NEWS

Oil and primary energy in the 6th world

• 40 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #30 on: <06-28-11/1138:54> »
Whatever it is, it is likely bioengineered for maximum yield and patented up the ying yang...
Algae-Fuel, from the same vat that brought you Algae Chips and Soylent Red!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <06-28-11/2234:50> »
The benefits of having things created using solar energy is that we aren't increasing the rate at which it depletes, are are just taking advantage of it. The problem is limits to the efficiency of solar power. I don't know what kinds of power they use in the SR universe though.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #32 on: <06-28-11/2354:16> »
Electricity and Mana for the most part.   :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <06-29-11/0120:10> »
In RL, the late Dr. Bussard's polywell fusor which is on incarnation number 8 at present and funded by the Navy. It will use Boron 11 as its primary fuel source and is thought to have a reactor footprint equal to three buses.

TDP (Thermal Depolymerization) is another technology that was able to transform sewage, plastics, and other biomass into hydrocarbons. There was a smell factor from the plant but I doubt that would hinder the financially motivated though. Here is the catch though, there simply isn't enough of the raw material to offset our current fuel requirements.

Electric is going to be far more prevalent and with the advancements with carbon nanotubes being utilized in battery development we will have plenty of power to move along. I believe it is scientists at MIT are working on a battery incorporating carbon nanotubes that would provide the power that the 900 lbs. litium battery used to power the Tesla Roadster reduced down to 9 lbs. If they are right, that, sort of shift of power to weight ratio would make high speed (and high torque) electric motors the best mode of transportation around.

The other bit about carbon nanotubes is the rumbling that multiple scientists have done tests showing it has room temperature superconductor capabilities. Increase battery power and increase electric motor performance...seems to me that carbon nanotubes (aka graphene) is going to be the ticket.

Solar film has been another area where research has exceeded expectations in efficiency and production costs. Solar films are reaching levels of traditional silcon wafer cells.

All in all, I do believe in RL our energy problems are going to be sorted out. Deep sea carbon sequestration should serve to reverse atmospheric CO2 levels. Not very dystopian mind you...but I have high hopes.  ;)
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #34 on: <06-29-11/0140:59> »
Faith in Humanity...

Hope you're right and I'm wrong, John.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

grimjaws

• Chummer
« Reply #35 on: <06-29-11/1111:09> »
I like the solar updraft tower idea, especially ones built on montainsides that would draw polluted air out of cities via the updraft created. Now it is only feasable in highly insolated areas (the first ones have been built in Spain), but latitude has little effect and it is predicted that solar towers in the arctic would be about 85% as efficient as ones in lower latitudes. Plus it is a fairly simple and green making it fairly attractive to the PCC and Trans Polar Aleut.
SR1+ SR2 SR3 SR4++ SR5+++ h b++ B-- UB- IE- RN--- !W sa++ ma++ sh+++ ad+++ m+++ e- o++ t++ gm+ M- P-

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #36 on: <06-29-11/1124:55> »
Mostly the problem with renewable sources is not the generating, but the instability of the source fenomena. So the issue is one of energy storage, not generation.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

grimjaws

• Chummer
« Reply #37 on: <06-29-11/1242:04> »
Mostly the problem with renewable sources is not the generating, but the instability of the source fenomena. So the issue is one of energy storage, not generation.
Which would make me think that most grids have multiple sources of power to help smooth things out, plus I would guess there are "super grids" (smart grids as well) being used, at least within national boundaries.*

*There are currently super smart grids being planned in Europe (SuperSmart Grid, North Sea Offshore Grid and ISLES), and one is being considered, with much less enthusiasm in the US (Unified Smart Grid).
« Last Edit: <06-29-11/1255:50> by grimjaws »
SR1+ SR2 SR3 SR4++ SR5+++ h b++ B-- UB- IE- RN--- !W sa++ ma++ sh+++ ad+++ m+++ e- o++ t++ gm+ M- P-

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <06-29-11/1349:17> »
Energy storage is becoming less of a problem, there is a ceramic battery the size of a plate that can store enough energy for the average house to operate off of for a 24 hour period. If memory serves it operates just under 200 degree F, last time I checked it was selling for $2000, so not cheap. One of the things that I was pondering was a photovoltaic setup charging up the batteries, thus causing them to heat up and then running a loop from a geothermal heat pump to get that last bit of kick from 50 F to 70 F during the colder months. At night, when not charging, heat would be generated by the battery discharge or you could have two such batteries and transfer the charge from one to the other when electrical usage is the lowest. The real question is how many BTUs do the batteries put out and I have not found that information laying about to date.

@CanRay, I have faith that the profit motive will drive the market to come up with solutions and far less in the nobility of the average person. People can be counted on to act in their own best self interest...well...some people...others are just weird.  ;)
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

grimjaws

• Chummer
« Reply #39 on: <06-29-11/1623:11> »
Energy storage is becoming less of a problem, there is a ceramic battery the size of a plate that can store enough energy for the average house to operate off of for a 24 hour period. If memory serves it operates just under 200 degree F, last time I checked it was selling for $2000, so not cheap.
Those "battaries" look really cool. One is in the form of a condenser (EEStor) and the other is a more traditional battery made of ceramics (Ceramatec, no name for the battery yet). I'm guessing V2G would be pretty wide spread as well.

So I wonder, if there are that many electric vehicles and fusion reactors, shouldn't air quality be somewhat better? Unless industry pollutes more to make up for it, which would not surprise me as environmental regs seem to be a thing of the long past in most SR nations.
« Last Edit: <06-29-11/1629:29> by grimjaws »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <06-29-11/1836:09> »
Industry pollutants, with Megacorporations being extraterritorial, would skyrocket.

And old friend of mine (In both senses of the word "Old") had a job monitoring the smelter in my hometown, and described how things had changed over his career.  Let's just say "A lot" and "He got out in time before the company really started to seriously begin considering to shut the place down as they can't upgrade it as cheaply as build a new one where there's cheaper land and workforce."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11