were
- PC: But my Enemy is on the other side of the world and has no contacts here! And I'm Erased!
- GM: Enemies have long memories chummer, and they scraped together the cash for a PI to find you, a Sub-orbital to get here and a crew to hunt you down. Now, about your upcoming mission....

- PCBut, I'm only allergic to Fresh Amazonian orchids!
- GM:Well, guess what the Johnson wants you to acquire...from a florist...

- PC: But I took Day-Job so I'd have a steady income!
- GM: Yeah, but the Stuffer Shack burned down on your shift and you've been fired. Choose from Bad Reputation, Hung out to Dry, Criminal Sin etc etc

This is the same as Initiates choosing the Astral Quest ordeal, and then deciding what NQ they get... falls under my GM Approval category... and those who are reasonable are rewarded. Those who try to abuse the system, get abused.

Many, many players try to abuse the PQ/NQ system, and as such they fully deserve to have their flaws respecced.

'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <06-30-11/2307:52> »
Especially if they're responsible for burning down that Stuffer Shack.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #17 on: <06-30-11/2310:50> »
I thought the problem was that all these folks took the dayjob quality to have some guaranteed income and then decided that they were not feeling it and wanted to just quit the job and ditch the quality.  So, I say exchange it.  They want to drop the quality, so let them pick new ones to fit their characters how they imagine them.  Maybe the job involved their skills in some way?  Pow!  Records on File.  Whatever.

The real problem is when someone takes day job and dependent, kills their dependent, quits their job and burns their SIN.
That's when things get really nasty.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #18 on: <06-30-11/2327:29> »
Quit your job?  Hope you're able to get all the black marks that are now on various records of yours deleted, 'cause you'll never get another job again after that.  There's a lot more bodies waiting for your job after all.

Killed your dependent?  Too bad you weren't the only family she had.  (Read my first bit of fiction, "On The Hunt", for ideas.).

Burned your SIN?  How?  Did you get the back-ups?  The secondary back-ups?  The DTF back-ups?  The RAID-∞ Back-ups the IT department made out of a couple gross of RFID tags because they were mis-shipped to the site and they were bored (And it was easier to use them up than return them.)?  Hope that SIN isn't in any other independent systems, like the Megacorporation that owned your dreky job you just quit or in some Black BBS where a bored Neo-@ Decker/Hacker had grabbed what looked like Paydata but wasn't, but "Information Wants To Be Free" so posted it anyhow.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #19 on: <07-01-11/0203:40> »
Burned your SIN?  How?  Did you get the back-ups?  The secondary back-ups?  The DTF back-ups?  The RAID-∞ Back-ups the IT department made out of a couple gross of RFID tags because they were mis-shipped to the site and they were bored (And it was easier to use them up than return them.)?  Hope that SIN isn't in any other independent systems, like the Megacorporation that owned your dreky job you just quit or in some Black BBS where a bored Neo-@ Decker/Hacker had grabbed what looked like Paydata but wasn't, but "Information Wants To Be Free" so posted it anyhow.

Unwired p96. ;)

A character can strip a SIN with a
series of system intrusions and Hacking + Edit (System, 1 hour)
Tests on challenging nodes; the gamemaster decides the target sys-
tem ratings and can choose to play these out or summarize them
quickly with an Extended Hacking + Edit (Rating of fake SIN x
System, 1 hour) Test.
When a SIN is burnt or stripped, the character loses all on-
line accounts, licenses, DocWagon contracts, rental agreements,
deeds for property, and legal debts tied to that SIN.

For fake SINs, but it details the hacks needed to break the registry.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #20 on: <07-03-11/2232:49> »
Unwired p96. ;)

A character can strip a SIN with a series of system intrusions and Hacking + Edit (System, 1 hour) Tests on challenging nodes; the gamemaster decides the target system ratings and can choose to play these out or summarize them quickly with an Extended Hacking + Edit (Rating of fake SIN x System, 1 hour) Test.

When a SIN is burnt or stripped, the character loses all on-line accounts, licenses, DocWagon contracts, rental agreements,
deeds for property, and legal debts tied to that SIN.

For fake SINs, but it details the hacks needed to break the registry.
This is all well and good, but it's not going to be a good enough in-game mechanic to wipe away the Karma requirement to remove the associated NQ (or replace them with others).

PC's may have some control (or at least leaning) towards what NQ's will replace the ones they work to remove in-game, but it's all under GM-license, which should be meted out as appropriate to the campaign and players...
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <07-07-11/1552:13> »
My advice would be: They took those flaws for a reason. And you can't really turn them into something they didn't have in mind.
Errr yes, yes you can. If someone takes some NQ for the roleplaying aspects, and will pro-actively utilise them in-game, all good.

But it really burns me up when people take 'manageable' flaws just for the BP, and those PC's suddently find their flaws aren't as manageable as they thought they were
- PC: But my Enemy is on the other side of the world and has no contacts here! And I'm Erased!
- GM: Enemies have long memories chummer, and they scraped together the cash for a PI to find you, a Sub-orbital to get here and a crew to hunt you down. Now, about your upcoming mission....

- PCBut, I'm only allergic to Fresh Amazonian orchids!
- GM:Well, guess what the Johnson wants you to acquire...from a florist...

- PC: But I took Day-Job so I'd have a steady income!
- GM: Yeah, but the Stuffer Shack burned down on your shift and you've been fired. Choose from Bad Reputation, Hung out to Dry, Criminal Sin etc etc

This is the same as Initiates choosing the Astral Quest ordeal, and then deciding what NQ they get... falls under my GM Approval category... and those who are reasonable are rewarded. Those who try to abuse the system, get abused.

Many, many players try to abuse the PQ/NQ system, and as such they fully deserve to have their flaws respecced.

The trick here is to make sure the GM is approving all negative qualities.  An enemy that never shows up or a day job that is not a pain in the ass is not really a negative quality.

Day Job in particular needs watching.  It does give income.  Twenty hours a week can pay for a low lifestyle.  But it also means punching a clock and toeing the line.  You can't jump on a sub-orbital for Rangoon if someone offers you a out of town job.  You can't turn up with head to toe bruises or a bullet hole in your shoulder without a really really good story.  Your creepy freinds can't drop by and yank you off on a mission any time they need you.  Its worth points becuase its a pain in your backside.  If you just want money, take trustfund.  You pay points for that, as you should.

Also, something to keep in mind as a GM is that unless a character is SINless, wanted, seriously anti-social, or just plain resentful of authority of any kind, there needs to be significant financial incentives to keep someone running.  If characters struggle to cover their whoppping low lifestyle, which they could do with a half time job, then they are going to start thinking really hard about dumping the whole thing and either taking that job, or just turning to conventional crime.  You can make more boosting cars, hijacking the occasional truck, or going permanent with a criminal organization.  I am not saying money should be falling out of the sky, but those campaigns where everyone is alwys just barely making rent never make much sense to me.

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #22 on: <07-10-11/0558:45> »
Maybe you should let it go the other way for a bit.  Most Shadowrunners want to run but maybe this your runner is a reluctant runner.  His character could be wanting to go straight but can't.  He may be paying for med bills or just sending money to family, getting pulled into family or bad friends ways, or just can't get away from the thrill even though he wants too.  Instead of downplaying the dayjob let it be his down shifting into normal or maybe his secret identity.  You can make his character always be looking at maybe be getting out of the biz and buy a bowling alley or something to give to his kid.  Just a different take to maybe play.   
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #23 on: <07-14-11/2259:54> »
Is money important, get a load of this guy. Of course it's important.  ;D Terminally important.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <07-15-11/0256:07> »
Important enough that folks shoot people in the face for it.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #25 on: <07-15-11/1122:48> »
Important enough that folks shoot people in the face for it.  ;D

Many people were gonna shoot each other in the face anyway.  They killed for honor, territory, religion, and culture long before there was a currency system. Way before it became a job it was some peoples lifesyles.  Motives are a very tricky thing.   
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <07-15-11/1215:02> »
And before there was shooting, there was stabbing and clubbing.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Tex Muldoon

• Newb
  • Just squeeezzee the trigger?
« Reply #27 on: <07-31-11/0521:18> »
Ok. Here is the thing. They all wanted to play people new to the shadows. All their characters were born in the last 18 years, after The Crash2.0 (2055) so they all took SINs for being born to wageslaves. I told them they could do anything they wanted to do and as a group all agreed on this course of action. They all wanted to work at the stuffer shack to pay for their low lifestyle. Hope this helps

"You don't shoot til the can hits the ground" Snake Pliskin

Trenchknife

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <07-31-11/1514:58> »
Money is nice, but I'm researching a way to sacrifice money and earn karma.
It's not the man with the gun that gets you.  It's the three bullets he fired that tore through you vital organs that's killed you.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #29 on: <07-31-11/1517:38> »
Ok. Here is the thing. They all wanted to play people new to the shadows. All their characters were born in the last 18 years, after The Crash2.0 (2055) so they all took SINs for being born to wageslaves. I told them they could do anything they wanted to do and as a group all agreed on this course of action. They all wanted to work at the stuffer shack to pay for their low lifestyle. Hope this helps
[nitpick]
Crash 2.0 was 2065.
[/nitpick]